Child Safety research

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I stumbled across an AAP website with research studies regarding proper child safety seat use (it was dated 2002). I looked at some of the footnotes and came across this article from 1997:

Child safety seat misuse is still a concern in the nation. This paper addresses the patterns of child safety seat (CSS) misuse and reports on the techniques used to effectively collect this data. CSS use and misuse observations were collected for 5,900 target young children (under 27 kg or 60 pounds) in over 4,000 vehicles in four states: Mississippi, Missouri, Pennsylvania and Washington. Results showed overall CSS use for target children was 50.6%. Only 12.8% of these children were unrestrained, with the remainder were restrained in safety belts. Correct CSS use was defined as proper use of all of the following CSS elements: seat direction vehicle safety belt routing, harness buckle and harness strap, harness retainer (chest) clip, and locking clip (on safety belt). Overall correct CSS use was 20.5%. For infants (children under 9 kg or 20 pounds), 96.6% were in a CSS and 20.6% of these were correctly used. For toddlers (children between 9 and 18 kg or 20 and 40 pounds), 67.5% were in a CSS and 18.9% of these were correctly used. For pre-school children (between 18 and 27 kg or 40 and 60 pounds), 6.1% were in a CSS and 50% of these were correctly used. The strongest positive relationship between target child restraint use and CSS proper use was for drivers using safety belts. Other positive relationships were found for the vehicle having air bags, the driver being a family member, the child in the middle back seat position, and CSS infrequently removed from the vehicle.

Wow. Only 6% of preschoolers were restrained in a CRS of some sort, with only half of those being correctly restrained. :( I do recall a study where in recent years, crash safety statistics increased for all age groups except ages 4-9, perhaps b/c they are unproperly restrained (e.g., LBB, HBB w/shoulder belt behind back, or adult seatbelts).

Anyway, just thought I'd share this info.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Interesting. I'm shocked they found a 20% acceptable rate! Oh to have those numbers today.

It wouldn't surprise me if in some areas the 40-60 pound crowd was still in the single digit range.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC