nautilus crash tests

Mae

i was looking online at babydepot and i was reading all the specs about it... here's the link

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...unt=&pn=1&Product_Id=479766&SearchedProduct=t

here's what it says...

"Includes EPS, Energy Absorbing Foam.
Engineered and Crash tested to meet or exceed:
U.S. Compliance Standard FMVSS 213.
New Car Assessment Protocol (NCAP) -- peak crash force approximately 2x Car Seat standard. "

does that mean that in a crash, it will perform better than most carseats?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think NCAP is the European version of FMVSS (vehicle safety standards). I don't know how it applies to car seats, or if their standards are "better" than ours.

southpawboston

NCAP is a generic acronym used by different nations to describe their own automotive safety testing programs. europe has euroNCAP, japan has jNCAP, and the US has NCAP, which is part of NHTSA. this is a FAQ about the US's version of NCAP:

http://www.safercar.gov/Info.htm

from the FAQ:

NCAP stands for New Car Assessment Program. If you’ve heard of "government 5-star ratings," then you know NCAP. NCAP is part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

NCAP provides consumers with vehicle safety information, primarily front and side crash rating results, and more recently rollover ratings, to aid consumers in their vehicle purchase decisions. The rating results are relayed to consumers via an easily recognizable star rating system – from 1 to 5 stars, with 5 being the highest.

when a carseat ad states that a seat performs "2x better" than a "standard", i can only guess what they mean. i take it to mean that the head or chest loads measured for the dummy in the standard crash test were 1/2 the allowable limit. that's just my guess. :twocents: i also wouldn't be to surprised if a lot of carseats can make that claim.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
NCAP provides consumers with vehicle safety information, primarily front and side crash rating results, and more recently rollover ratings, to aid consumers in their vehicle purchase decisions. The rating results are relayed to consumers via an easily recognizable star rating system – from 1 to 5 stars, with 5 being the highest.

So.... how does this apply to the above statement about the Nautilus? Does NCAP have testing standards for carseats?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
NCAP tests cars at 35mph while I believe FMVSS 213 crash pulse is 30mph.

So in short, testing the seat to NCAP standards means that it's meeting FMVSS 213 standards despite going through a stronger crash force than required by NHTSA. This is the basis for them being able to say it exceeds standards. :thumbsup:

eta: This post here has an attachment for how the radian did with FMVSS and NCAP crash testing and has a brief explanation of the differences between the 2. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37544

Last edited:

southpawboston

eta: This post here has an attachment for how the radian did with FMVSS and NCAP crash testing and has a brief explanation of the differences between the 2. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37544

thanks for that! the pdf file didn't allow text copying, i was going to quote the relevant passage. essentially, the NCAP test speed of 35 mph results in a net doubling of the G-forces experienced by the test dummy, from 23xg for the standard 30mph test to 46xg for the 35 mph NCAP test. so i guess that's where they're getting that "2x federal standard" bit on the nautilus description. but did graco truly test the nauti to NCAP standards?

vamom

Hasn't graco been putting that claim on all their safeseat line (1,2,3) for awhile now? I know I have seen it on the turbos, safeseat2 and maybe the safeseat1 or the snugride.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I talked to a rep about this once at an expo. They say that they crash test "at the higher European standards".

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I talked to a rep about this once at an expo. They say that they crash test "at the higher European standards".

And higher European standards would be NCAP from my understanding... interesting and good to know. Make me love the SS1 all the more even though it's no longer in use. Oh how I'm itching for the nautilus to show up in Canada. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC