RECARO RECALL - Signo, Como

Mama!

Ds is now FF full time, and the Signo really is a great seat. Easy to adjust, a snap to install, and I do trust it. Between the SIP wings and the side airbags, I feel that if someone hit us from the side, he'd be protected.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Bumping this up for an update. Today's mail at last brought me the recall kits for our Signo and Como. It took a few rounds of nudging Recaro to confirm the seats were registered to get the kits sent out to me. I hope everyone else with affected seats has received the recall kit by now. If not, be sure to politely and persistently follow up with Recaro by phone/e-mail to get the kit sent to you.

RJONES0207

HELP!

I got my newly ordered Recaro Signo today and the manufacture date is 10/31/07! So this seat is RECALLED? :mad: What a PITA!!

How do I get to this harness to check if the fix has been done?

Jeanum

Staff member
Take off the plastic, rectangular shaped harness cover on the back of the Signo, and then you can see and access the harness splitter plate. The posts toward the beginning of this thread have harness splitter plate comparison photos showing the "before" and "after" recall fix.

RJONES0207

So I figured out how to remove the back access panel. It took me a minute to realize the plate was on the BOTTOM of the seat. I felt it and realized it was there. I loosened the harness, and up came the plate MISSING one of the end caps. It fell off when I adjusted the harness. I was happy they were there but the plastic seems to be very thin (not at all as thick as one of the key plastic protectors one poster indicated) and easily came off. I was able to stick it back on, very easily, and two little shakes of the plastic fix make it wiggle off again. :confused: ???

I slowly tightened it to get it back to it's home place of under the seat area and felt to be sure it's intact.

Should I be worried about this? I mean, it did not seem like a concrete fix if one if falling off that easily!

Jeanum

Staff member
The end cap shouldn't fall off or come off the harness splitter plate so easily IMHO. I would have to really tug at the end caps on ours to remove them from the splitter plate. I think you need to contact Recaro and ask them to send you a replacement end cap, or caps if there's any sign of both caps being loose, and hopefully it won't take very long for them to send it to you. Recaro actually ended up sending me an extra recall kit (3 kits for 2 seats, oops), but I can't figure out where I or my kids have misplaced the extra one. :eek: If it turns up, I'll PM you. In the meantime, Recaro is likely to advise you to double check that the harness is connected to the splitter plate each time you use the seat. You're going to use the seat rear facing, right? Leaving the plastic harness cover off the back of the Signo will make it easier to double check that the straps are fully on the splitter plate.

Mama!

So I figured out how to remove the back access panel. It took me a minute to realize the plate was on the BOTTOM of the seat. I felt it and realized it was there. I loosened the harness, and up came the plate MISSING one of the end caps. It fell off when I adjusted the harness. I was happy they were there but the plastic seems to be very thin (not at all as thick as one of the key plastic protectors one poster indicated) and easily came off. I was able to stick it back on, very easily, and two little shakes of the plastic fix make it wiggle off again. :confused: ???

I slowly tightened it to get it back to it's home place of under the seat area and felt to be sure it's intact.

Should I be worried about this? I mean, it did not seem like a concrete fix if one if falling off that easily!

Mine went on very tightly and could not possibly come off. I wonder why yours did?

Mama!

The end cap shouldn't fall off or come off the harness splitter plate so easily IMHO. I would have to really tug at the end caps on ours to remove them from the splitter plate. I think you need to contact Recaro and ask them to send you a replacement end cap, or caps if there's any sign of both caps being loose, and hopefully it won't take very long for them to send it to you. Recaro actually ended up sending me an extra recall kit (3 kits for 2 seats, oops), but I can't figure out where I or my kids have misplaced the extra one. :eek: If it turns up, I'll PM you. In the meantime, Recaro is likely to advise you to double check that the harness is connected to the splitter plate each time you use the seat. You're going to use the seat rear facing, right? Leaving the plastic harness cover off the back of the Signo will make it easier to double check that the straps are fully on the splitter plate.

I got a total of 6 recall kits I think for 2 seats :cool:

RJONES0207

SOOOO, I took another look at my splitter plate and noticed the caps they installed were NOT in the same place as the ones you guys show in your examples. I am including a photo (hopefully - never done that before!).

The cap on the LEFT reflects how these were installed out of the box. The cap on the RIGHT I moved to match your images of the retrofit.

The one on the RIGHT is completely secure, while the one of the left, easily slipped off again.

Does anyone still have the retrofit instructions? I'd like to confirm that the RIGHT is the correct placement and am curious what I should do, if anything, about the caps being placed differently and easily slipping off....besides move them.

southpawboston

yes, the cap on the RIGHT is correctly installed. the cap on the LEFT is incorrect. no wonder it fell off!! how could they have put that on this way from the factory? :eek: :confused:

Jeanum

Staff member
Ugh, the cap on the right is indeed the correct placement. Move the one on the left to match, and it should be snug as long as the cap wasn't somehow mangled or stretched out too much. I wonder if the retailer applied the fix, or if this was Recaro's doing? Either way, yikes, and it's a good thing RJones was diligent to double check the splitter plate.

RJONES0207

I agree, ALARMING!

I am so happy that I:
1. Found this site
2. Found this thread
3. That you guys take awesome photos displaying such important details.

OTHERWISE, I'd have had no idea about the recall, or paid any attention to my manufacture date and known to look for this retrofit.

I have now placed both caps correctly and they are VERY secure. Plus they way they did it caused a slight bunch in the belt, which is now gone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC