Car safety

U

Unregistered

What are the most important safety mechanisms in a new car besides the obvious?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Obvious = seatbelts, maybe? ;)

Side curtain airbags, front side torso airbags, and stability control are important safety items in my book. Good crash test performance in both NHTSA and IIHS tests are also desirable safety features. :thumbsup:

southpawboston

to me, those are all the obvious ;).

to me, active headrests are an example of a non-obvious safety feature. these automatically move up and forward in an impact to help reduce head and neck injury upon head rebound.

another non-obvious feature is collapsible foot pedals. these collapse and move forward upon intrusion into the cabin of the car to reduce possible foot and leg injuries.

a non-obvious safety "feature" (less of a feature and more of a quality) to me is the ability to stop in a short distance. neither NHTSA nor IIHS test for this but cars can vary drastically in how long, in feet, it takes to bring the car from 60 to 0 mph. that can be the difference between an impact and a "close call".

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
And don't forget the tires... proper type and proper inflation, etc. :)

:yeahthat:

A new set of quality all-seasons can make a huge difference from OEMs with half their tread life remaining, especially in wet or snowy conditions.

southpawboston

thanks for reminding me about tires...

in fact a really good safety feature for snowy climates is dedicated snow tires...

however, tires are something that cars use universally. i thought the OP was referring to features that can only be found on certain cars but not others? (in other words, what to look for in a car).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC