Booster dilemma

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My parents bought a hybrid Highlander (LOVE it!) ... this means that because they have arthritis & nerve damage yet also suffer the anal desire to have a seat in every vehicle regardless of the fact that the seats they use do not get "installed", I need to figure out what to get my kiddo AGAIN - hey, an excuse for a new seat is fine with me since they're paying, but it's the issue of it not being a harness because of their inabilities to use the clasps correctly :( Leila is 41" 33# at 3.5 yrs. Here's what she currently uses:
  • FF BLVD in my Escape
  • FF Wizard in stepmom's Intrepid (soon to be handed down to stepmom's new baby)
  • Husky in my new man's MDX
  • Kid-Y in Grandpa's F250
  • LapTop in a "spare" Tracker
  • CarGo harness in cousin's Caravan
  • Parkway in Grandma's Prius
This kid has so many flippin' seats already!!! Thank goodness, she doesn't mind using various seats :p But, she often takes short rides with my parents that aren't planned ahead of time & they like to keep an easy to use seat handy at all times for this reason - understandably - & I know they have trouble getting harnesses buckled & pulled tight enough *SIGH* Leila has been doing great using the Parkway & we have an extra Starriser Comfy that her big sis uses now that my parents have taken over the Parkway. Big sis will not be riding with us on a regular basis now that school is starting & stuff - when she does I can move Leila's BLVD outboard to accomodate big sis' Turbo. So, I'm thinking why not just use the SRC middle/center in the Highlander?

However, the manual doesn't give a weight range & the height range is 43"-53" ... testing it out, though, the belt is properly positioned on her now at only 41" But, I'm guessing that if she did use it at her current height it would void any guarantee? Also, if she could use it, I'd need to buy a replacement back because it got damaged in storage @@

ADS
U

Unregistered

You mention using the seat outside of manufacturers recommendation might void any guarantee. I'm wondering what that means? I'm not being 'smart' here, just thinking that if it has a mechanical problem that needs fixing how could that relate to a shorter than recommended child being in it, you contact them and get help. And if, God forbid, something would happen to her while riding in it how does the guarantee come into that situation at all?
Could your insurance NOT cover injuries because the seat wasn't being used correctly??
I usually don't go against 'the rules' but do have my dd rf in a RA beyond the 30" sticker height 'rule' because she has lots of room (1 1/2- 2") before her head even reaches the top of the seat. I also have an older RA ('expires' this month) that I am saving for a while as an emergency seat. I know how to use it and feel it is probably safe at least a few months past expirery. (Is that a word, I wonder?!)
I think you should call Britax, they might say if it is an excellent fit then go ahead. They also might say no, way lady, can't you read the manual!! :)
Along the same line my older dd used her Comet sitting behind a head 'rest' that was not all the way down. The manual specifically stated NOT to do that. I figured it was probably better for my 6'2" husband to have his neck protected and risk dd hitting her face on the bars. That sounds terrible but I think probably a better choice?
C.

U

Unregistered

P.S. You have more seats for 1 child than I do for 2! I've got 2 Huskys, 2 RA (one in the garage), 1 Wiz and a Comet in garage too. I have 2 seats in van and 2 in car and so far have avoided any in the truck. I can see the day coming when dd complains of missing riding in truck with dad ( it IS fun to ride in, just so much less safe) and dad says 'yeah, why deprive her of a ride in the truck?' and I'll be explaining why she can't use it unless harnessed and switching out a Husky for a 10 min trip to Home Depot!!
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
P.S. You have more seats for 1 child than I do for 2!
No kidding! Takes carseat obsession to a whole new level, doesn't it? :p Seriously, it's because we never know who's going to take her anywhere at any given time because we have a family owned business & it depends on a daily basis who does which errands - she needs some time out fo the building for everyone's sanity, including her own :rolleyes: Most of the seats get shared by other kids anyway (big sis & 6 cousins & neighbors), so it works out OK :) I'm thinking, we might just end up getting another Parkway (maybe cougar this time, LOL) since I know Leila uses it well & my parents like it, but why spend the $ if we don't really have to, ya know? I guess I'll call Britax....

KeikiHula

subliminal message......buy the Cougar PW...... :p

I want it so bad, but we just got Morgan's BG back and I know dh would have a fit if I bought another carseat. That'd be 3 carseats for Morgan to use in 1 car....LOL

So why can't Leila use the PW or the Laptop from one of the other cars? It only takes a second to grab one of them since they don't need to be installed. And it's not like your parents can drive 3 cars at once.....;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
KeikiHula said:
So why can't Leila use the PW or the Laptop from one of the other cars? It only takes a second to grab one of them since they don't need to be installed. And it's not like your parents can drive 3 cars at once.....
This is what I've been saying for months!!! They're never sure which vehicle they'll drive to work & just don't want to have to take the few seconds each morning to remember to grab the booster/LapTop *SIGH* It's been very frustrating for me - but, at least they're supportive of the carseat industry, LOL :p

Just got off the phone with Britax CS - they're sooooo nice & helpful :) She said that Leila does fit the weight requirement & as long as the belt is properly positioned then it's OK ... I feel alright doing this for the rare short trip to the bank since the seat will be in the middle/center position with head rest & ALR lap/shoulder belt (side curtain airbags on the side as well), plus it's not likely she'll fall asleep on these short rides either - I found out I don't need to worry about getting the back replaced, too :cool: YAY

Last edited:

KeikiHula

hey...if they wanna fork out the $100 for a new PW, I say more power to them.....LOL Somebody's got to buy one and it can't be me for a couple more months at least. :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

You know, my in-laws got around the whole 'car seat issue' by giving us their van. That way if they want to take the kids somewhere they just borrow it!!! Works for me, I was getting kinda stressed from being pressured to move seats or having to talk them into using our car since I don't like uninstalling my kids seats if I don't HAVE to.( They have this NEED to come visit and then leave with my kids !!) I feel better too that they know how to drive the van having owned it for 6 years!! Tho I still worry my head off until they return.
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Same here - I'm a "worry wart" ... I'd like them to get another PW, actually, but they don't want to buy another seat if we have 1 that works. So, no flashy pink cougar print fo rus, unfortunately :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
For The Record

For those who aren't used to me ... I just want to stress that ideally my kid would not ride in a booster yet at all (I wish they could use the 5 point harness seats we have!) - this is only because my parents have nerve damage & arthritis yet we all NEED to get my kiddo some time out of the office :eek: :p (Boy, I can't wait till her Gymnastics, Kindermusik & Spanish classes start up again, LOL!)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC