Traveling with car seats question

jdubsm

I know that everyone here recommends carrying on your car seats/boosters when traveling. We'll be flying for our first time in April and will be taking two Parkways and I'm going to buy one scenera for my son(if he doesn't grow 1/2 inch before our trip). I'll carry on the Scenera for my son to use on the plane but had planned to check the Parkways. I have the boxes that they were shipped to me in from Britax. Do you think that the airlines handle them worse than Fed Ex or UPS? Why do you recommend gate checking vs curbside checking them? With the original packaging would your answer be different? I'd rather not hassle with three kids, one stroller, two carry ons and three car seats through the airport but will if it's much safer.

Thanks!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The problem with checking seats, asside from the risk that they could get broken, is that they may not arrive at the same time you do. Murphy's Law of Travel states that the one thing you need to have before you can leave the airport will be the thing that gets redirected to Newfoundland. If you must check them (as with the Parkways), check them at the gate. That way, they're the last thing on the plane and the first thing off.

vonfirmath

Sometimes, IMHO, one has to decide what risks they are willing to take. Yes, car seats could go missng. But even checking at the gate, our carseat went missing over christmas. And I found out the airport has carseats to loan in that circumstance. (And in good/new condition. You get to choose your carseat out of a room of carseats they have) Not ideal. But for me, in the circumstance of "just in case" my luggage is lost, I've decided I'd be comfortable with it. I'd be even more comfortable if the alternative was manhandling 3 different seats through the airport.

Another option I'd be very tempted by would be to have whoever is on the other end buy car seats and bring them to the airport with them for me to install. Just depends on how long we'd be on that end.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't trust the airline with the PWs, even in the box. I've seen alot of Britax (and other carseat) boxes from UPS/FedEx/whoever arrive on my doorstep really banged up and even torn open. Because the PW has so many moving parts, I'd be afraid something would be squashed or broken. If I could swing it financially, then I'd either get a RideSafer Travel Vest or folding boosters such as the compass that could be stuck in a bag and carried on.

jdubsm

This is such a tough decision. I traveled alot before kids so I've had my share of lost luggage and beat up suitcases. The airlines can be really rough on things which is my main issue of checking them. There is no one to ship them to in Florida since we're going on vacation and not visiting any family or friends. I'm trying to figure out logistically how we could get everything through the airport if I carry them on and gate check them. One time I could handle it but we have a double connection.

I look at the Compass boosters this weekend at Target and BRU and see how they are. We purchases the Parkways on sale for this trip but I guess you can never have too many car seats. My son will eventually need one and it's always good to have a spare for a friend.

Thanks for the replies.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
2.5 years ago when I flew with my kids I checked their carseats (this was before I knew better, my grandma had died and my mom bought two seats assuming ds would be a lap baby), when I got to my destination, the seats were not there! They lost all of our luggage including the Britax Marathon for my son - who was too big for an infant carrier but only 8 months old, and a Britax Laptop I had for my 4 year old who was too tall for the Marathon and far too young for a booster.

How did we leave the airport? loaner carseats.

The choices? An infant seat (ds was AT the weight limit and his head was slightly peeking above the top of the shell). A forward facing combo seat (dd was too tall & too heavy, ds was too young to forward face). A backless booster (for dd, it was this, or nothing).

I was terrified and angry as we drove to my moms house with my son in an infant seat he was too big for and my daughter in a backless booster.

NEVER AGAIN.

drey

I just got back from vacation, & the condition of some of the carseats coming 'round on the baggage carousel made me glad I lugged mine on board... Of course, the seats could've been in that condition prior to baggage handling, but who knows? I brought a rolling carry-on bag just so I could strap my Radian to it to lug through the airport - I normally check everything and keep my fingers crossed...

With a Scenera & 2 Parkways, I'm not sure what to say. I'd bring the Scenera on board, as you mentioned. I'd probably try to get all 3 puzzled somehow on a roller-bag, and put the PWs overhead if the flight's not too full. If it is, I'd gate-check them. HTH! And good luck!

jdubsm

the condition of some of the carseats coming 'round on the baggage carousel

That's what I worry about and them not making it. If we end up taking the Parkways then I'll gate check them in their original boxes. I'm going to look at Compass boosters this weekend and see what they are all about. I do have a little folding cart that I'll try to attach the Parkways too and see if it will work.

This is going to be a real adventure. :)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
That's what I worry about and them not making it. If we end up taking the Parkways then I'll gate check them in their original boxes. I'm going to look at Compass boosters this weekend and see what they are all about. I do have a little folding cart that I'll try to attach the Parkways too and see if it will work.

This is going to be a real adventure. :)

Where did you find Compass boosters? I just bought one and it was delivered yesterday. I wasn't able to find any in our state.

It's much bulkier than I thought it would be, if I had realized how bulky it was I would have just taken the back off the turbobooster and put the two pieces in a bag to carry on the plane. I'm still taking it on my trip though, and ds can use it when he is older too.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
It's much bulkier than I thought it would be, if I had realized how bulky it was I would have just taken the back off the turbobooster and put the two pieces in a bag to carry on the plane. I'm still taking it on my trip though, and ds can use it when he is older too.

I've never folded up a Compass (I've only seen them on the shelves at the stores) but we do have TurboBooster and that's exactly what I plan on doing if we ever need to take it with us. Luckily, DS is still on the 2nd-from-the-top slots of the Radian so hopefully it will be awhile before we have to travel with a booster.

TerisBoys

An inexpensive portable booster is the Fisher Price Safe Voyage - $29.99 at Albeebaby.

http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-price-safe-voyage-booster-car-seat-tan-tech.html

Older DOM, and not the tallest seat, but the back comes off the base and can be checked in a suitcase (well padded with clothing or whatnot) and the bases carried on-board so you know you'll have them at the end of the trip.

My 8yo has about a 19" torso and fits in the FPSV on the highest setting.

Last edited:

TXAggieTech

If we end up taking the Parkways then I'll gate check them in their original boxes.

If you decide to do this make sure you pack tape so you can get seal the boxes on the way home!

My best friend flew to visit a few years back and the FA told her she could use her seat for who knows what reason and had her gate check it. When they landed the seat had been left at the first gate. The airport only had a backless booster and an ratty infant carrier that they tried to convince us to borrow. She was over the weight limit for the infant carrier and 10 months old so no way on the booster. They ended up letting us use the supervisor's nephew's seat out of her car. I went a tad crazy at their suggestion to use the booster and scared my friends a bit.

jdubsm

LOL TexasAggie! That would be something I would do. It still makes my dh a tad crazy after 10 years. :)

Gypsy -- I haven't even begun to look so thank you for letting me know they aren't here in town.

How is the Fisher Price seat rated? Is it a good booster? My girls always ride in their Regents and this will be the first extended times in a booster seat. I know they will both follow the rules but with them being so light weight, I'm going to be a nervous wreck. They fit so nicely in the Parkways.

Now I know why I've done all driving trips up until this point. This whole traveling with car seats and boosters is no easy task.

I really appreciate everyones advice.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Janet, I also have a TurboBooster if you want to try your girls in it.

I'll be in Boise Thursday evening, I need to pick someone up at the airport at 8:30pm, we could meet somewhere near there at around 7-7:30 so you can see the two boosters, play with them, try your kids in them et cetera if you would like?

TerisBoys

The FPSV is modeled after the old Britax StarRiser/Comfy. It's got some SIP in the headwings.

The main reason I suggested it for a travel seat is that it's inexpensive and easy to pack/carry.

jdubsm

That looks like a great option Teri. I researched it some more last night and saw that it was made by Britax. If I can convince dh, I'm going to purchase two of them for this trip and then I can sell them when we get back home. I'd hate for anything to happen to my Parkways.

Gypsy -- I'd love to meet up with you this week. Let me check dh's schedule and I'll pm you. My kids go to bed at 7pm so I'd come alone which would be more fun for me anyway. :)

my3sweeties

I'm trying to remember the configuration we did this past summer with the 3 kids (thanks to suggestions from this board).

I bought one of those rolling bags for carseats and fit DD2's Roundabout in there with the back of a Turbobooster. I checked that bag as luggage. I put the base of the TB in a carry-on bag and I folded up and carried a Radian. DD sat in the Radian on the plane. Bag arrived safely but at least if it had been lost, I had 2 carseats with me and it would be a lot easier to get the car rental agency to give me one carseat or head to the nearest Walmart for one seat than three.

Ellie
DD1 Feb. 2001 FF in Radian/Parkway
DS Jan. 2003 FF in Regent/Radian
DD2 April 2006 RF in Marathon/Roundabout

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC