Okay, so I am uber confused..

Laurenc0101

I tried to call the people at the HipMonkey to confirm whether or not they had the MA with the 35 pound rf limit and I didn't get an answer. So, I called Britax. The representative that I spoke with said that MA have always had a 35 pound rf limit, that they just lowered it to 33 pounds so that parents would have a little wiggle room incase they didn't weigh the child often. She said that the only change to the new MAs are a new sticker that states a 35 pound rf limit and that the change is retroactive to the old seats.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this? I am so confused!

ADS

PixieEMT

No I can't confirm that but I want to know.........which is it 33lbs or 35lbs!

Thanks, I'm confused now too! lol

What was the name of the rep you talked to? Do you remember?

Sara

Laurenc0101

What was the name of the rep you talked to? Do you remember?

I did take note of her name, but I don't want to mention it here. ;)

She did mention an email that they received on the 20th of February noting that the new 35 rf limit, but didn't have a date when the new stickers would be placed on the production line.

melniemi

I talked to someone at hipmonkey this morning and she said their marathons do have the 35# rf limit, but she didn't know if it was stickered that way - hadn't taken them out of the box. She did say that she can email me confirmation in writing from Britax stating that all seats manufactured in 08 have a 35# rf limit.

I talked to Helen at Britax a while ago and she said the same thing you were told - that the seats always had a 35# rf limit but weren't stickered that way - for wiggle room or whatever. I posted a thread about that and Sarah Tilton's (from Britax) response. I'll try to find the threads.

PixieEMT

" I did take note of her name, but I don't want to mention it here. ;)"

Understood

I should have taken the name of the rep back in October that told me that fraying harnesses are normal on all britax seats! :thumbsdown: I had called about my FPSVD harness fraying. I called back the next day and got a completely different story from a different rep! A rep named Debroah told me that is absolutely not normal! :thumbsup:The replaced my SVD with a MA, since they didn't have any replacement parts.

PixieEMT

I know that totally stinks! I'll have to play the carseat shuffle with the Scenera and MA. DS has about 5-6lbs to go before he reaches the 33lbs limit. (And has plenty of hard shell too 3-4inches) Hopefully, we can at least get him to 2 y/o RF! :cool:

My only hope of new MA w/ the 35lb limit is if something happens to the current one. :whistle:

Laurenc0101

No, the change is NOT retroactive, Britax has clearly stated that several times.
I totally believe you!

However, why is CS allowed to tell customers that it is retroactive if it isn't?? (retorical question because I know you (specifically) don't have the answer). This just totally confuses people like me who are trying to decide whether to purchase a second MA now or wait for a stickered 35 pound limit.

skaterbabs

That's a very good question. This isn't the first time Bitax CS has given far-out answers to questions that were later confirmed to be incorrect.

steph

I talked to someone at hipmonkey this morning and she said their marathons do have the 35# rf limit, but she didn't know if it was stickered that way - hadn't taken them out of the box. She did say that she can email me confirmation in writing from Britax stating that all seats manufactured in 08 have a 35# rf limit.

I talked to Helen at Britax a while ago and she said the same thing you were told - that the seats always had a 35# rf limit but weren't stickered that way - for wiggle room or whatever. I posted a thread about that and Sarah Tilton's (from Britax) response. I'll try to find the threads.

So you got a hold of someone at hip monkey? I've been trying to call. I guess I should order from them if they have the 35 rf limit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Lauren, that IS a very confusing answer they gave you... I can't even fathom the legal repurcussions of a rep saying 'they always have been 35...' when they have always been LABELED 33!!! (it may be true, but that doesn't seem to be what you were asking...you wanted to know if the seats currently for sale are 35, and that should have been the answer you got!)

Seems to me someone answering their phones possibly needs more training from the legal department :whistle:

steph

I just spoke to Hipmonkey and she said that all their seats are brand new from Britax, right off the truck (so no back stock) and that they do go to 35 pounds rf (even if the literature says otherwise).

She said she stands by it and so does Britax (Britax told her that all seats manufactured in 2008 go to 35 pounds rf it's just that Britax hasn't caught up with their literature).

I went ahead and ordered a cowmooflauge for Ryan ($30 more but I'm assured the 35 pound rf limit).

Hope that helps someone.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'd want more than the assurance of a CSR about the new limit if I were currently in the market for a Britax seat for the purpose of RF to 35 lbs. What about the weight limits on the labels of the actual seats in HipMonkey's (or other retailer's) inventory? If they can't/won't open and peak inside a box, the weight limit should also be stated right on the box. I wanna see up to 35 lbs. RF on the seat label and in the manual, and not rely on a CSR's word for it.

Qarin

Reminds me a little of when Britax retroactively made the Roundabout a 33lb rearfacing limit from the labeled 30lb (we have a 2002 Roundabout with the 30lb limit), and then, a year or so after (while I wasn't paying attention!), perhaps with a corporate management change, they unretroactivised it, saying to always go by the sticker on the seat and the manual that came with it.

I'd be willing to bet that there's no way the current management is willing to say anything retroactive.

Laurenc0101

What about the weight limits on the labels of the actual seats in HipMonkey's (or other retailer's) inventory? If they can't/won't open and peak inside a box, the weight limit should also be stated right on the box. I wanna see up to 35 lbs. RF on the seat label and in the manual, and not rely on a CSR's word for it.
Great point!! I know the limits were stated on the outside portion of my other MA boxes. I wonder if any retailer can confirm a rf limit that way. If the seat is not going to be retroactively okay'd, I want a seat with the limit stated on it. But I guess that also means I will be waiting for a bit longer :(

Amaris

My marathon came straight from britax with a dom of 02-06-08 and everything on it said 33lbs, and I went over everything twice hoping to see 35lbs somewhere!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'd want more than the assurance of a CSR about the new limit if I were currently in the market for a Britax seat for the purpose of RF to 35 lbs. What about the weight limits on the labels of the actual seats in HipMonkey's (or other retailer's) inventory? If they can't/won't open and peak inside a box, the weight limit should also be stated right on the box. I wanna see up to 35 lbs. RF on the seat label and in the manual, and not rely on a CSR's word for it.

:yeahthat:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC