suggestions please

daycaremom2002

I have convinced the mom of my 32 pound 2.5 you daycare child to keep her in a harness. She is planning on buying 2 Nautiluses this weekend. They both have new vehicles. A Nissan Titan (08)4door, and a Nissan Xterra (08).

Now that I know the little one is taken care of, I am trying to talk her into buying new hbb for her 45 pound almost 6yo. She has been in a lbb for about 3 years:(. I know it is going to be hard to convince her to spend any more money after getting the little one new seats, but I am going to try.

Which hbb would you recommend that will cost very little? She has 2 lbb that she can use, so I will have to work hard at this one. I know the turbos are around $50 but that might even be too much.

Actually, I am not even sure it is important at the point for her to be in a hbb. I have no idea if either of these vehicles have side airbags. What do you all think?

ETA: What about the Cosco Traveler?

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If kiddo is in a vehicle with good head support and doesn't sleep in the vehicle, I'd probably just leave things be for the time being unless you come across a really great deal - then encourage her to get one for their main vehicle and just keep the low back for their other vehicle.

Low backs obviously don't provide extra side impact protection, but the primary purpose of the booster is to position the seatbelt properly. As long as that's happening with the lbb and there's appropriate head support, I don't think I'd push the issue.

My viewpoint is just that a backless booster for a 6yr old isn't a risk the same way as a 3yr old in a booster is. Fighting to keep a 3yr old harnessed is absolutely important, but the 6yr old sounds safe the way things are now unless there's a headrest support thing. Maybe give the parents a few months to get past the bombardment of info to buy 2 new seats for the younger one, and then raise a great sale that you found one day.

But anyways, the main point of my post is that as long as there's enough head support and the belt is positioned properly on the child, a backless booster isn't unsafe, it just likely isn't as safe as a hbb - the line is a bit gray in this case, but it's black and white when it comes to a tiny kid in a booster IYKWIM?

Good job for talking them into getting two nautilus's. It's always nice when parents listen to us. :thumbsup:

daycaremom2002

Thanks for the information. I haven't seen the new vehicles yet, so I will have to look at the headrest situation. They are brand spanking new, so I am assuming they have head support. I will probably back off for a while, unless the older one asks for a new seat since her sister gets new ones. :whistle: I may be able to get her to buy the older one a hbb turbo at least.

Thanks again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC