School bus Project I was Working on

Jmark

I was involved with research and development for a vehicle/fleet telemetry company. (about 18 months ago, NDA expired so i can finally talk to this) The idea was to use a data-enable gps tracking unit in a vehicle (which uses a cell phone modem) and transmit speed of school buses, doors open/closed, etc... as well as tracking data to a central database. I helped to develop something called the Student Accountability System . This has NOT taken off in the USA. however it is pretty interesting. The first iteration of it had each student carrying a bar-coded id, and an aid scanning each bar code getting on the bus. I developed a major improvement for this system using an RFID reader and two antennas. (for those who dont know what RFID is, think ezpass for tolls, or mobil speedpass)

Antenna 1 was over the bus door. therefore the students would be marked on/off the bus as they got on.

Antenna 2 was for something different. We tested with a Pre-K-2nd grade school where all the seats were safeguard S.T.A.R Plus'. I experimented with a 2-part rfid tag mounted on the buckle, which looked like a thin sticker with VERY strong adhesive. this was on the rear of the buckle, so it didnt change any safety aspect. The second part was adhered to the nearby waist straps. I set the limit between the two elements to be about 3 inches.

The data was organized as follows:

student on bus + both tags within 3 inches -- O.K.
student not on bus + any other data -- OK
Student on bus + restraint unbuckled -- Alert sent to transit manager's pager.

This system also allowed for over-speed alerts and geographic map based fencing. It would have been a major safety improvement to students everywhere if it caught on, however, it didn't.

P.S. riding at 7 am with a busload of children and a laptop reading data can drive someone crazy; I gained alot of respect for bus drivers after seeing what they deal with on a daily basis.

Last edited:
ADS

momtoirs

I load 12+ preschoolers onto school busses each day as a part of my job. Many are harnessed in built-in seats or STAR seats (I like the STAR seats MUCH better, but I think transportation likes the built-in's better). Unfortunately, the district policy (following state law only requiring restraints to 4 y or 40#) is to stop harnessing at 4 y.o. unless we do a ton of paperwork and meetings (which I do if I have kids that can't/won't sit) because suddenly, at 4 years, it becomes a restraint in a negative sense -- its an aversive means of controlling someone's behavior. I can see why our district would not be interested in something like this system. I've heard things that leads me to hope that our head of transportation would like to harness all the 4 y.o., but it is soooooo not in his budget. So, if had the $$$ to buy something like this, he'd probably put it towards harnessing the growing number of 4 year olds riding school busses -- both in funding the seats and the extra staff/time they require. For what its worth, most of these kids probably aren't in any sort of seat at home.

Tina
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders

Kabes

I think it is an amazing idea! Unfortunately, probably just a dream for most school districts due to cost. Kudos to you for all the time you spent on those buses and all the headaches you must have endured!!!

On a side note- this is a true story that happened to someone I know personally. There was a school bus owned by a YMCA in NJ. One day they were going on a trip and some sort of alarm kept sounding and they couldn't start the bus. Finally, they buckled all the seat belts which solved the problem and the left for their trip. The person I know was on her way to a funeral and her cell phone fell under her feet. She was reaching for the phone and ran into the bus. She was hurt pretty bad but the kids on the bus were all fine despite the fact that the bus was prety mangled. She was so greatful that whatever happened on the bus that day caused all those kids to be buckled in!

I wonder if something as simple as this could help or if the driver would just buckle all the belts before he/she left in the morning and no one would ever unbuckle them to put them on.

As a parent I avoid having my child ride the bus as much as possible. I know my oldest listens to me and sits down and back and says put. I can't be so sure about my others (they just have a different temperment). I truely wish the technology you worked on was on every school bus.

Some of us may even need it in our personal vehicles - lol. I have met one or two Houdinis.

Jmark

It wasn't for the Houdini's at all. it was to ensure that restraints were bing used and nothing was being skimped on. The Restraint check was supposed to be an ancillary feature, however the students on/off the bus was also designed to supplement attendance records.

as for $$$ it was unfeasable for school districts to have it..

The id tags were about $1.50 a piece (looked like a thin sticker) and the equipment was over $5000 per bus.
plus a cell phone data plan of $65/month per bus!!!!

Our service was $120/month per bus as well.

Kabes

It wasn't for the Houdini's at all.

I just meant I have a five year old who likes to escape from her car seat. I dream of this type of technology for my personal vehicle so I wouldn't need to keep checking on her. She makes me feel very distracted when she is determined to retreive something in the car. (a secondary application - if I were rich)

Is it over? Are there ways to push to have it used? What is the next step?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC