Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: RECARO RECALL - Signo, Como

Ds is now FF full time, and the Signo really is a great seat. Easy to adjust, a snap to install, and I do trust it. Between the SIP wings and the side airbags, I feel that if someone hit us from the side, he'd be protected.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Bumping this up for an update. Today's mail at last brought me the recall kits for our Signo and Como. It took a few rounds of nudging Recaro to confirm the seats were registered to get the kits sent out to me. I hope everyone else with affected seats has received the recall kit by now. If not, be sure to politely and persistently follow up with Recaro by phone/e-mail to get the kit sent to you.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

HELP!

I got my newly ordered Recaro Signo today and the manufacture date is 10/31/07! So this seat is RECALLED? What a PITA!!

How do I get to this harness to check if the fix has been done?

Take off the plastic, rectangular shaped harness cover on the back of the Signo, and then you can see and access the harness splitter plate. The posts toward the beginning of this thread have harness splitter plate comparison photos showing the "before" and "after" recall fix.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

So I figured out how to remove the back access panel. It took me a minute to realize the plate was on the BOTTOM of the seat. I felt it and realized it was there. I loosened the harness, and up came the plate MISSING one of the end caps. It fell off when I adjusted the harness. I was happy they were there but the plastic seems to be very thin (not at all as thick as one of the key plastic protectors one poster indicated) and easily came off. I was able to stick it back on, very easily, and two little shakes of the plastic fix make it wiggle off again. ???

I slowly tightened it to get it back to it's home place of under the seat area and felt to be sure it's intact.

Should I be worried about this? I mean, it did not seem like a concrete fix if one if falling off that easily!

The end cap shouldn't fall off or come off the harness splitter plate so easily IMHO. I would have to really tug at the end caps on ours to remove them from the splitter plate. I think you need to contact Recaro and ask them to send you a replacement end cap, or caps if there's any sign of both caps being loose, and hopefully it won't take very long for them to send it to you. Recaro actually ended up sending me an extra recall kit (3 kits for 2 seats, oops), but I can't figure out where I or my kids have misplaced the extra one. If it turns up, I'll PM you. In the meantime, Recaro is likely to advise you to double check that the harness is connected to the splitter plate each time you use the seat. You're going to use the seat rear facing, right? Leaving the plastic harness cover off the back of the Signo will make it easier to double check that the straps are fully on the splitter plate.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Quote Originally Posted by RJONES0207 View Post
    So I figured out how to remove the back access panel. It took me a minute to realize the plate was on the BOTTOM of the seat. I felt it and realized it was there. I loosened the harness, and up came the plate MISSING one of the end caps. It fell off when I adjusted the harness. I was happy they were there but the plastic seems to be very thin (not at all as thick as one of the key plastic protectors one poster indicated) and easily came off. I was able to stick it back on, very easily, and two little shakes of the plastic fix make it wiggle off again. ???

I slowly tightened it to get it back to it's home place of under the seat area and felt to be sure it's intact.

Should I be worried about this? I mean, it did not seem like a concrete fix if one if falling off that easily!
    Mine went on very tightly and could not possibly come off. I wonder why yours did?
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    The end cap shouldn't fall off or come off the harness splitter plate so easily IMHO. I would have to really tug at the end caps on ours to remove them from the splitter plate. I think you need to contact Recaro and ask them to send you a replacement end cap, or caps if there's any sign of both caps being loose, and hopefully it won't take very long for them to send it to you. Recaro actually ended up sending me an extra recall kit (3 kits for 2 seats, oops), but I can't figure out where I or my kids have misplaced the extra one. If it turns up, I'll PM you. In the meantime, Recaro is likely to advise you to double check that the harness is connected to the splitter plate each time you use the seat. You're going to use the seat rear facing, right? Leaving the plastic harness cover off the back of the Signo will make it easier to double check that the straps are fully on the splitter plate.
    I got a total of 6 recall kits I think for 2 seats
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo

SOOOO, I took another look at my splitter plate and noticed the caps they installed were NOT in the same place as the ones you guys show in your examples. I am including a photo (hopefully - never done that before!).

The cap on the LEFT reflects how these were installed out of the box. The cap on the RIGHT I moved to match your images of the retrofit.

The one on the RIGHT is completely secure, while the one of the left, easily slipped off again.

Does anyone still have the retrofit instructions? I'd like to confirm that the RIGHT is the correct placement and am curious what I should do, if anything, about the caps being placed differently and easily slipping off....besides move them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CPS Fanatic

yes, the cap on the RIGHT is correctly installed. the cap on the LEFT is incorrect. no wonder it fell off!! how could they have put that on this way from the factory?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Ugh, the cap on the right is indeed the correct placement. Move the one on the left to match, and it should be snug as long as the cap wasn't somehow mangled or stretched out too much. I wonder if the retailer applied the fix, or if this was Recaro's doing? Either way, yikes, and it's a good thing RJones was diligent to double check the splitter plate.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

I agree, ALARMING!

I am so happy that I:
    1. Found this site
    2. Found this thread
    3. That you guys take awesome photos displaying such important details.

OTHERWISE, I'd have had no idea about the recall, or paid any attention to my manufacture date and known to look for this retrofit.

I have now placed both caps correctly and they are VERY secure. Plus they way they did it caused a slight bunch in the belt, which is now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    yes, the cap on the RIGHT is correctly installed. the cap on the LEFT is incorrect. no wonder it fell off!! how could they have put that on this way from the factory?
    One more point for recaro.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo