LATCH in 2001 Dodge Caravan??

agurlsride

Can someone please confirm that the 01 Grand Caravan Sport has LATCH in all 5 rear seating positions? I am in the process of trying to qualify for a loan for this vehicle (not easy when you have crappy credit). I have not seen the van in person but the dealer is running my info and will have an answer for me tomorrow. I know it has the Gen3 buckles at least in the third row but if the van has LATCH that would make me feel a lot better about buying it. If everything works out I will go and test drive the van tomorrow.
TIA!
Also..if there is anyone who owns a Caravan (not particular on the year) can you tell me how you feel about it....please include the year and model...THANKS!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
There is LATCH in both captain's chairs/second row bench (depending on options) and in the *outboard* positions in the third row. You *may* borrow anchors from the outboard positions for a LATCH install in the center position, BUT then you can NOT use LATCH in the outboard positions.

There are tether anchors in ALL rear seating positions. The 3rd row center position is a lap belt only and IF you have three harnessed seats back there you should not have to worry about someone unbuckling them... nothing should be up against them. :)

ETA: We owned an '03 (Grand Caravan Sport with captain's chairs and 50/50 split 3rd row bench) for 4 years and now have an '08 (Grand Caravan SXT with swivel n' go and 60/40 3rd row split bench). We really liked it. I *love* the new changes on the '08, but really enjoyed some of the friendly carseat features of our '03... for instance, you could install the carseat with LATCH and still flip the seat forward to gain easy access to the third row. There were also tethers in all positions and it was easy to install seats in that vehicle. :)

agurlsride

There is LATCH in both captain's chairs/second row bench (depending on options) and in the *outboard* positions in the third row. You *may* borrow anchors from the outboard positions for a LATCH install in the center position, BUT then you can NOT use LATCH in the outboard positions.

There are tether anchors in ALL rear seating positions. The 3rd row center position is a lap belt only and IF you have three harnessed seats back there you should not have to worry about someone unbuckling them... nothing should be up against them. :)

ETA: We owned an '03 (Grand Caravan Sport with captain's chairs and 50/50 split 3rd row bench) for 4 years and now have an '08 (Grand Caravan SXT with swivel n' go and 60/40 3rd row split bench). We really liked it. I *love* the new changes on the '08, but really enjoyed some of the friendly carseat features of our '03... for instance, you could install the carseat with LATCH and still flip the seat forward to gain easy access to the third row. There were also tethers in all positions and it was easy to install seats in that vehicle. :)

Fabulous!...That all sounds awesome...did you have any major mechanical issues with your 03?

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

You know you can also do a carfax history report if you have the VIN number. It's nice to know about the vehicle before you purchase it. We just bought a 05 Ford Explorer last month and did one before we purchased it. The fee was I think $24 so we narrowed the vehicles down to that one and did the check on that. It is carfax.com.

Sorry I can't help on the latch stuff but thought you might want info on the machanical stuff. :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We had no issues with the '03 at all. The power steering was starting to make a noise, so we would eventually need to replace that, but it's not expensive at all... otherwise it was perfect. We traded in for the '08 because our lease was coming due and the new van payment was the same as the old payment... and I was itching for a new vehicle. ;)

Friend's of ours have an '01 and other friend's have an '00... neither have had issues with their vans either.

This forum will be able to tell you all about the van (mechanically wise)...
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38

We have a 2001 Chrysler T&C which is just like the Caravan. And all seats have latch. Our manual says in the back bench that you can only use two at the same time in the back though. Not sure if that's all exactly the same for the Caravan though.

agurlsride

We had no issues with the '03 at all. The power steering was starting to make a noise, so we would eventually need to replace that, but it's not expensive at all... otherwise it was perfect. We traded in for the '08 because our lease was coming due and the new van payment was the same as the old payment... and I was itching for a new vehicle. ;)

Friend's of ours have an '01 and other friend's have an '00... neither have had issues with their vans either.

This forum will be able to tell you all about the van (mechanically wise)...
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Cool,
Thanks for the info and the link...I'm sure I'll visit it often!

agurlsride

We have a 2001 Chrysler T&C which is just like the Caravan. And all seats have latch. Our manual says in the back bench that you can only use two at the same time in the back though. Not sure if that's all exactly the same for the Caravan though.

I'd realistically only need 2 at a time in the back anyway...thanks for the info!

agurlsride

You know you can also do a carfax history report if you have the VIN number. It's nice to know about the vehicle before you purchase it. We just bought a 05 Ford Explorer last month and did one before we purchased it. The fee was I think $24 so we narrowed the vehicles down to that one and did the check on that. It is carfax.com.

Sorry I can't help on the latch stuff but thought you might want info on the machanical stuff. :thumbsup:

You're totally right about the Carfax. I have the VIN number, I should do that today....thanks!

merryathome

Before you buy....we currently own a Chrysler T&C (pretty much same thing as a Dodge Caravan.) Both of these cars have a problem with the seatbacks collapsing. If you see the thread, the info is on there. We are getting ready to sell ours and purchase either the Kia Sedona or the Ford Freestar, much safer alternatives...

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37064

Good luck. (It's about the 4th post or so down)

agurlsride

Before you buy....we currently own a Chrysler T&C (pretty much same thing as a Dodge Caravan.) Both of these cars have a problem with the seatbacks collapsing. If you see the thread, the info is on there. We are getting ready to sell ours and purchase either the Kia Sedona or the Ford Freestar, much safer alternatives...

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37064

Good luck. (It's about the 4th post or so down)

Thanks for the great info. The only problem for us is that its either this or nothing. We have horrible credit, it has taken us a while to find a place that will finance us (we dont have enough to buy outright) and the Caravan is the only family vehicle they have. I'd wait to see if they got something new but right now we are driving a Jeep Cherokee...it seats 5 and there are 6 of us and during the summer there will be 7 of us. Its a bit of a dilemma. Of course I want my family to be safe but I'm kind of at a loss here.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Before you buy....

If you read that entire thread, you will see that it is NOT a problem specific to this model of vehicle or even this specific brand. This is an issue *across all* vehicles and I would personally *not* limit my decision based on one article like this. Just my :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC