Someone tell me how to install a Regent!

Holly

A friend of mine really wanted in on the Britax sale, she wanted a regent for her big 3 yr old dd. She wasn't sure if she'd have all the money in time to order before the sale went off, she is a daycare provider and is not always paid on time.

We have tax return money sitting in our savings to use later this year, so I offered to order one for her and it would guarantee she'd get the sale price but it would give her more time to get the money.

I ordered the Onyx Regent this morning from babycatalog.com.
It's being shipped to me and they are going to pick it up from me when it comes in. I offered to help her install it when they come, but I haven't a freaking clue how to install the regent!

They have a van, I'm not sure what type. I think it's an older one, I don't know if it has latch or locking seatbelts. I've never used a locking clip before, I'm afraid I'm going to look so stupid trying to install it, and I'm going to need to study the manual forever trying to figure it out. She thinks of me as a Great source of car seat info because I talk about them all the time on our online local mommy board. But I know with the Regent I wont have the slightest clue how to do it.

Also, I'm pretty sure it will be dark out when they come to pick it up and I bet her dh will not want to stick around long to wait for me to figure it out. Should I just tell them I really haven't installed a regent before and I dont know how and I want to make sure it gets in there properly so I don't want to do it wrong?
Should I send them to a tech (Crunchy, they live up near the airport, is that close to you? Should I have her call or e-mail you, or vice versa?)

I'm pretty excited to see it, this is my first Britax purchase and it's not even mine!

ADS

Holly

Thanks! I j ust reaad that and now I feel like I have a pretty good idea how to do it.
I asked her about the kind ov van she has and the type of seatbelts etc.
She has a 95 plymouth grand voyager and she is pretty sure it doesn't have latch or locking seat belts.

I will need to use a locking clip right? Where on the belts do I put the locking clip? Anyone have a pic of an install with a locking clip?
Also, does the top tether have to be used? She's not sure if she has one, but thinks she's seen one bolted on the floor behind the captains chair, thats the spot where it's supposed to be right?
If she doesnt have one, does she need to get one installed?
I use the short belt path for 40 lbs and up right?
Her dd is 3 and she's pretty sure is very close to 40 lbs if not 40 lbs already. If she turns out to be like 38 lbs or something, can I use the short belt path anyway?

HEVY

If she is 40lbs then SBP, if she's like 38lbs then I can't comfortably answer that, weighing her should be easy. Tether needs to be used over 50lbs so if she doesn't have one she should get one for future, if she does have one I would use it anyway. The locking clip can only be used on shoulder/lap belt not just a lap belt. And it is used where the shoulder and lap belts meet above the buckle. And you have to use the recline bar. All this I've written is for the seat after DOM of 6/18/07. If it's before then there will be different instructions.

Here's a pic of the locking clip. Both belts need to be in it.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/image/lockingclip.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Top tether must also be used for the short belt path with the lap and shoulder belt.

Here's a good page with step by step directions. It's easier than it sounds.

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

The first time I installed a Regent was in your situation. A friend got it on my recommendation and I asked if I could install it. It was dark, but their garage light was on outside. This was a pre-advisory Regent, so I go to choose which install for them. It was so much fun and so confusing. Did I look like a dork? Probably. But I knew more about that seat than she did. While I hadn't put my hands on a short or long belt path before I knew there was a difference, I'd heard of it, so it wasn't completely alien to me to see it in the manual. I double checked and triple checked myself, read the tethering and recline bar parts over and over and got it in and taught the mom how to do it. Even now I'll stop and read the manual of a seat if I'm not sure. It does a couple of things. First, it educates me (and then the parents) and two, shows the parents that yes you need the manual and you need it with your seat. LOL But one of the things they teach you in tech class is to say "I don't know." It basically comes down to reading the manuals, and just knowing enough about carseats in general to then say, "Well, I don't know for this seat, but I know a trick that works on this other seat, and since they're quite similar let's try it out." There are so many carseat and car combinations that there is no way you can know all of them and there is no shame to having the manual out. Since you have a question about her tethers, you'll need her car manual as well. Nothing wrong with manuals. :)

Wendy

TerisBoys

The tether anchors for capt chairs in a Dodge should be right in front of the rear bench. They DO have to be retro-fitted in one of that era (unless you're in Canada).

Search - there have been a few threads lately that give the service bulletin number for having one installed.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Linking to the updated Plymouth section of the LATCH manual for reference and possibly printing out for your friend to show a Chrysler dealership:
http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/PLYMOUTH_6_07_web.pdf
The printout has come in handy for several posters recently in their experience with dealership service departments who were otherwise a bit clueless and/or trying to charge the customer for retrofitting. Your friend's mileage may vary depending on the dealership, but the info. is good to have handy as "proof" in case it's needed.

The '95 Grand Voyager can be retrofitted with top tether anchors for the second row center and driver's side, and also in the third row center and driver's side. The part number is 05017529AB and the anchor points are on the floor behind the seats. The Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin number regarding the free retrofit policy is Technical Service Bulletin 23-008-00 Revision B.

Britax's website has online installation videos at http://www.britaxusa.com/safety/default.aspx that could be of help for familiarizing yourself and your friend with the Regent. Another excellent site with Regent installation videos is at http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.htm#regent videos

Holly

My friend is coming today to pick up the Regent, and I'm going to help install it. She told me I could go ahead and open the box and get the seat ready if I wanted to, we both didn't know that it came already one whole seat. The box looked smaller than I expected so I told her I thought it must have to be assembled, oops. So anyway, its open now and it looks sooo nice! I almost wish we could keep it! The cover is so nice and high quality, I really like it a lot!

She told me her dd is 41.5 lbs already, so I can't wait to get this in so they can stop using whatever it is they have now. I read the manual on the installation with lap/shoulder belt short belt path, and I feel like I am ready to do it! The only thing that worries me is having to use a locking clip. I've never used one before. It looks as though the regent doesnt come with one, I can't find one attached to the seat anywhere.

Also, is there a place on the seat to store the bottom latch straps since we are going to use the seatbelt? Where on the seat is the manufacture date, I can't see it anywhere. The box says Feb 2008 but I dont see anything on the seat.
Oh, since it doesnt have a locking clip but we need one, can I use one that came with my scenera or radian? We have locking seat belts so we dont need to use them, and if we ever did, we could buy more. I dont want to tell my friend that she has to go buy a locking clip first.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The DOM is on the front, under the cover, between the legs.

If her van is newer than 1996 it has locking belts. They may just lock at the buckle rather than the shoulder. To find out if they do, look at the driver's seatbelt buckle (the male end) and look at the passenger buckles. If they look different (the passenger's will be slightly bulkier) then they have lightweight locking latchplates. These are really common in American vans. If she has those you shouldn't need a locking clip. You just tighten the seatbelt down (making sure the lapbelt is snug), then unbuckle the belt, flip the buckle over 180 degrees (don't let it loosen!) and then rebuckle it. That's if it slips, or you just want to be sure. Often those seatbelts are fine to install a seat in.

If she has a pre1996 van she may very well not have belts that lock. But check out the buckle first to see if it locks there.

The LATCH straps go in the little fabric pockets that are on the sides of the back. Just tuck them in.

Wendy

Holly

its a 95 Plymouth Grand Voyager, she told me the seat belts dont lock.
Hey, would that mean she needs a locking clip with any car seat that she uses in there? I bet she doesnt have a locking clip on the seat she has been using!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They likely don't lock at the shoulder (unless you're in a collision). However, check the buckle. See if it locks there. A lot of parents don't realize that they can lock elsewhere than the shoulder (I know I didn't!). If they really don't lock, then yes, she needs a locking clip on any seat in there.

Wendy

Holly

Ok, I'll check there, thanks!
I got a locking clip off the back of my scenera just in case.
I even slipped it onto my own vehicle seat belt to see how to put it on.
I think I'll be able to do it now, thanks!

crunchierthanthou

If you want to check to see if her belts lock, sit on the seat and buckle the seatbelt over you. Pull on the lap portion. If it slides freely, you need a locking clip. If you can't pull it out, the latchplate locks (which is common in Chrysler vehicles, but I'm not sure about a 1995).

Holly

I got it installed really good! It was so easy! I loved it!
We installed it short belt path with the lap/shoulder belt.
I couldn't tell if her seatbelts lock or not, we pulled it as tight as we could and the seat didn't budge at all, but I forgot to test the seat belt for locking at the buckle before the seat was in, so I'm not sure if it really does that or not.
I gave her the locking clip and told her she might need it, and to have the seat checked by a tech, because I was pretty sure we got it in right, but I'm not a tech and it's always best to double check it, and if it does need the locking clip, a tech can show her how.

Oh, It did have a tether anchor on the floor behind the seat, so I did use that.

Her dd loves it! She was at the 2nd slots and has plenty of room to grow!
I showed her the stuff on it that other seats don't have, the hugs and the belly pad, etc, and told her about the one click buckle (Yeah, it was a Feb 2008 seat but no double click buckle). I showed her how to check to see if the straps are tight enough.

It was soo fun, now I really want to become a tech!!!

melniemi

Good job! I hope she does bring it to a tech just in case she needs that locking clip. I found sbp to be easy in my van too. I wish there was a tech class near me too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC