Techs from Oz/NZ, plus 86Y questions

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I know a lady whose five year old son is on massive steroid doses and is up to 72# suddenly. She's concerned about what to do. I told her to try out an 86Y with a booster (that's allowed over 65 pounds, right, just required below that?), and I mentioned trying to find out about an Aussie H harness with the anti-submarine clip. How heavy can that go? It can be used with any booster, right? Does the crotch strap attach to something? Is it something that can be bought separately (she wouldn't be against buying the whole harness if necessary). We have a mutual friend who lives in Australia, so getting our hands on one wouldn't be an issue, but I doubt she knows the ins and outs of them.

Thanks!

Wendy

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
I know a lady whose five year old son is on massive steroid doses and is up to 72# suddenly. She's concerned about what to do. I told her to try out an 86Y with a booster (that's allowed over 65 pounds, right, just required below that?), and I mentioned trying to find out about an Aussie H harness with the anti-submarine clip. How heavy can that go? It can be used with any booster, right? Does the crotch strap attach to something? Is it something that can be bought separately (she wouldn't be against buying the whole harness if necessary). We have a mutual friend who lives in Australia, so getting our hands on one wouldn't be an issue, but I doubt she knows the ins and outs of them.

Thanks!

Wendy

The best she can do is use a "child harness" BY ITSELF up till 74.8lbs, because that's it's highest weight limit. There's nothing she can use with it, because all boosters "stop" at 57lbs. But what's 2lbs especially when he's drastically gaining weight, you know? Her best bet would be importing something such as the 86-Y from the states, and perhaps even a booster to use with it, because depending on how tall they are, they might possibly need it and there's just NOTHING in Australia for her.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The best she can do is use a "child harness" BY ITSELF up till 74.8lbs, because that's it's highest weight limit. There's nothing she can use with it, because all boosters "stop" at 57lbs. But what's 2lbs especially when he's drastically gaining weight, you know? Her best bet would be importing something such as the 86-Y from the states, and perhaps even a booster to use with it, because depending on how tall they are, they might possibly need it and there's just NOTHING in Australia for her.

She's in the US, so a booster and 86Y are fine to use, it's just the 86Y is a four point harness, and for a five year old she'd like a five point. But you can't buy anti-submarine clips here like you can down there. She is fighting tooth and nail to avoid him in a booster only or a seatbelt only (since it's a real risk he'll max out boosters soon).

Wendy

CRS

Senior Community Member
She's in the US, so a booster and 86Y are fine to use, it's just the 86Y is a four point harness, and for a five year old she'd like a five point. But you can't buy anti-submarine clips here like you can down there. She is fighting tooth and nail to avoid him in a booster only or a seatbelt only (since it's a real risk he'll max out boosters soon).

Wendy

Ohhh ok I see where you're going now. I misunderstood, thought you meant they were FROM Australia. Sorry but there just isn't anything you can do. The Anti-submarine clip is literally attached to the booster seats, you can't take them off at all. It's not a clip you can just go and buy - sorry!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Argh, thanks. Oh well, four points are better than three.

But now, can a booster be used with one past 65 pounds? I'm pointing her toward deep winged high backs, trying to make a big kids Boulevard, sort of. .

Thanks!

Wendy

CRS

Senior Community Member
Argh, thanks. Oh well, four points are better than three.

But now, can a booster be used with one past 65 pounds? I'm pointing her toward deep winged high backs, trying to make a big kids Boulevard, sort of. .

Thanks!

Wendy

Can an 86-Y be used with a booster after 65lbs?

This is a post from Defrost in this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=32725&highlight=harness :

I called EZ-On when we first got our 86Ys to clarify the booster requirement.

A booster is REQUIRED when using the 86Y with children 40-65lbs.

A booster is OPTIONAL when using the 86Y with children over 65lbs, though they must still meet any height/weight requirements set by the booster (as in, just because the 86Y goes to 100-some-odd pounds doesn't mean you can use it with a booster that has a 100lb limit).

HBBs are optional, but recommended when the vehicle does not provide adequate head support. Routing the 86Y around the booster's headrest may be problematic with certain types of boosters if the back is too wide. Routing the 86Y over the top of the booster is an option with certain boosters (like the AOE in booster mode).

Hope that helps!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Excellent, thank you! I knew it had been discussed before. Duh, searching the archives here may have helped. LOL I'm not my best today.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC