Disposal of expired seats

zactayaus

I have two expired seats (one expired this Dec. and the other this Feb.) that are sitting in my closet and I just want to know the safest way to get rid of them. Can I just put them in trash bags and throw them out. Should I cut the straps first? Any insite?

ADS

TXAggieTech

I take a sharpie and write DANGER and DO NOT USE all over the seat as soon as it is out of commission. Then I either break it down into as many pieces as possible and throw it away in separate spots or give it to a few guy friends who use them for target practice.

At checks I have seen a few seats come through that had to have been the results of dumpster diving. You want to make sure that there is not enough for it to be used by an UNreasonable person as a seat again.

indigoblossom

how funny...i was just going to ask the same thing as i'm buying something in store today, while waiting for an online purchase of a recaro or compass true fit later on. i need to get rid of our old roundabout ;)

zactayaus

My 17 year old son will like the idea of being able to trash something. I'll give the seats to him and his friends to see how dismanteled they can get them. They'll have a blast.

TXAggieTech

Just wanted to throw in I save all the covers and the stupid little plastic cover pieces that always get lost so I have spares.

Last edited:

Mama!

I let teenagers trash seats once. I went to a huge charity yard sale and found 9 ? ancient expires nasty seats. I left as the boys were outside bashing them to bits :D

TerisBoys

Once my Futura officially expires (October) I'm going to see how it and a couple expired RightFits hold up to a semi :)

Gotta love a guy that drives a BIG truck...No way in heck they'll be useable after that - and he'll have fun doing it too :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC