Mac Volo vs Triumph?

Michi

I'm looking for a nice lightweight umbrella-type stroller for my 3 year old. She mostly likes to walk, but on longer outings I think a stroller would be nice to have along.

I was at BRU today and I liked the Macs (plus they were on sale.)
Other than the recline feature - is the Triumph worth another $50?

And, in general, are Macs REALLY worth the money vs a 'cheap' umbrella stroller? (Why are they so expensive?)

ADS

skaterbabs

I was concerened about the lack of recline when I got my Volo, but I've not found that it's been an issue. Joy sleeps just fine in the Volo without the recline.

And yes, it absolutely is worth the higher price tag. I wish I'd just bought mine when Joy outgrew in the Snugride. It weighs next to nothing, folds up just as small as the cheap umbrellas, and has more than twice the weight capacity of the cheap ones.

twokidstwodogs

I have a Triumph. I bought it when DD#2 was about 3 months old, so I went for the recline. I also liked the fabric better than the mesh on the Volo. Oh, and they had this beautiful mossy green fabric with pink trim. But I don't know if I'd spend the extra $50 on it for an older child, unless I were planning to have another. The Volo is plenty nice as it is.

I thought my Combi Ultrasavvy was a nice stroller until I got the Maclaren. No comparison! It is unbelievably easy to maneuver, even with a bigger kid in it, and of course, it's very lightweight. It's also genuinely a one-hand fold. You will not find a better stroller for zipping around crowded places with a latte in hand, if that's important to you. (It was for me!)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't think the Triumph is worth the extra money over the Volo, as long as your child is about a year or older. The sling seat in the Volo is actually larger than the fabric seat in the Triumph (they're the same frame, yes).. and the sling-style seat is very supportive when kids sleep in the seat. Now that the Volo comes with the rain cover, I can't see any reason to get a Triumph over the Volo unless you're really interested in a specific colour.

The eBay seller "babyproductstore" is clearing out 2007 Maclarens for great prices (they also have a website, but the strollers there are a few dollars more in the end).. you won't see Macs that cheap in stores plus there's no tax as long as you're not in CT. I've bought a few strollers from this seller, and I've been really happy with them.

-Nicole.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A Volo 'looks like' a cheap Kolcraft the way any cheap quality product 'looks like' a good one, if that makes sense? But the aluminum is definitely a factor...so are the tall handles, the extremely easy fold, the quality of the replaceable seat fabrics, the one handed steering, the carry strap (you can fold it in two seconds and throw it on your back as soon as your tired kiddo decides to get up and walk...you'd still be jamming your toe on the locking mechanism on the back of the Kolcraft in that time, and your back would hurt from bending over to push the thing, rofl!)

:D (ours is going on 6 years old now of fairly steady use and abuse, and it still looks nice, pushes great, etc..)

skaterbabs

well, it's easy to fold unless you're Cameron. He cannot figure it out to save his life - and I've shown him ten times. :rolleyes: Methinks someone doesn't WANT to know. lol he'll just put the whole thing in the back of the Jeep open. :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had to put little red and green star stickers on mine for my mom the first time, lol... push the red stars to close it up, the green ones to open it up.....

mamaofthree

As someone who has had MANY "cheap" strollers and recently acquired a clearance Volo, I have to say "Yes, they ARE worth it!!!" Seriously, it is the best stroller ever. I can't believe I spent so much money on other strollers that didn't last and were a pain to deal with. I should've shelled out the money for a few expensive strollers (because you really do need more than one- diff strollers for diff purposes) and used the same ones for all my kids.

I got my Volo for $50 on clearance, but after using it the first time, I felt like I would pay full price for one. Super easy to fold and unfold, sturdy yet lightweight, and steers like a dream. It's a great size too, my 6 yo even fits in it. After buying it, I decided I wanted another good stroller, perhaps one that reclined, so I checked out the other Macs and I didn't like how the Triumph wasn't as deep in the seat area. And like others have said, the way the Volo is shaped makes it okay to sleep in sitting up for an older child. My 3 year has fallen asleep in it and just laid her head to the side. HTH!

Kimberly

indigoblossom

2 days ago I got a volo floor model for $57 at BRU. (The sticker was 79; they were offering 15% more off for floor models and accepted my coupon for 15% off.) HTH

yeah, my BRU had them near the clearance table but they weren't marked down. i was told they were just 15% off, though i think they should have been clearanced and then an additonal 15% off but i had a $10 off coupon and don't feel bad getting a volo for $75, yk?

the handle height is much better than other umbrella strollers but i really wish they were a wee bit higher, like the quest.

eri

I might go pick up the 06 Volo in Carbon Black Fabric...my BRU has it in stock for 90 dollars or so...I have a Quinny Zapp, Maclaren Quest & the european version of the Britax Vigour! and one baby..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC