Question about Thin Strap Covers

ADS

mcomommy

Using any after market product on your seat voids your warranty, just fyi. As far as those in particular, a friend of mine had them a liked them, they are pretty thin.

Splash

Using after market strap covers does not in any way void your warranty. It might present an argument for a defense lawyer if you were ever to be in a wreck and your child was seriously injured and you went after the CS manufacturer stating that it was their fault. But it does nothing to your warranty. If your seat breaks within warranty period, they'll still fix it. And no personal injury lawyer worth his salt would lose a case over thin strap covers, anyway.
I see nothing wrong with thin covers, it's really no different than no shirt versus thin shirt versus thicker shirt versus fleece sweatshirt. I wouldn't use those obnoxiously poofy ones with ugly flowers on them, but thin ones are fine. Technically against manufacturer recommendations, but not a real safety issue as long as they are thin and you tighten the straps correctly.

amy_6405

Thanks for your replies! I haven't bought any yet but saw those and thought that if DD has problems with the straps on her EFTA than I might pick them up since they are thing. I agree I hate the poofy flowery ones. I would do the sock thing but I'm not a sower and would worry about fraying edges.:)

tjham

I'm surprised the TA doesn't have strap covers! How lame. :rolleyes:

FWIW, most cut socks don't fray.

I had those FP covers. They are cute and not long like most AM covers. I think they have a snap instead of velcro.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

some companies (BRITAX) state that it will void the warrenty... but we're talking about warrenty should the seat fail in a crash or the child be ejected or something... not basic repairs.

now I've actually seen and experienced those strap covers (so many have used them and I've gotten to see their effects and such)... they really are thicker than they seem and the width is a problem with keeping the belts on the shoulder properly on some seat.

I'd recommend taking out needle and thread or Ye Olde Sewing machine and two socks.

cut off the toes... slice along the length... seal off the ends since you worry about fraying (but in my experience it just doesn't happen), and then take strips/circles of velcro (you can buy them in the craft/sewing section at the large walmarts)... and use that to fasten them around your straps.

Because you have to do it this way, you may want to use larger socks than the ones your baby wears, just depending on baby's shoe size.

So if you use, say, one of YOUR socks... just cut it shorter... you want it long enough to offer protection to the neck, but short enough not to interfere with the chest clip.

HTH!!

amy_6405

Kat_Momof3 - Thanks! I might have to try the sock thing after all if DD has problems with the straps on the EFTA, she didn't have any problems with her snugride straps so I don't know if she will have any with the EFTA. I think I could handle putting velcro on something :D I just can't sew at all!

tjham

No sewing necessary if you use the right size sock, cut off the cuffs, undo the harness straps, thread them on and redo the straps. That's how the FP SVD strap covers work and it's really easy.

Kat_Momof3

oh... and since I totally wasn't typing well when I typed the first one... let me add the detail I left out....

you can seal the side edges where you cut by folding it over and using the strip-style velcro... just put the velcro over the folded edge and the main part of the sock... like putting a sticker or tape over a fold on paper to seal it.

it's really easy.

tjham - you can't unthread the EFTA straps... so you have to slice the socks... but still doable no-sew.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC