HBB or 5-point in MIL's car?

zactayaus

I need to get a seat for MIL's car. She will only be taking my DS in the car once a week and only needs to go about 5 minutes down the road. Would a highback booster be ok or should I get a 5-point harness. She will need to take the seat out quite often because she does drive some of her friends around on a regular bases. My DS is 4yrs 10mon 36lbs 40" and has a 15 inch torso. If I do get a 5-Point I was thinking about the FPSV (they are on clearence now for $129) but I don't know how tall the top slots are. How much room would he have left to grow in that seat?

ADS

MomToEliEm

I am assuming your son is in the graco caro in your car. The cargo has a 17" top harness position and the FSPV also has a 17" top harness position. That should give you an idea of how long both seats will last.

At your son's weight and age, he really would be much safer in the 5 point harness. The parent is the best judge of maturity though. If you feel that he can safely stay in a booster seat for the entire trip and you feel your MIL will make sure he stays in position, then a booster may be fine.

If it were me, I would probably get another harnessed seat. Something like the Graco Nautilus (65 pound limit, 18.5" top harness position) might be a good choice. It sounds like it is easily to install (unlike something like the radian) and will last a while harnessed due to it's harness height. Plus, it converts to a pretty good booster when the time is right. The cosco apex (17.5" top harness position, 65 pound limit) might also be good, provided she has head support in the vehicle where the seat is installed.

DiaSmall

edited post. I just realized he was not 40lbs yet!

Yeah, for 25 bucks more than the FPSVD you could get the Nautiuls and put it in your car and harness to 65lbs.
then just use the cargo in mil car.

skipspin

I think it depends on your son's maturity first, then your MIL's ability to install seats.

If your son can't stay in position in a booster or you aren't SURE he can, then you need to get him a harnessed seat. OTOH, if you do trust his ability to sit correctly I would base it on your MIL's ability to install a seat. If you know she can do it correctly every time, then a 5 point seat is the best option. If you are afraid that she will install it loosly, forget to lock the belt, etc, then you might be better off with a booster seat.

My DD is 4.5 and over 40 lbs, and I do on occasion let her ride in a Britax Parkway. She sits great, stays in position even when asleep and it fits her wonderfully. She prefers her Radian, but is fine in both.

If you do go with a booster I would highly recommend the Parkway as an easy to use and inexpensive (because it's closed out and on sale) booster seat.

zactayaus

I was actually considering getting another GN for my HB's truck and then keeping the Cargo as a spare at home (we just moved our DS to the top slot on the cargo but he has a good amount of room before he outgrows it). As for my MIL being able to install the seat correctly, I would be the one that had to keep reinstalling the seat. I know he would be safer in the 5-point but I'm wondering how much of a pitb it will be to continuelly have to install it. I just don't know what to do.

Qarin

Well, in a similar situation (DH's car- he'd rarely take DD, and when he did I'd have to go out and install her seat, which he would then uninstall almost immediately because he needed the space, and it made the whole process of him taking her somewhere on his own a PITB and not so much a break for me), I got a Parkway when my DD was about 4.5, and 33lbs or so. She really understood the importance of staying sitting just right, and wasn't at all likely to fall asleep while out with DH. On the other hand, I hear the Nautilus is pretty easy to install, and if you're installing it in something other than, say, a 1983 VW Vanagon, then it may work fine for you to do that regularly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC