How to keep DD from moving chest clip?

ffpmcps

OK ladies I have a problem with DD#2. Keep in mind she is 17mo, so talking to her and reasoning with her doesn't really work. She has always been quite the escape artist in general. She is a little peanut and has narrow shoulders. She can managed her way out of any peice of clothing I put on her. She can get out of her PJ's that zip and have the extra snap at the top just by wiggling out through the neck hole without even unzipping them!. She is RF in a ET, the old ones, not the advanced. Well twice now she has managed to get one of her arms out of the harness. The second time I caught her doing it in the mirror, so I stopped and pulled over to see how she was actually getting out. The harness straps are tight. Since the first escape a couple of days ago, I have really made sure they are tight. I actually think they may be too tight on her shoulders, digging in, and that is leading to her frustration and trying to get out. The problem, I think is with the bowl shape of the seat, they can be very tight on her shoulders, but in her belly area they are not as tight. What she does is push the chest clip down as low as she can. Then because of the very slight slack by her tummy, she bends her arm and passes her hand through by ber belly and then sort of dips her shoulder and wiggles it until the strap slips off the edge. :eek:

So I don't think there is any way I can get the straps any tighter. I think the best way to prevent it is to prevent her from sliding the chest clip down. Any suggestions on how to do that? Like I said she is RF, so I don't always catch her right away.

TIA for any suggestions.

Andrea

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

How are you determining tightness? In my experience it's very difficult to move the chest clip when the harness is fully tightened. You should not be able to pinch a horizontal fold in the harness at her shoulders. If you can, the harness is too loose.

ffpmcps

I definately can't pinch it, and on the top of her shoulders, I can't even get a finger in it. Down lower though, just above the buckle, I still can't pinch it, but can get a finger under it. I think it is the way she sits, curved a little like the bowl shape, if that makes since.

Andrea

twinsplusone

I ahve the exact same issue with my tiny, 21lb 30 month old. Drives me crazy. I am always having to pull over and fix her belt. She gets both arms out. She is in a Roundabout. I never had this problem with my 4 yr old son. He is so adamant that everyone is buckled in tight. He tells me when his sister is out her buckle.

TerisBoys

Try something to distract her...Soft book with flaps, special car dolly, something like that.

Or put a jacket/button front shirt on her backwards over the harness. It'll at least slow her down.

This too shall pass :)

wildeyes

what about putting the icky side of the velcro on the chest clip, so that when her hands touch it whe wont like it, but its not on the straps??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC