Dorel high backs + seat back

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I know they require head support, but does that go for the thicker combination ones? The ones without headrests that go up and down? The 3 in 1s and the Alpha Sport, Traveler, Summit, etc? The 3 in 1s look like they shouldn't care, the Alpha Sport the same, the Summit looks like it would be ok, the Traveler looks like a kid sitting in it would break it anyway... What's the deal with those, since I know Dorel boosters like the Protek and Pronto and Apex require support from the car.

Wendy

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
That is a very good question, Wendy! I looked in the 06 AO manual and could not find anyhting that say you must have a high seat beack or headrest. I also looked at the 7/06 Apex manual and could not find where it states you must have a headrest or high seatback either. :confused: Maybe I glanced over it. CAn anyone give me apge number that it is on in the Apex manual?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Ok I found this in the Apex manual:
Do not use this child restraint
if the midpoint of your child’s
head is above the top of the
vehicle seat back or headrest.
I guess that is why they say you musy have a high seatback or headrest.

This is from the AOE manual:
Do not use this child restraint if the
midpoint of your child’s head is above the
top of the child restraint’s headrest.

From the Summit manual:
Do not use this child restraint if the
midpoint of your child’s head is above the
top of the child restraint’s headrest.

So my guess is that only the Apex requires high seatbacks or headrests.

Last edited:

MomToEliEm

Ok I found this in the Apex manual:

I guess that is why they say you musy have a high seatback or headrest.

This is from the AOE manual:

From the Summit manual:

So My guess is Yes, all the seats require high seatbacks or headrests.

But the apex says "vehicle seat back or headrest" while the AOE and Summit state "child restraint’s headrest". One is the vehicle and one is the actual carseat.

NVMBR02

Not a tech, just a parent...

But isn't the wording on the AO and the Summit the same as what is said in all carseat manuals? I read that the same as the top of the shell at the middle of the ears. Only the Apex one mentioned a car headrest.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
But the apex says "vehicle seat back or headrest" while the AOE and Summit state "child restraint’s headrest". One is the vehicle and one is the actual carseat.

OOPPS!! That it does :eek:. I guess it is a question for Dorel to clarify on ;).

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Not a tech, just a parent...

But isn't the wording on the AO and the Summit the same as what is said in all carseat manuals? I read that the same as the top of the shell at the middle of the ears. Only the Apex one mentioned a car headrest.

I mis read :eek:.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks all! Does anyone know about the other Dorel boosters that have adjustable headrests? I would assume they're like the Apex, while single piece boosters like the AO, Summit, and AOE aren't.

Wendy

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks all! Does anyone know about the other Dorel boosters that have adjustable headrests? I would assume they're like the Apex, while single piece boosters like the AO, Summit, and AOE aren't.

Wendy

I would guess they arethe same as the APEX. The Protec manual says:
Do not use this child restraint if the midpoint of your
child's head is above the top of the vehicle seat back.

The same as the Apex ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, and their other dedicated boosters (ugh, I don't know their names off hand...), including the Maxi Cosi Rodi, DO require the vehicle seat/headrestraint to be up to the midpoint of the child's head (they all have mega flimsy headrests...)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Don't know if this helps - I came across it in an old Safe Ride News (while researching HW RF seats). It is old so I don't know if it would still apply:

The Dorel Safety 1st Intera, a convertible
CR that can also become TWO belt-positioning boosters. It has a large base that becomes a backless booster and a separate internal shell that can be used as a high-back booster. The instructions for the high-back booster warn NOT to use it if the mid-point of the head rest is above the vehicle seat back.​

Kat_Momof3

I know the Cosco Prospect has that weird rule.

As far as I know, only the 3-in-1s, summits, and those super cheap highback combo seats without adjustable backs don't have that rule.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC