Car seat cover discussion...do you coordinate?

Tara

For those with 2 or more seats in the vehicle(s), do your car seat covers match/coordinate? Or do you have a wild smattering of everything available. Do you choose? Or does the child have some say in the matter?

Also:
What are your fave fabrics? (make and model in which it's available might be helpful too ;) )
Which do you find to be the most durable?

I'm still drooling over all the choices for a Marathon for my dd. I like the look of Ashley Floral, then I noticed Luau, that's nice looking too. I'm kinda going for the 'girly look' after having 3 boys ya know LOL
We've only had the plush fabrics (Jefferson Tan, Fido and whatever the SE one is, plushy but textured). I LOVE the feel of those and they seem to be holding up quite well. We don't live anywhere extremely warm so the 'plushy' hasn't caused any problems there. They seem to sweat when asleep just as they would in any other environment ;)
So, I'm just a bit concerned about the others..like Ashley and Luau type.
What's your take comparing the 2 textures, as far as comfy factor and durability?

Considering the New Blues as well...being 100% cotton .. can't very well go wrong there can we? Plus, neutral tones. But..I really don't DESIRE to go neutral...I WANT girly LMHO

ADS

scatterbunny

Ack! My second message of the day, eaten by the computer. :(

I have in the van most of the time:

Karo Gray Airway (black and black/gray squares)
Marina Husky (plush dark blue)
Fisher Price Safe Embrace booster, dark blue terry cloth

I was stuck with the Airway and Husky when I got them--stores didn't have any other covers. The FPSE booster was given to us by my aunt and uncle.

My van's interior is tan, so none of them match. I wish they did.

We're replacing the booster this December (it expires then) with a Parkway, and I'll probably let Hayley choose the cover. I'm hoping she goes for Woodstock. :)

I prefer the plush covers, and I think Hayley does, too. She complains the least in the car when she's in the Husky, but that's probably for a variety of reasons.

If I had a new baby girl, I'd have a hard time choosing between an Ashley Floral MA and the comparatively drab Boulevard, LOL.

Tara

side note here.... I'm not familiar with this "Airway" I've seen the name a few times now, but that's it. Would you happen to have a link for me? I enjoy browsing seats hehe

scatterbunny

Tara said:
side note here.... I'm not familiar with this "Airway" I've seen the name a few times now, but that's it. Would you happen to have a link for me? I enjoy browsing seats hehe

AirwayandHusky4.jpg

Also, if you click on the link in my signature and go to the extended harnessing album, you'll see Hayley in her Airway and Husky. :)

Tara

scatterbunny said:
I guess the Airway looks mostly navy blue, not black? Maybe I need to have my eyes checked, LOL.

LOL Yep, looks pretty doggone navy blue to me ;)
Where do you get the seat? Link for that??

*being lazy today, would normally just go "google" things hehe*

Tara

I suppose I could answer my own question eh?

We have a FPSE, blue, as is standard, didn't have a choice.
Britax RA - tan (I said Jefferson Tan before, but I don't think that's it, isn't that corduroy? mine's just plush) I don't recall having many options at the store where we purchase our Britax. As far as 'in stock'..we don't do well with delayed gratification, so, take what they have ;)
Britax SE - same story, actually, I don't know that there WERE any other options at that time, it's plush, blue, textured
Britax MA - limited choices, same story as the others, I believe it's called Fido (plush blue w/dog bones and paw prints)

All in a tan interiored vehicled. They were all in a gray interior.

As you can see, we basically just 'get what they got'. But I plan to be choosey with this next one LOL
I don't care if they match or coordinate. I like fun prints, I'm sure the kids do too. I let them choose if/when we have a choice

uccomama

Senior Community Member
I have never had two matching seats until now. I have the Recaro Young Sport and the Recaro Young Style in Bright Sand and I love it. The covers also match the tan leather interior of my car. Before that I had a very boring Classic Britax Boulevard clashing with a blue/black Recaro Start.

The hopeless car seat addict that I am, I have been fantasizing about getting a Bright Sand Recaro Start to use instead of the Young Style, DD really needs the footrest accessory for the Recaro Start, and ditching the Classic Boulevard for a Brownstone and our Bubbly Fun Parkway for Brownstone one too. It's not that I particularly like the Brownstone cover, I just want all matching seats!

Deborah

http://members.tripod.com/uccomama-ivil/index.html

KeikiHula

For Cody, we have a FPSE with the navy and checks. I love the seat, but I think all the FPSE covers were kinda ugly. I've thought about making a new cover for it, but it's so close to expiration I don't think I'll ever get around to it. ;-)
Morgan sits in either a Midnight Wizard that I searched all over for and found on www.babyuniverse.com (on sale too :)) and a BG that I think is Racer or something like that. It's black and silver. I also searched all over for that one b/c I didn't want the tan one or the Fiesta. The interior of my Durango is dk charcoal gray.
I REALLY am lusting after the Cougar print on the new PW's and the Regent and I think one of those will be our next seat for Morgan, then I will pass the Wizard down to Cody. I also really like the Woodstock on the PW...sigh...too many choices....
Thanks for the pic of the Airway. I don't think I've ever seen one. I thought about getting one instead of the Wizard when Morgan outgrew his convertable, but I'm glad I couldn't find one. ;-)

scatterbunny

We got the Airway in Dec. 2003 at Burlington Coat Factory when Hayley was 2.5 years old. She was 38 inches tall and had outgrown her Alpha Omega by height. We couldn't afford the Husky yet, but she needed a seat right then...I didn't want to go with a CarGo, even though she would have had plenty of height growth, because I knew she'd hit 40 pounds before 4 years old. The Airway's top slots are about the same as the CarGo's top slots, and since it has a 50 pound weight limit it was the most economical choice for us at the time.

Hayley turned 4 in June, is 44.5 inches tall and 45 pounds now and is about an inch below the top slots on the Airway.

Currently I think there's only one online retailer that carries the Airway. AFAIK, no brick-and-mortar stores carry it anymore.

http://store.yahoo.com/marisa-kristines/naniaairway.html

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
We have

1 Graco Turbo booster in Flower Power/Daisy in dh truck
2 Britax Roundabouts in Window Pane (1 in dh truck & 1 in the closet as a back up seat for my youngest)
2 Graco CarGo Platinums in Cavair
2 Britax Marathon's in my Tahoe (1 in Cowmooflage & 1 in Racer).

KeikiHula

So what about the Airway makes it so un user friendly? I just love our Wizard so much I can't imagine having any other seats. I will never buy anything other than a Britax anymore.
Oh and I'm with you Tara. Why go with a neutal fabric when there are so many bright and interesting ones to choose from? It's one of the many things that draws me to Britax. Most other carseats are navy blue. I remember the first time I saw a Cowmooflage Roundabout. It was at that moment I fell in love with Britax....lol

Tara

Cowmoo had that same effect on me Holly LOL *sigh* What IS it about cover? It has some...some kind of attraction doesn't it? (well, granted, not for ALL, but anywho ;) ) My dh doesn't care for it at all though. That also seems to be common hmmmmm Wonder why that is ??

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Heh. I wanted cow for my ds, who is 3.5 but he was all over the Ashley Floral. LOL

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I used to coordinate whenever possible (had matching denim Roundabout & Freeway for a long time). Now, I try to get covers that my kids really like whenever possible. In our main car right now, we have a Denim Roundabout, a Floofy Marathon and a Parkway in whatever pattern BRU had (Onyx?) which isn't anyone's favorite and doesn't match anything. If I can afford it when the covers become available, I'll probably replace the Parkway cover with something my son likes better, probably Sapphire or Woodstock.

scatterbunny

The Airway has been difficult to install in every vehicle I've tried it in, except my old '93 Accord. It seems like no matter what, the buckle ends up on a spot on the carseat that makes it loosen over time. Twisting the buckle stalk has helped, but it's still never as rock-solid as other seats.

The harness material is thinner than Britax and gets twisted in the crotch buckle tongues (hope that makes sense) fairly easily.

The harness adjuster is not very easy, or smooth. I really have to yank hard to get it to tighten (and I've made sure nothing is hanging up in the back of the seat), and sometimes one side tightens more than the other side. Then I have to loosen it up and start over.

It's one of those seats that's recommended because it's the only "budget" option for harnessing over 40 pounds. If it's used properly, it's perfectly fine, but it's a bear to use properly.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I wish we were coordinated, LOL - I would love to have everything in Cowmooflauge or that pink Cougar :p But here's what we've got (keep in mind that these are used in various vehicles for various kids!)
  • Tan & black Boulevard
  • Windowpane Wizard
  • Blue Husky
  • Bubbles Parkway
  • Fiesta Bodyguard
  • Grey & Black CarGo
  • Disney Princess Turbo
  • Cowmooflauge StarRiserComfy
  • Blue & tan plaid ToteNgo
  • LapTop & EZOn RideRyte in only designs available
I don't even want to know how much I've spent on carseats since my kid was born - this list doesn't include the 3 or 4+ boosters I bought for friends & neighbors for their kids or the infant seat or convertible or combination seats we tried before we found Britax :eek: :rolleyes:

KeikiHula

Jenny-That sounds like the problems I had with my first Evenflo convertable. I don't remember which one it was, it was a cheapy one that I got through a carseat clinic. I don't think they even sold them in stores. I ended up taking it to the dump b/c it was such a horrible seat and I didn't want anyone else to install it wrong and it not be safe. The straps twisted and would get all mangled up in the buckles and I could never get it installed solidly. It was shapped very strangly. No wonder they never sold them in retail stores!

There is something about that Cowmooflage!lol I just wish Britax had the same cover options for the Husky (although the Regent has some nice fabrics) and the Wizard and BG. All the really cool fabrics are made for the Marathon and Roundabout and PW. I don't really like any of the fabrics on the Blvd or Decathalon either. When I bought our Wizard, I didn't want the New Blues or Funky Denim, and the only other choice was Midnight which was hard to find. I like the colors in Midnight, but it's a strange fabric. I wish it was plush like some of the Marathon and Roundabout covers. Although it is very easy to clean b/c it's so smooth.
My previous car was a Jeep Cherokee with tan interior and it always bugged me. You would think navy blue would go with tan, but I thought it clashed. Our carseats look much better with the charcoal interior in my Durango...LOL The Cougar Regent will look great.... :p

scatterbunny

I also love Cowmooflage. I'd love a Cow Husky cover--we live in a dairy community, and I know it would be a hit.

Britax does need to make the same cover patterns on more of their seats. What about families who have a Husky and a Marathon, and want them to match?

About the Airway--I keep wanting to sell it, but then I'm afraid that whoever I sell it to won't use it properly. As long as the child is over about 3.5, I'd almost rather see them in a properly used booster seat than in an improperly used Airway. I just don't trust some parents to take the time to use it right. :(

KeikiHula

That's how I felt about the Evenflo I threw away. I *know* how to install a seat correctly and I could never get it right. Seeing how all my friend's install their seats, it scared me to death thinking someone else might have this seat.

A Cowmooflage Husky would be hillarious. That's a lot of cow print...lol I wish the Luau print (or is it Aloha) came in blue. It's a little too girly.
While we're on wishes, I wish Britax seats were more affordable. The "cheap" seats (Graco, Cosco, Evenflo ect) are way less user friendly than Britax seats. Maybe though instead of making Britax cheaper, the other manufacturers should just make thier seats more user friendly. I think all seats should have built in lockoffs. That was the first thing that drew me to Britax. I am so bummed that Fisher Price isn't making seats anymore. I got our FPSE at Walmart for $40. You can't beat that!lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC