Crash Kills Mom; Unborn Baby Survives

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/280915.html

Some quotes from the article:

A baby delivered in emergency surgery after a head-on traffic collision Tuesday night caused fatal injuries to his mother spent his first day of life in intensive care at St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise.

"The response out there was one of the more treacherous responses that I've had to go on," said Shawn Rayne, a supervisor with Ada County Paramedics. "It was a sheet of ice all the way out there. It was a mess."

Saving the unborn child of a woman with fatal injuries is a rare occurrence, even in Rayne's line of work.

Her Cadillac Escalade slammed head-on into a drywall truck - a large flatbed truck with a lifting crane.

Briggs said the airbags in Storch's SUV deployed. But she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

"She appears to have struck the steering wheel. That trauma is ultimately what led to her death," he said.

Briggs said Storch was talking when police arrived at the accident but lost consciousness soon after; an officer started artificial respiration until paramedics arrived.

Briggs said the front end of the vehicle was crushed, but there was "still plenty of room for an occupant to survive.

"It's total speculation, but I think she would have survived if she had been wearing her seat belt," he said. "That's the tragic truth of it all."

She has seven other children. :(

ADS

Zaiyne

That is really sad. And to know the one thing that would have saved her came with the car and she didn't use it.

jdubsm

Last I heard the baby is still in the NICU. :( Had she only had her seatbelt on the outcome could have been so different.

ProudMomof5

Wow, what a heartbreaking story.
I wish she'd have had her seatbelt on. Its your responsibility as a parent to take care of yourself for your kids' sake if not for any other reason.
Like Dr Phil always says " you have to take care of your children's mother".

Mommy2Marcus

That is terrible. I agree that if she had only just took the 5 seconds it takes to buckle up she would probably be alive. What a horrible thing for those children to have to go through!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How tragic. :(

And to think that it's the 2nd time in 2 weeks the same thing has happened... you'd think the woman might've paid attention and been a bit scared when she'd heard the other story.

I wonder if these women were scared to wear seatbelts because of being pregnant. There needs to be some education done on that if that's the case...

eta: A comment at the bottom of the 2nd story mentioned there was another pregnant woman and her unborn child who died in that area just in January. So this makes 3 pregnant moms and their babies who've died already this year in the same area. Is the road known for fatalities? Or is it just unlucky that the fatalities so far have been pregnant women - 2 of whom might've survived had they been wearing their seatbelt? (I don't know about seatbelt use in the first case.)

correction: Baby from the first crash has been in a coma since delivery. Which is just as awful... :(

jdubsm

No it's just two accidents and in different areas. One was on the freeway and the other on a backroad. The first case the baby lived for 7 weeks and the second the baby died shortly after birth. :(

They've had many articles about pregnant women wearing seatbelts since the first accident. Neither area is known for lots of accidents. The first one was weather related and the second appears to be inattentive driving and speed was a factor in both.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No it's just two accidents and in different areas. One was on the freeway and the other on a backroad. The first case the baby lived for 7 weeks and the second the baby died shortly after birth. :(

They've had many articles about pregnant women wearing seatbelts since the first accident. Neither area is known for lots of accidents. The first one was weather related and the second appears to be inattentive driving and speed was a factor in both.

Oh, I didn't realize that the original posted article happened before the one you linked to. :eek: So the baby that was in the coma is the one that died? :(

eta: I saw a link about a roll-over crash that has sent an infant to hospital on the news site you linked to. Baby was in the 2nd vehicle.. you don't happen to have more details on that one do you?

jdubsm

Not yet. I saw that one today and I'm waiting for an update on the 5pm news. I'll update when I see anything.

TerisBoys

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC