Radian - where's the "it's okay for use on an aircraft" sticker?

Mom2girls

We're flying in a couple days, and I noticed on Air Canada's website that it states the car seat needs two stickers to fly, one of which states something about it being certified for aircraft use.

My dh looked for such a sticker - do you know where it's located? I'd hate to run into trouble at the airport!

ADS

smurf

See p. 26 of the Radian's instruction manual. It refers specifically to aircraft use.

Bring it along to the airport.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's the CMVSS maple leaf sticker, and when you're looking at the front of the Radian, it's on the right side, near the fold (at least that's where it is on mine ;)) It's kinda buried.

I have been denied boarding by Air Canada until they saw the sticker, and I have been made to uninstall my seat (with my sleeping child in it) to show the sticker. Usually, that only happens on the smaller planes. I hope you have a smooth flight!

I've had trouble flying with a Canadian Radian on a US-based airline because it did not have the FAA approval sticker. On the next flight, I showed the CMVSS sticker and pulled the manual out from under the cover and showed the statement and they let me go. I'm flying out of Buffalo again next week, and I hope we don't have any trouble.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The CMVSS sticker alone is enough to fly with a harnessed seat in Canada. The FAA also permits foreign seats to be used on all of their flights so long as they are certified for flight by the foreign country they're from.

If any US airline tries to stop you from using a Canadian seat--let them know it's a violation of FAA rules to deny you using a certified seat, and foreign certified seats are permissible per the FAA. Make a stink--they'll find the answer quite quickly once you threaten to delay their plane.

-Nicole.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yeah that, to everyone else. There is NO FAA sticker on the Radian... it's only in the instruction manual.

You could always do what I did... show him the CMVSS label and have the air canada agent tell you... see, it's right there, where it says N... (he was pointing at the french labelling of CMVSS).:rolleyes:

We've only ever had trouble on the east coast... apparently they only train their agents on the west side of Canada. :whistle:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:D I've only flown out of Vancouver once with the boys and no issues... we fly out of Calgary a lot and have *never* had a problem.

I had nothing but hassles in Halifax, but we've only done that once as well (so not totally fair with my hassling the east coast ;)). We'll see if they are any better in June when we fly out of there again. :)

BudgieStew

I've flown with the Radian's a few times out of Montreal and Halifax and have never had them ask to see if its allowed for use in flight.
I did get some vibes that they may want to question me or was unsure about it, but I made it seem like it was normal. Just barreled ahead and installed it.

I do keep a copy of their(AC) rules concerning car seat usage on flights with me. Since I think flying with a car seat for a older child (three years:rolleyes:) is not so common.

I had one flight attendant say it was great that I was using a car seat onboard. As well as many comments of OMG this is heavy!!! Most attendants were just impressed that it folded.

BudgieStew

I just read the TC link.

Could someone clarify what they heck they mean by the CARE harness being approved but "Air operators must meet the conditions of the exemption prior to permitting the use of this device on board their aircraft. "

What? Huh?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC