Infant and a Marathon

JerseyGirl'sMama

I am curious...

How can an infant fit into a Marathon? I recently met a friend at Target. Her DS is 7 months old, and is outgrowing his bucket and she wanted to test out the Marathon before buying online. He is a pretty good sized baby. 27" long and 20 lbs. The harness straps were at the lowest slots and he fit very well. It just got me to wondering how on earth a little baby could fit? Wouldn't the straps be above the shoulders?

ADS

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
the fit is not great, the straps are above the sholders and it just does not look good at all. but people do it and its said to be safe, i had to use my boulivard with my tiny 3 month old and i hated the way she fit and it was with the infant padding and all, the straps did not fit on her sholders at all they were just not up to my standerds!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
With an infant the straps are typically above the shoulders when using a big convertible like the Marathon. The whole reason behind them being below the shoulder while rearfacing is to prevent "ramping up" in the seat. When in an infant seat ramping up could force the baby above and out of the shell of the carseat risking hitting their head on something. When in a Marathon this is not as dangerous because there is so much shell above their heads that they wouldn't be flying up and out of the seat as their head would be contained within the seat itself.

Nisha

It's usually not a good fit. We had to use DS's marathon for him when he was about 2 months old, due to an accident, and I didn't like the way he fit at all. We started using it full time when he was about 7 months old (I couldn't carry him in his snugride anymore!) and he fit MUCH better. But even at a year old now, he's still "at" the bottom slots!

Nisha

If it helps any, here is my son at 2 months, in his MA

IMG_5895-1.jpg

IMG_5899-1.jpg

IMG_5900-1.jpg

amy919

I'm not wild about the MA for an infant. When Teagan screamed constantly in the bucket, I tried one and just wasn't comfortable with it. She was swallowed by that seat! But, it did give me an excuse to buy my beloved RA. She moved to that full time around 2 months and fit well.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ilana fit not too bad at about 9# and 22 or 23". That was when her shoulders were finally just an inch UNDER the bottom slots. For her that was 3 mos old though. :) She fit better in the BV than the RA we still had since the BV has the padding and slightly lower slots. We tried Ilana in a MA at 10 mos in Target and she was still just even w/ the bottom slots!

JOII

Very few newborns fit in the MA. I honestly thought that no newborn would, but then I had mine :)

In these pics she is 2 weeks, almost 11# and 23.5". The slots are only about .5" above her shoulders. I would be comfortable using it if I had to, but still more comfotable with the SS1, hands down.

IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

Niea

For a newborn or young infant, yeah not a fit.

But at 7 mos I'd definitely think the Marathon would fit just fine! My DD was born at a petite 6lbs. . we moved her into the Dec/Blvd at 7 mos and she fit great!

RubysGirl

I know somebody said ramping up wouldn't be an issue since there's so much shell, but wouldn't it put added stress on the baby's femurs?

I remember reading on that one page about a rf baby breaking his legs because the straps were loose because of aftermarket parts, and the portion over his thighes was relied on heavily in the accident, resulting in the broken legs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC