straps loosening on infant carseat

ProudMomof5

I got thinking... something in someone's post triggered the memory, can't remember what though... about our infant car seat, which is a graco snugride, one that we got at target for like $60-70 or something - so not a super nice carseat, but safe as far as I know.

Anyways, I remember the shoulder straps constantly getting loose on my daughter. I'd tighten them and after not very long they would be loose again. Not that it was a huge pain to tighten regularly, but I still kind of feel uneasy about it.
I thought it was normal until I tightened my sister's baby in her snugride (it was an older model) and felt the resistance on the buckles in the back, basically it didn't slip through quite so easily. Then it stayed tight after that.

Anyway, our baby isn't due until July, but if this is something I need to worry about, then I'd rather get it fixed or do something now, rather then later. Or maybe its fine, as long as I check it every single time.
What do you think?

ADS

sfeitler

You mean the harness straps loosened? That is not normal. You should check the seat over, see if they still loosen on their own. If so, you need to call Graco and see if you've got the harness routed wrong, or something like that.

I would not use the seat at all until you're sure the harness straps will stay tight.

-Sarah

ProudMomof5

yeah its the harness straps. They didn't loosen like immediately, but way faster then I thought they should.
I am pretty sure I have the harness routed correctly, maybe I'll take some pics of how it looks right now (its still in the last position it was in when my daughter was in it).
I am not sure how I'd check to see if it still loosens, considering I don't have a little baby to put in there.
If anything I would say its something wrong with the adjusters in the back.
hang on I'll take a pic.. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, can't wait to see pics...that's definitely not ok... straps shouldn't just loosen (*could* be they are routed wrong through the adjusters on the back, that's really easy to do).

ProudMomof5

Okay, this is the front
Febpictures052.jpg

this is the adjusters
Febpictures053.jpg

This is the middle metal thing that is supposed to keep it tight, I think that is what the problem is. It'll stay in place briefly, but not for long enough.
Febpictures054.jpg

I did tighten it, with out a baby in there obviously and pulled on the harness and it didn't come loose.. not even a little... so it was something that just happened over time. Not sure what it was.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Call Graco and complain? In theory it's the same as a lightweight locking latchplate...that little bar should be moving down to hold the straps in place, and it's not staying tight enough... I'm not sure of the answer... besides loud, persistent complaining :eek:

melniemi

Did the straps actually loosen, or did baby just 'settle' in the seat, making the straps looser? I know when I buckled baby into her infant seat, straps tight, sometimes when we'd get home, the straps seemed too loose. So I would buckle her in, get ready to go, plop the infant seat in the base and give another tug on the harness adjuster. This gave her a couple of minutes to settle in and I could get the extra slack out.

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
We have found that the best way to get those straps tight is to pull them snug from the back at the slot....and then pull the "tail" until it is snug and flat....it may be that you have pulled it snug from the front, but the sraps are not flat against the back of the seat..
I hope what I am saying makes some sense...
Pull back on the straps and see if they loosen; if they do please let Graco know ASAP...

ProudMomof5

Did the straps actually loosen, or did baby just 'settle' in the seat, making the straps looser?
Well, its been awhile since she was in this seat.. she is 16mos now.... but from what i remember I don't think it was settling.... she'd be fine the first few times in the seat, and then after a bit I'd notice when I'd put her in it it'd be quite a bit looser. So, then I'd tighten it again, and it would be fine for a few times - basically I think it was just loosening really slow and I wouldn't notice the difference until it was bad.

We have found that the best way to get those straps tight is to pull them snug from the back at the slot....and then pull the "tail" until it is snug and flat....it may be that you have pulled it snug from the front, but the straps are not flat against the back of the seat..
I hope what I am saying makes some sense...
Pull back on the straps and see if they loosen; if they do please let Graco know ASAP...

I think I know what you are saying... so pull the tail, and it shouldn't move? when I do that, one moves, the other doesn't. So, maybe its just one tightening thing that is not working. IDK!
So, if I call them what will they do? And does it matter that I have already had it for 1 1/2 years and haven't said anything until now? I mean it still has awhile before it expires. DOM is Aug 06.

Its hard for me to test it out without putting a baby in there to see if it still loosens.. but my guess is it does because the one side slips in the back when i pull the tail of the strap.

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
Possibly one of the slides with the teeth that hold the strap locked in place is bent or defective if it slips....I would let Graco know any way to see if there are any options for you...
If I could not get the harness to stay snug on the baby I would not use it till I had an answer

mindiv

I'd definitely call Graco....I had a different problem with my SS1 harness system and they put a brand new harness system in the mail at no charge despite the seat being about a year old. It really was a no questions asked deal and I communicated via their email address. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC