Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: RECARO RECALL - Signo, Como

Does this mean you called them every day this past week, or did the recall kits spontaneously arrive in your mail?
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    Does this mean you called them every day this past week, or did the recall kits spontaneously arrive in your mail?
    when i called gail to ask about the como call tag (see your PM inbox) i also asked her about the recall kits, and she said they had already shipped out to all registered owners. the envelopes were postmarked this past tuesday, the day i called . i would think everyone should be receiving them by monday?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    Perhaps SPB or anyone else who received their recall kit could post a picture of the splitter plate with the caps from the recall kit applied, hint hint nudge nudge... :-)
    as requested, i did the como, as it is sitting in our basement:

in this pic only one side has the cap on. you can see how it closes up the gap completely. also, it was hard to get on, i highly doubt it will ever come off on its own. and, the harness still seems smooth loosening and tightening, so the caps aren't causing the plate to get caught up inside the seat... (thanks, jeanum, for the paper contrast tip )

Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Ours came today, 2 sets. One for the Como I no longer own and the Signo I now own.

I didn't even call.

SPB, did you get your seats sufficiently switched out? I know you wanted to trade.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Glad you got them, SPB! Wow, what a difference with the cap.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

I got one repair kit in the mail yesterday and one today. That was the first I had heard about it. I have never, thankfully, noticed any problem before. Interestingly, though, even though my seat was in the recall, my splitter plate looks different. The gaps are smaller! But, glad they are taken care of.
    SAHM to DD#1 12 (More# than me)adult belt,DD#2 8 (80#)adult belt, DS#1 4 FF in COMO, DS#2&3, 16 months,27 lbs, RF both in BLVDs

Thanks for the picture of the cap on the splitter plate. It definitely looks like an effective means of keeping the harness on the splitter. I'm going to follow up with Recaro if the kits don't show up in a couple more days here.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

they have pulled ALL these seats off their website from what i saw today.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by aisraeltax View Post
    they have pulled ALL these seats off their website from what i saw today.
    huh? what do you mean? i just went there (recaro.com) and the website is just as it's been for months...

Carseat Crazy

How difficult will it be to get the caps off again? I'm wondering about the ease of removal to clean the cover, change the harness height (for the Como), etc.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Interesting solution- they look like the caps that go on the pegs for shelves in bookcases and such.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by csma View Post
    How difficult will it be to get the caps off again? I'm wondering about the ease of removal to clean the cover, change the harness height (for the Como), etc.
    it takes some effort, but it's doable. it involves bending and contorting the cap, and a little bit of fingernail action.

Quote Originally Posted by crunchierthanthou View Post
    Interesting solution- they look like the caps that go on the pegs for shelves in bookcases and such.
    yeah, those too. but i swear, if you drilled a little hole in it near the dome end, it would be one of those little key caps that cost $0.39 at hardware stores. it's just about the same size and thickness.

i'm sure whoever at recaro thought of this solution got a serious pat on the back, since this fix is probably costing recaro $1 per customer including postage (which as $0.80). i would think the only other solution would be to swap out the splitter plate, which would require removing the adjuster... that would mean shipping the seat back to recaro.

I got mine on Saturday, thankfully I've never had the problem with the harness coming off the splitter plate. The little caps were also a little tough to get on, but I suppose that means they'll be hard to get off.
    Jackie, mama to--
    Corbin age 8, Graco TB backless
    Reid age 5.5, Recaro Vivo
    Faith age 3.5, Recaro ProSport

Sable Halloway

Thumbs down Recaro Signo

I would just like to inform all of you that the Recaro Signo currently has a recall. I went out to buy the Britax but the sales men convinced me that this car seat was safter so I said ok and he went to get it and couldnt find one so I said I would come back later. But then I went home to make sure he wasnt full of it and the main website shows the exact carseat I was going to buy with a recall notice, which upset me. But anways, I just want everyone to know that way none of you buy it right now and if you have it to call in and see if yours is safe or not.

Thanks for listening.

Re: Recaro Signo

Welcome, Sable, and thanks for helping to get the word out about the Recaro recall. I moved your post over here to an existing thread which has the details of the Recaro recall and an ongoing discussion in the board's News/Media/Recalls section.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Re: Recaro Signo

Its just simple rubber caps that close a gap on the splitter plate.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Ugh, DH confessed to forgetting to mail the Recaro registration cards for me until sometime last month. The cards were tucked into his briefcase and forgotten for a while, talk about timing. . I'm still waiting after a couple of rounds of contacting Recaro to make sure they have the registration info. and to nudge them into sending the kits to me. Moral of the story: send in the registration cards in a timely fashion, and do it myself next time.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Carseat Crazy

I still think the Como and Signo are very safe seats. With the rubber pieces in place of course. Just by the look and feel of this seat, I am convinced. VERY sturdy and DEEP. MANY seats have had recalls on them and we still trust them. Just do a google search of "Britax Recall" and you will see. The Como and Signo are new. Looks like they are just working out the kinks.

CPS Fanatic

i feel that they are safe seats. for one thing, they not only conform to FMVSS213, but they also conform to the european standard ECE-44.03 that some euro countries require seats to comply with (UK, for example). i don't know what differences there are between the US and UK standards, but it's nice to know the new recaros were tested to, and passed, multiple standards. i don't know if any other seats sold in the US actually make that claim in their manuals, but that in itself is reassuring to me. also, they conform to a "proposed" but not ratified international side impact standard ISO/DIS 14646. that gives me that extra bit of reassurance that their SIP (SIP is hotly debated here in terms of actually functionality) really is more than just eye candy .

and yes, they did/do have some kinks to work out. but i trust them 100% as my primary seats. and yes, many reputable companies have piles of recalls... this is normal in the industry. it's actually rare not to have one. judging from the fact that none of the previous recaros (start, young style, young sport) have had recalls, i'd also say the company is pretty thorough in their product development.

CPS Technician stayinhomewithmy6's Avatar

Since my kit hasn't come yet and everyone else's has, that must mean that I really didn't register DD's Signo. I really couldn't remember if I had or not, but I have learned my lesson & have already sent in the registration for the new Companion that just arrived here the other day. Now I'll have to try to call Recaro, but I need to have someone bring the seat in for me first and DH won't be home until tomorrow.
    SAHM to my silly six: X (12, seatbelt), R (11, seatbelt), E (9, Evenflo Amp),
    Z (6, Frontier 85 in booster mode), G (4, FF TFP) and M (2, RF Pavilion)