Tether info: 2001 Durango/1998 Expedition

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Those are the right cars, right, ladies?
Durango is listed as the third row Tether anchors are "square rings in rear scuff plate trim"... ONLY outboard, center is not available (is there even a center seat in the third row?)

1998 Expedition: No, you must absolutely NOT use the cargo tie downs... Britax shouldn't have recommended that (major liability issue, there...). There are Drill Dimples in the floor for the center, and Drill Dimples along front edge of load floor for the outboard seats, hopefully that's where your dh drilled ;)
Anyway, part numbers are F75Z 78613D74-AA and Ford will install them free under prgram R7C. (my friend has a Ranger and they quoted her well over 100 bucks to drill into her car's drill dimple and install the anchor, until she told them it was FREE, then they definitely did it...Ford corporate pays them back for the time, but I bet they'd rather get a check out of the customer on the spot, yeah?)

:)

ADS

Tara

No worries about the cargo holds here..that was in the Suburban..dunno if 'they' said it was alright, but Britax did. But that's NOT been done here in my Expedition.
I currently have nothing tethered in the rear seat on this vehicle.
I'll double check with hubby about that drill dimple for the center.
"front edge of load floor" I can't get my head around that..what does that mean?
Ok, still trying to think here... drill dimples in the floor for the center..meaning center row center seat?
What about the rear seat? Is that what the 'frong edge of load floor for outboard' means?

Help! I'm confused LOL

Speak slowly and use small words...I'm having 'one of those days' LOL

KeikiHula

joolsplus2 said:
Those are the right cars, right, ladies?
Durango is listed as the third row Tether anchors are "square rings in rear scuff plate trim"... ONLY outboard, center is not available (is there even a center seat in the third row?)

Ok, there are only 2 seats in the 3rd row, and they both have tether anchors (the little square ring things). There are also tether anchors for both the outboard seats in the second row, but none for the middle seat. That's the one I want to know about. In the model *without* the 3rd row, there is a tether anchor in the center seat. So 1) I don't understand why they don't put one for the center seat in the model with the 3rd row, and 2) I need to know if it can be put there so I can then go to the Dodge dealership and tell them to install one. ;)
Thank you!! for looking though. I need to just go through the classes and get certified so I can have my own book. LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Darn Durango... nope, no middle top tether for the center row (they weren't required to, so they didn't bother... Don't you just LOVE most auto companies utter dedication to child safety of their own volition? NOT :p)

Well, glad to hear you aren't using the cargo hooks now, Tara... (hey, at least the lurkers are getting a clear message, hope you didn't feel I was overreacting!).
Now, if only I know what the heck this book means, I WOULD translate it better, lol. I wonder if your DH would know? Maybe it's something obvious but we don't have the car-vocabulary to talk about it? (Daaaaaaarrrennnn....Do you know?) (I'll go ask him in the tech section to check this out...)

Tara

LOL well, at least it wasn't just me who couldn't make sense of it
Yeah, I'm thinking it certainly can't be THAT difficult, we're just missing something

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
joolsplus2 said:
Now, if only I know what the heck this book means, I WOULD translate it better, lol. I wonder if your DH would know? Maybe it's something obvious but we don't have the car-vocabulary to talk about it? (Daaaaaaarrrennnn....Do you know?) (I'll go ask him in the tech section to check this out...)

Um...Yeah. Of course. In technical terms, that is what we refer to as a thing-a-majiggy. You laypeople may just call it a do-hickey.

Tara

LOL
Um...Yeah. Of course. In technical terms, that is what we refer to as a thing-a-majiggy. You laypeople may just call it a do-hickey.

Now THAT was funny ;)
You sure it's not the whatchamajigger? Or am I confusing the two now, they are so similar you know

KeikiHula

LMBO Darren. :D So I know exactly what the "rear scuff plate" is in my Durango. It's a little strip of plastic right inside the back door. Maybe the "load floor" is just a fancy term for the floor in the cargo area. ~shrug~ My mom has a '99 and I know we tethered the boys seats to actual factory tethers anchors. Maybe they would be in the same place, but in '98 they didn't put the anchors in? I will call my mom and ask her to describe where the anchors are (I don't remember) and this weekend while she is visiting, I can take some pics of it and email them to you Tara. I don't know if it will help, but maybe it would give you an idea of where to find the dimples.

So Julie, or anyone else, any idea why there is a factory anchor in the center in the 2 row model, but not in the 3rd row model? I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same body, they just put a 3rd row in some. So I wonder if the dimple is there? GGRRR....I was really hoping to be able to put a an EZOn in the center.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
KeikiHula said:
So Julie, or anyone else, any idea why there is a factory anchor in the center in the 2 row model, but not in the 3rd row model? I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same body, they just put a 3rd row in some. So I wonder if the dimple is there? GGRRR....I was really hoping to be able to put a an EZOn in the center.

Just a wild guess-

They removed to save a few bucks because they already met the minimum requirements in the three row model without it...

If they do indeed have the same floor, it's a good bet the dimple and maybe even a weld nut are already there.

KeikiHula

hmmm...I'll have to check it out. ;) Thanks Darren. I'm betting though that if it's not in the book, I would have a hard time convincing Dodge to do it for me. :rolleyes: Although if I went with the EZOn, they might....gotta call them...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC