Tiny 6yo in backless booster...issues, need ideas

diaperjoys

I posted yesterday looking for an approprate 5pt. for our little 6yo friend.

Her mother is concerned that this little gal won't transition well into a 5 pt. harness, and wants to know if there are any other options that would still be safe. She says the child has tactile issues and always had a big problem with a tight harness. Literally screamed the entire time she was strapped for the first couple years. Going to a booster was a "big relief" for them. She reports that this little gal doesn't sit still in her backless booster, that she does lots of turning around, reaching, etc.

So, what to recommend? Would you just have her go to a high back booster, and call that good? Or would you think that the only appropriate thing is a harness because she doesn't stay correctly positioned?

Weight: 42lbs. Torso: 15-16" Vehical: Nissan Quest 2001

Thanks for any help with this one!

ADS

Airforcemomma

My son is small like your friends daughter, he is 6, almost 7. My son still sits in a 5 point harness and will until he is too big for the highest capacity seat on the market.

Ideally she is much safer and far better off in a 5 point harness. If she does not have the ability to sit still and remain in the proper position for the entire trip in a booster seat I would put her back in a harness.

The childs comfort is important, but in my opinion the safety of the child is far more important.

Have your friend talk to her daughter and tell her that she needs to be in the harness for safety. Show her pic's of older kids riding in harness car seats. My son actually prefers the harness to a booster. He knows he's safer that way. Even when his friends ride in our van he's ok with them in boosters and him in a harness. He never complains. It's what he is used to though, he's never known any different. He rides in a booster on the very very rare occasion when he goes in someone else's vehicle or when the harness needs to be used for a smaller child.

However, based on what you have said about your friends daughter. I would absolutely put her back in a 5 point harness. I would not use a backless booster, especially with her inability to sit still. If she insists on continuing to use a booster I would use a high back booster and lock the seat belt, that way the child's movement is restricted to a point.

A screaming child can take it's toll on anyone in a vehicle, however I would rather put up with the screaming then give in to the screaming and demot the childs safety. Remember, every step up to the next child seat is a step down in safety.

firemomof3

I would try picking out her new car seat with her. Make her a part of the process, maybe she'll see a pretty color that she likes. The Regent is a nice, big seat that comes in a pretty "girly" color. Also, when she does get buckled in for the first time make a positive experience. For example, make sure shes not tired or hungry. Make it a short trip to get ice cream or something like that. Always reward her for the good behavior and ignore when she's screaming, don't give in because then she'll know how to get out of it. Good luck!:thumbsup:

musicmaj

I would try picking out her new car seat with her. Make her a part of the process, maybe she'll see a pretty color that she likes. The Regent is a nice, big seat that comes in a pretty "girly" color. Also, when she does get buckled in for the first time make a positive experience. For example, make sure shes not tired or hungry. Make it a short trip to get ice cream or something like that. Always reward her for the good behavior and ignore when she's screaming, don't give in because then she'll know how to get out of it. Good luck!:thumbsup:

:yeahthat:

If mom is adamant about going with a highback and not a harness then perhaps a seat like the parkway, vivo, monarch, monterey would be best. The side impact protection would cocoon the child more than a turbo booster would. She would not be able to lean to the side. Also, these seats would be more comfortable than her backless and she may sit still just because of that. I highly reccommend showing the child some crash test videos. My autistic child is now sitting properly in the car because of seeing the videos. If they can work to improve his impulse control, then they just might work with this six year old as well.

Gena

If the girl's problems with a 5 point harness are truly sensory issues, I don't think that having her pick a pretty seat or a girly cover will help. Think of it like this: Say you had to do your work with someone using a jackhammer just a few feet from your desk. It would probably drive you nuts. Then suppose the person said that to make things easier on you, you could choose what color shirt the jackhammer operator would wear. That really doesn't solve the problem, does it? To a child with severe tactile issues, the 5 point harness could be just as painful and nerve-wrecking as the jackhammer near your desk.

I would suggest using a good high back booster and the parent working with this child to train her how to sit properly. Start with short sessions in the booster and gradually lengthen the time. Use incentives like token economy (ie sticker charts) to help her see her progress.

skaterbabs

While that is true - there comes a time when you cannot allow the child to make the decision. I understand sensory issues, as do many of the other members here, and while they can often be worked around, when it comes to safety, the sensory issues must not be allowed to take priority over safety concerns. If this child is unable or unwilling to sit properly in her booster, a five-point harness is the next logical step. And since crashes happen every day and are the leading cause of unintentional injury and death for children, it would in my opinion be a mistake to give too many chances.

diaperjoys

Thanks for the tips, ladies! I sent her some video links, mother and daughter watched them together, and were both shocked.

The daughter says she'll go back to a 5 pt. harness. She really likes the look of the Madison Regent. Now I need to find out if it will install in their vehicle. She's over 40 lbs, so it would be SBP. Does anyone know? (Nissan Quest, 2001)

They'd come over to my house and try ours, but they have the flu and are trying not to spread it to my children.

scatterbunny

AWESOME that the daughter understood the crash test videos and now wants a Madison Regent! :thumbsup: My daughter also understood crash test videos, they were much more powerful than simply trying to tell her how important it is to use her harnessed seats or sit in her booster properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC