RECARO RECALL - Signo, Como

ADS

niccig

Yes!!!!
Thank you for posting this. I've been doing the Recaro email run around as the harness came off DS's seat and DH didn't know how to put it back together. They sent me a new seat, but manufactured 9/2007 and it's exactly the same as the 7/2007 that I had. So I emailed Katherine on Monday and said this wasn't a solution and so far no response. I was waiting until next week for the next email and to tell them I'll report it to the NHTSA.

So know I have to email again and get the fix to the Como I bought, but now I have the extra Como as well, as they were supposed to arrange shipping back on my seat and they didn't.

But DH will be happy - he hates the adjuster on the BV and wants the Como back in his car.

TJM05

I was just going to BRU today to look at the Como again so I guess I'll have to make sure they've pulled the '07 off the shelf.

Thanks!

southpawboston

it's about time!!! seriously, i told katherine back in october about this problem, how it was happening, and what could be done to fix it. i suggested a different splitter plate. apparently they chose an easier route that doesn't involve replacing the seat. but i can see how their fix will do the job.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Thanks for posting this! I haven't had this problem, but I'm sure our Signo is involved in the recall. The link doesn't answer the question of whether or not I can continue to use the seat until the repair kit comes. I assume I can unless I notice something wrong with the harness? :confused:

niccig

If you continue to use it, give the harness a sharp tug before buckling it up, to make sure it's still on the splitter plate. DH was trying to untwist the straps as they got twisted when DS climbed in/out, and as DH was fiddling with them, one harness strap came off the splitter plate and ended up in his hands. To fix, you have to install and attach it back up. They just slip really easily off the splitter plate.

My annoyance is that I contacted them 2 weeks ago. Why did they send me a 2nd seat that's also affected by the recall. Didn't they know it was seats before Dec 2007, so then send me one with a DOM after Dec. Or, tell me to hold on a couple of weeks for a fix. I do think it's the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. But now I have to sort out with them what to do about the new seat they sent.

TJM05

I went to BRU today and all of the Comos on the floor were manufactured before 12/07 and the sales associate didn't even know about the recall. He didn't believe me and insisted that they know about recalls before the public :rolleyes:. Needless to say, we didn't buy the Recaro and went w/a Britax Blvd. He didn't even know where to find the DOM on the carseat!:thumbsdown: I told him I went to Recaro's website and read the recall and he still didn't believe me. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they've pulled them from the shelf yet.

TJM05

I went to BRU again last night and they FINALLY pulled them off the shelf. I saw the associate that I talked to the other day and he apologized for being a jerk. I guess they contacted corporate BRU and told them about the recall on Sunday and then on Monday they got the notice from BRU to pull them off the shelf.

southpawboston

i know it's only been a few days, but has anyone received their kit yet? has anyone even successfully contacted recaro for it? i just spoke to gayle, and she said that anyone who had registered their signos/comos will automatically receive a recall kit, and that they were just sent out that last couple of days.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I just (and I mean 2 minutes ago) got an email about the recall. I am assuming I will be getting a repair kit in the mail (?) or do I have to contact someone to find out? And who is sending the kit, Recaro or the companies who sell the products?

JerseyGirl'sMama

I read the email I got from TipToeTurtle.com. (I didn't read the whole thing at first, I was so anxious to get on here and see if there was already info about it ;)) It says if you already sent in your registration card (I did) then Recaro will automatically be sending you a kit.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I don't think I sent in my registration card , so I'll have to call them. But, first I have to bring the seat in out of the van to find the numbers that they'll want. Ugh. My belly is really starting to get in the way, so I'm not looking forward to having to get that seat out of the back seat of my van! I have Gayle's email. Maybe I should try emailing her first. :confused:

southpawboston

i received the recall kits today in the mail... all three kits for my two signos and como. they sent each one in its own envelope :rolleyes:. all the kit consists of is two small black rubbery caps which look sorta like the little color-coded covers you can buy for your keys at your local hardware store for $0.39, and an instruction sheet with walk-through and photos. the caps just slip onto the splitter plate and close up the gap where you insert the harness strap.

i won't get to installing these until tomorrow. i hope they don't cause interference with the splitter plate! i hope that adjusting the harness is still smooth with those caps on there!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Good to know your kits arrived. I'm starting to tap my foot impatiently here for the caps to show up in my mailbox because I'm practically in Recaro North America's back yard. :whistle:

For anyone who's curious, here's a photo of the harness splitter plate used on the affected Como and Signo models, showing the gap on the ends where the harness slips off (I used an orange post-it note for contrast against the black splitter plate, harness and shell):
comosplitterplate.jpg

Perhaps SPB or anyone else who received their recall kit could post a picture of the splitter plate with the caps from the recall kit applied, hint hint nudge nudge... :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC