Turn FF in a truck??

sage

I am getting ready to turn DS from RF to FF. My issue is my husband's car. It's a small truck. Ford Ranger. While I am already uneasy about my son riding in the front of a truck, I have no choice. I try to drive him as often as possible, and the airbag is turned off, but there are still occassions that he needs to ride with Dad.

I am afraid that by turning him to FF he will lose any extra protection he may have had from something coming through the windshield in a collision.

Do you think it would be ok to turn him FF in my car, but leave him RF in my husband's? Will this make DS carsick by switching him back and forth in the different cars? (note: he has never had any issues with carsickness, I just don't want to provoke any)

ADS

sage

He is 16 mos and 25 lbs.

I am not talking about turning him tomorrow, I am planning for the upcoming months. I have been concerned about this issue for awhile.

jdubsm

I'd keep him rf in both vehicles as long as his seat allows. He's safest that way in either vehicle.

skaterbabs

he has quite a while, perhaps as much as two years depending on his growth patterns. Which seat does he have now?

sage

He has an Evenflo Titan in the truck and a Marathon in mine.

Yes, I know he is safest RF in both to the upward limits of each seat. That wasn't really what I was asking. Please don't misunderstand me.

I am asking about collision safety with something coming through the glass if he is FF in a truck.

I am also asking if he will have issues being RF in one car and FF in another.

skaterbabs

Some kids have issues being RF in one and not the other vehicle, some do not. If you're concerned about him being FF in the truck when he outgrows the Titan, I'd suggest you purchase a seat with a 35 lb limit. After he's 35 lbs, he MUST be turned no matter what. There are no seats in the US that RF past 35 lbs.

FWIW, the Titan is a pretty short seat. He may outgrow it soon anyway.

lovinwaves

My kids go back and forth from rf'ing and ff'ing all the time LOL! Never heard a peep out of them about :D

I think the important thing is that you don't make a big deal about it, or mention it outloud to them or anyone where they could hear. Just put him in the seat like it's not big deal whether it is ff'ing or rf'ing :)

With all this said, I would definitely keep him rear-facing for awhile. 18mths is really the minimum recommended for ff'ing.

sage

Thank you ladies. I appreciate the feedback!

I guess when the time comes, we will just give it a shot and see how he handles switching back and forth. If it works, I may put the Marathon in the truck to keep it RF to 35 lbs. But hopefully, we will be able to get rid of the truck in the next year and it won't be an issue anymore.

I am not planning to turn him before 18 mos. I truly don't know when I will be turning him yet. This is just one of those things (the truck issue) that gives me bad dreams so I am thinking about it alot, KWIM?

Thanks for letting me think out loud with you ladies!

lovinwaves

Britax Marathon's rear-face to 33lbs, unless you just got a newer one, and the sticker on the side of the seat specifically says it rear-faces to 35lbs ;)

sage

Britax Marathon's rear-face to 33lbs, unless you just got a newer one, and the sticker on the side of the seat specifically says it rear-faces to 35lbs ;)

Ah... you are right. 33 for mine. ;)

Now I am confused. DH is not home, so I can't go check his seat, but Evenflo's website says the Titan can RF to 35 lbs? That doesn't seem right to me... :confused:

TXAggieTech

My son is RFing in our vehicle and FFing in Granny's. He has never complained. He stayed RFing in hers until he was almost 4, he is 4.5 now. Most of the time he is RFing but has FF'd occasionally since 2.

Unless one of the Marathons I order this week comes with a 35 lb sticker he will turn sometime next week for good.

Ice Princess

the newer titian have a higher rf limit as well as a higher ff limit. it depends on what you sticker says and d of m.

My son is 35mos rf in a scerena in my car (rides with me the most)
and ff in a evenflo triumph in his dad's. He has no problems going back and forth. It is just normal to him.

MommyBoha

My 26 month old is RF in my car, and FF in DHs car(shes outgrown the crappysport RF and has maybe an inch before I can finally get rid of it all together). She is only in DHs car maybe once a month and shes never had any problems.

sage

Thank you so much everyone! I'm glad to hear that there are kids out there who have experience with this and do fine!

And I didn't realize that Evenflo also upped their weight limits. I mean heck, we just bought all our seats last summer with recent DOM's and they are already outdated by the new and improved! :rolleyes:

skaterbabs

Yep, lots of kids go back and forth with no problem. My own daughter hated forward facing, so she was thrilled when she went back RF. Like you, our "spare" seat had a lower rear facing limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC