ULRIKE - Germany CPS Questions

Trina

Hi Ulrike,
I thought of you when someone asked me questions regarding car seats and child restraint laws in Germany. Here is her post:

This came from our future base website (Germany). Can you put it in dummy terms for me?? LOL

Car Seats
According to German Law and AFI 31-204, SAB Supplement 1 (see more from AFI excerpt below), children under 12 years of age and under 4' 11" are required to be in a car seat. Also, children must be over 12 years old to ride in the front seat. Be sure to BRING with you the appropriate car sit or the booster sit (if your children weight more than 48 lbs).

(Excerpt from AFI 31-204, SAB Supplement 1) 2-9 Passengers

a. Children under the age of 12 are prohibited from riding in front seats except when other seats are occupied by children of a younger age. b. Vehicles will not be operated while passengers are improperly seated or when the number of passengers exceeds the number the vehicle was designed for or interferes with the operation. c. Children under 12 years of age and shorter than 4'11" are required to use suitable Economic Commission for Europe (ECE 44) approved or U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) approved child restraint devices when being transported in a USAREUR plated motor vehicle. While DOT child restraint devices are permissible when traveling in a USAREUR plated vehicle, German child restraint devices must be used when traveling in a German plated vehicle.

(1) Children weighing more than 48 lbs will use approved booster seats or other suitable approved devices designed for use with the vehicle's three point (lap and shoulder harness)seat belts.

(2) Booster seats will not be used with two point seat belts.

(3) Owners of a vehicle equipped with only two point seat belts in the rear seats should consider having three point systems professionally installed.

(4) Vehicles equipped only with two point seat belts in the rear seats must transport a child weighing over 48 pounds in a suitable approved device secured in the front seat with a three point seat belt. Additional children weighing over 48 pounds will be secured using the two point seat belt in the rear area.

What does it mean by 2 point seat belts?? What are 3 point seat belts?? Also, is it saying that only kids over 48 lbs. are authorized to be in booster seats?? If so, that that means that I would need to buy 2 new car seats for this tour. TIA!!!!

I figured you'd be the best person to ask. I have already explained the difference between 2 pt. and 3 pt. seat belts. I have also covered proper booster use, 5 Step Test, etc.. She just needs clarification on German CPS laws. Also, would she be able to use her American car seats or would she be required to buy German CRS?
Thanks!
Trina
CPST
cpstmom @ g mail .com

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The way I read that, if she's driving a car with US plates, she can use her US seat. Otherwise, she needs to use a German seat. AFAIK, all German seats have a max weight limit of 18 kg harnessed, so I don't know where the 48 lb comes from, but she can switch to a booster whenever best practice dictates.

HTH! If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC