$50 Booster for travel-any suggestions?

I'm still trying to figure out what seat to bring with us when we fly cross country. By DD, ~40 lbs, almost 5yo, is in an Apex in our car. I'm nervous to travel with it since it seems so flimsy. I was thinking I would get a booster since we could use one in our second car anyway. It seems the Graco Turbo Booster would be our best choice. Are there any others? We are leaving in a few days and our store selections are slim-Target, Kmart, and Fred Meyer for major dept. stores. Any tips helpful! Thanks

ADS

skipspin

Do you mean traveling by plane? If you are traveling by car I'd take the Apex. A child is safest harnessed, so even if the seat feels "flimsy" it's better than a booster.

If you are flying you need to know a few things. First, you cannot use a booster on the plane. So, you will have to carry it on or pack it in your luggage. Some people carry the LBB, and pack the back in with clothes, et. Then, even if the luggage is lost they have something for the child to ride in. Then, you need to consier your DD's maturity. Has hse ever sat in a booster? Will she sit correctly the entire time- even when sleeping?

My DD is 4.5 and over 40 lbs and sometimes sits in a booster. I really like her Parkway because even if she falls asleep she stays in position. Most of the seats (Evenflo, Graco, etc) available at wa-mart type stores just don't have that sleep support- but it really depends on your child.

Do you have a few days? You could order a Parkway and get it in just a few days from several sites. It's on sale for a really reasonable price. Or, you could get another harnessed seat, but that would be over your $50.

abacus2

The Parkway wouldn't be the best choice for flying with IMO since it doesn't come apart. The best travel booster is probably the Compass B510 Premier since it folds and comes with a carrying bag. It can fit in the overhead compartment. It is above your price range at $90, but it is very nice. The Turbo booster is a decent booster and can be packed in two pieces as described by pp. If you will be using cars with tether anchors and are willing to pay a little more to keep her harnessed conveniently, the Safeguard GO is available for $140.

I will be flying. That's the whole reason I'm worried about the Apex. My last car seat got so beat up on the airplane. She occasionally sits in a booster but it's an older one and about to expire. She LOVES to sit in the booster and is very proud and sits very still. I'm not worried about that aspect. Money is an issue but so is safety. What to do... we leave on Monday so no time to order on-line. I haven't seen the Compass B510 in any stores around here anyway. What makes it a better booster anyway?

Dillipop

If you install the APEX on the plane and have her sit in it, you won't have to worry about it getting damaged by the airline... Then you'll also have a safe seat that you know how to install when you get to your destination, too!

melniemi

I think a turbo booster would be fine for travel. You could pack the back in your luggage and take the backless part as a carryon. That way if your luggage gets lost, you'll have at least a backless booster for her to ride in. You can always lock the seatbelt if possible in the car to remind her not to lean out of position.

My DH thinks their is NO way my DD will sit in her carseat on the plane. I'm not sure sure. But it seems like such a great idea! I guess I have two choices then. What if I pack the seat in it's original box? Do you think that would protect it?

TXAggieTech

Most children do much better on the plane with their own car seat. They know the rules and don't expect to get out. They are more comfortable and much better protected. The airplane belt is too easy to unbuckle. I would take the seat on the plane and use it.

skaterbabs

Most children do much better on the plane with their own car seat. They know the rules and don't expect to get out. They are more comfortable and much better protected. The airplane belt is too easy to unbuckle. I would take the seat on the plane and use it.

I totally agree. She's far more likely to be content sitting still when she's in her car seat. She'll be more comfortable and might just sleep, especially if she's a car sleeper anyway.

I made the decision to buy a Turbo Booster. Though most recommended I bring her Apex on the airplane I'm just not sure If I can handle her, the car seat, our bags, layovers, and myself cross-country. One big concern to me was it takes me at least an hour to install the Apex securely in our vehicle and we arrive at midnight. And the Apex needs a headrest and I have no idea what our rental car will be like. Too much room for error... so do I check my booster in it's original box or split it up and carry the seat?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I made the decision to buy a Turbo Booster. Though most recommended I bring her Apex on the airplane I'm just not sure If I can handle her, the car seat, our bags, layovers, and myself cross-country. One big concern to me was it takes me at least an hour to install the Apex securely in our vehicle and we arrive at midnight. And the Apex needs a headrest and I have no idea what our rental car will be like. Too much room for error... so do I check my booster in it's original box or split it up and carry the seat?

Carry it! Don't ever check carseats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC