Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

toddler and new baby

should my SIL just get a double stroller? she's expecting and will be using the ss1 with the new baby. my nephew is VERY stubborn, so should we just strap him up in a double, with the carseat attached too? what have you guys done with your children?
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: toddler and new baby

What is ss1? Sorry, still learning!

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

SS1- SafeSeat1 (a Graco infant seat).

Does your DN still ride in a stroller?

My sister has a 24.5-month-old and a 6-day-old. The 2-year-old definitely doesn't ride in a stroller very often anymore, so they didn't buy a double. DN will occasionally still want to hitch a ride, but it is rare.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Never mind. I just saw how old your DN is. He is still REALLY young. Never mind!

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg

I used the Phil & Ted E3 stroller with my newborn and toddler and it was GREAT!! It is worth checking out! I now have the Baby Jogger City Series Double and I don't like as much, but as far as double strollers go,..this is the best.

well he'll be 24 months and 2 weeks when the new ones here, we're just figuring out carseats and strollers and beds ect. now so she knows what she has to buy-- I don't know how soon he'll grow out of his stubborness, I hear she was stubborn for years as a child! -- wait, she still is! lol. anyways, she's not due till sept. but idk how crazy he'll get in public (running off..hes bad now, but he'll be older)

is the phil and ted e3 stroller compatible with the ss1? how much does it cost?

That's exactly the age difference in my DNi and DNe!

They are EXACTLY 24 months and 2 weeks apart (to the day)!

lol well that's just her due date, and if this one would be born on dday as was DN1, they'll be 2 years, 2 weeks, and...4 days lol. thats pretty interesting though!

Carseat Crazy

My little girls are 2 years 3 wks apart. We frequently use a double stroller. DD is very good about staying with me (and was at 2). She just likes to be in a stroller sometimes. If it's just a quick trip I will take a single stroller and sling the baby if my toddler wants to ride. With a "runner" kid, I'd definitely get a double. It will be very normal for him to regress and act up when the new baby arrives. I'm thinking that in the middle of a melt down she could buckle him in and not worry about him getting away or hurting himself.

I'd recommend staying away from the sit & stand types. They aren't that much smaller than a regular double. I thought it would be the perfect everyday stroller for us...but in real world usage it was a waste. My DD always wants to sit and there is so little room. Once the baby is out of the bucket-the front seat isn't very comfortable for either kid.

CPS Fanatic

it's hard to say, but i would go with a double. even if a toddler is stubborn now and doesn't need to ride in a stroller, that dynamic can change in a major way once a little sibling enters the picture! our toddler was loving her independence from a stroller, but once she saw her little sister (20 months apart) being in the stroller, *she* suddenly "needed" to be in the stroller.

sibling dynamics change things a lot.

plus, once the sibling comes along, the strolls may become longer because of frequent stops for nursing, diaper changing, etc. the toddler may tire more readily and want to rest in the stroller.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would definately be getting a double... e3 would be perfect... that was our fav double for sure and used it up until a few weeks ago. DS1 still fit in it but DS2 was too heavy for the back seat so we had to give it up

Mine are 23 mo apart. Dd is now 31.5 months and still uses the stroller most of the time. I'd say it's a must!

Carseat Crazy

I'd always reccoment the P&T sport (e3) for a closely spaced siblings. It's an awesome double, especially since it can also be a single if you only have one child with you or one doesn't want to ride that day. I'm not sure what car seats it takes since I don't typically use car seats in my stroller. But not too many strollers do take the ss1, since it's so large.

Nathan - FF-ing in a Frontier
    Logan - RF-ing in a Boulevard
    Megan - RF-ing in a Boulevard

There are only 20 months between my boys and I would have been LOST without our double stroller. We do tend to use a stroller longer than average though.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by kimogilvie View Post
    But not too many strollers do take the ss1, since it's so large.
    When I was looking at strollers, I found that every stroller I saw that took the Snugride also took the SS1.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

thanks for all your comments and input! I'll take a look at the e3 and find out if it'll take the ss1.

so I took a look, they look cool, but it says to not use a travel system in tandem with it... it'd be pretty nice if we could just move the cs from the base and lock it onto a stroller..

hm. I was reading the FAQs and it says that you can use your cs with it, most brands. which are britax, evenflo and graco .. so does this mean the ss1?! I'd assume because as someone else said, most strollers compatible with the snugride are compatible with the safeseat as well..

------
    edit.

thats only with the travel system stroller

----
    edit. again.

they have some adapter thing. could I just attach that to a normal double stroller?