Reporting the Ped dr

PixieEMT

I reported my son's pediatrician to the hospital's human resource department.( I also reported some ER staff members, that were being rude to a volunteer ambulance crew. Basically, our little community hospital has been going down hill the last couple of years.) So, I talked to the President of HR.

I told her that the hospital pediatrician is giving out incorrect carseat information. "Maybe your hospial staff needs a CS information seminar" is what I said to HR! He told me to FF my DS at 3 months and 20lbs! :thumbsdown: Thank goodness I knew better! I told her "I'm a CPST and I know better, what about the parents that don't?" :( I told her that AAP recommends that all children ride RF until they reach the maximum limits of their convertible CS. I briefly explained "internal decapitation and the FF stress put on a child's developing/stretchy body.
She asked for me to send her the links to AAP recommendations, ERF (cpsafety.com) and the youtube.com "Importance of rearfacing".:thumbsup:

She emailed me back :) He was her response. (I left out the big piece about the ER staff conduct.)

I also passed along to the CEO and BPS Practice Manager your concern regarding Dr. Burman and his counsel to parents about children and car seat safety. Thank you for all the information you sent in regard to this particular topic. If you have any questions regarding my follow-up, please feel free to contact me.

ADS

elle7715

Oh my gosh that's ridiculous...a 3 month old?!?
You could tell them to contact DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan. We just had the head of their safety program come and talk to us (I'm in nursing school). One of the stories she told was about a 3 month old forward facing. Mom hit a tree and now the baby is completely paralyzed.

jdchic3

Oh my gosh that's ridiculous...a 3 month old?!?
You could tell them to contact DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan. We just had the head of their safety program come and talk to us (I'm in nursing school). One of the stories she told was about a 3 month old forward facing. Mom hit a tree and now the baby is completely paralyzed.

It's a miracle that baby is even still ALIVE! :mad::eek:

elle7715

It's a miracle that baby is even still ALIVE! :mad::eek:

My impression was that it was a 'slow speed' crash. It was a large class so we didn't get a chance to ask questions. Mom was in a hurry to get somewhere and baby was crying. She stopped the car, flipped the infant seat around, and drove while holding a bottle with one hand and steering with the other. Looked back for a second and hit a tree. She was fine but of course her baby was not and will never be.

PixieEMT

I wish I could find that article online! I could add that one to my NZ story "Long road to recovery" about a 17 month old girl that was FF.

elle7715

I wish I could find that article online! I could add that one to my NZ story "Long road to recovery" about a 17 month old girl that was FF.

I don't think it was published, but I bet if I emailed her she could tell me more details or other stories. It wasn't just a lecture about carseats but she brought two techs with her and talked for a long time about car safety. She even had the techs recite the "everyone would be safer rearfacing" line with her. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC