Reccomendations for a car that's really good on gas?

Lara

My mom just interviewed for a new job, and its almost guarenteed she will get it. The only thing is that the commute will be about 85miles round trip for her daily, so she needs something really good on gas!

She was talking about getting a Smart Car or something, but I don't like that cause then she couldn't transport my dd! So, anything else that is really good on gas that I could reccomend to her? She drives a nissan sentra right now (03 I think)

Thanks!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I want to look at the fortwo. It has great crash ratings and gas mileage.

I saw one IRL a few months ago. It's really cool! I didn't get to meet the owner or else I'd have bombarded him/her with questions, but just looking at it from the outside and peeking in the windows, I was impressed!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I swear, everytime you talk, I like you more! I want to go play in Portland one day, to go look at it and play with car seats.

niccig

Toyota Prius. DH has one, used to be mine when I commuted 40 miles roundtrip. I've gotten a Blvd and Como both rearfacing and Forward facing. When the carseat was rearfacing, the passenger could have the seat all the way back - back seat is surprisingly roomy.

We're in LA, and DH paid $10 for a permit that lets certain hybrid cars go in the car pool lane. They don't offer it here anymore. But check into it, as your state may have something similar. It can cut 20mins off DH's commute.

southpawboston

if your mom doesn't want to pay a premium price for a hybrid, she could go for a MINI... 40mpg with a regular gas engine + incredibly fun to drive, unlike a hybrid prius or civic.

you can fit carseats pretty well in the back.

Lara

I want to look at the fortwo. It has great crash ratings and gas mileage.

Never heard of it! I'll go google it. ETA: okay, that is the car I was talking about in my op. They are SO cute! I'm just worried about her being able to transport dd. Though, I guess if she is working it wouldn't as much of a big deal. She takes her all the time now cause she isn't working and has the time! Anyways, just thinking out loud here.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

sbaker

I had heard the mini gets 40 mpg in the past, but I checked it with www.fueleconomy.gov and am not seeing that.

I have a MINI with an automatic transmission and I regularly get 35 mpg in it. My MINI club friends with manual transmissions get 40+. The models prior to 2007 got less mileage. I've had several cars over the years and my MINI is by far the most fun to drive.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Never heard of it! I'll go google it. ETA: okay, that is the car I was talking about in my op. They are SO cute! I'm just worried about her being able to transport dd. Though, I guess if she is working it wouldn't as much of a big deal. She takes her all the time now cause she isn't working and has the time! Anyways, just thinking out loud here.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I haven't checked yet. I want to see if the air bag can be turned off. I gotta see if I can go see one soon!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC