Question for techs - Tethers

M

madaboutewe

Britex tethers and dealing with dealers

If you read the instructions to Britax, I believe it is the infant seats that allow you to attach the tethers to just about anything bolted down on the car - the seat in front, etc. But if the FF also says this, here's the rub - read the instructions that came with your car regarding child restraint systems and it will probably tell you not to do this (unless your car is older than the LATCH system and it doesn't address tethers at all). If your Britax seat is older and your child is heavy, check it for LATCH recalls because they have had issues recently because the older straps are narrow and don't hold the seat at the correct angle in a high speed crash when the child is near the upper weight limit for the seat.

Also, You may have to go to a national representative of your vehicle in order to get the correct information regarding retrofitting tether anchor points. Our local Toyota Dealer can't order locking clips or belt shortening clips because they have no idea what they are or what they are called, but Ford has no problem. The more we force them to learn this information, the better things will be for new parents that come along after us.

ADS

Kellyr2

I'm late posting on this, but had just read something in my car manual today that gave me an idea about this.
I have a Chrysler Voyager. The manual said that while the 3rd row does have 3 sets of latches and tethers, you may NOT put 3 seats across in the 3rd row. (I'd like to see someone FIT 3 seats back there, anyway LOL). It says you may put one in the middle, or two with one on each side, but not 3 across, because that seat was not approved for use with 3 latched seats. Apparently 3 people are fine, but 3 latched in seats are not.

Could it be that this vehicle has some similar limitation?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In some vehicles, a row of seating may "share" LATCH anchors for the center and outboard positions. Since you may not attach two child restraints to the same anchor, you have a choice of using the outboard locations or the center, but not both at once.

In other vehicles, notably those from 2001 and earlier if I recall correctly, vehicle manufactuers were not required to test all seating positions with child restraint anchorages at the same time. So, the manuals may limit you to two at once for this reason also. I believe this may be why Chrysler actually removed some third row anchors for the 2002 model year. It was probably cheaper just to take them out than to retest/redesign them to meet the new standards.

Since there are always exceptions, we have to read the manuals thoroughly to know what is recommended. Hopefully, they actually tell us what we need to know;-)

skaterbabs

KeikiHula said:
Wouldn't Britax know though if they will work?.... I've never looked to see what they say to use for cargo anchors, but I'm assuming you can use the tether anchors for both.
It sucks b/c you get so much conflicting information, how do you know what is really safe or not??

No, unfortunately Britax has no way of knowing (beyond the same info we have, which would be the latest copy of the LATCH manual) which vehicles allow the cargo anchors to be used for tether anchors. That's up to the vehical manufacterer, and that information should be in your owner's manual.

KeikiHula

In my Durango, the tether anchors are the cargo anchors. The manual says this. What I meant by "wouldn't Britax know?" is that I can't imagine Britax taking the liability in saying it was ok to use them, if Chevy (or was it Ford? LOL I can't remember which vehicle we were originally talking about) hadn't already said it was ok. My Durango manual says to use them, so if I called Britax, I assume they would tell me it was ok since Dodge says it is, KWIM?

skaterbabs

Since Britax doesn't manufacter the anchors, all they can tell you is to follow the owner's manual that came with your vehicle. Since some vehicles do allow the cargo anchors to be used as tether anchors, and some do not, it's not a question for Britax (or Graco, Evenflo, Cosco, ect.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC