onyx cover questions

melniemi

It has been below zero - like 20 below a lot this winter. Will the onyx be cold in cold weather? Or hot in hot weather? Ds2 is a sweater.

I was planning to get the huntington, but if I can save $20 each, I may go with onyx. The boys would probably think black seats are cool, but I like the huntington - and it matches my van:whistle:

Thanks!!

ADS

Airforcemomma

My son has onyx covers on his seats and he's never complained about the seat being too hot or too cold. Being in Canada, we get extremely cold winters and hot humid summers.

I generally try to warm the van up for about 5-10 min's in the morning before getting in and vice versa in the summer to cool it down.

The outer fabric is a plush velour type fabric while the fabric in the center of the seat is a nylon type.

I much prefer the black onyx to the lighter plusher fabrics mainly because it matches my grey interior very well and it hides the dirt well.....lol

I'd say go for it.....I think you'd be happy with the onyx and having used the onyx covers on all my britax seats for my son I've never had one complaint about it.

Airforcemomma

It has been below zero - like 20 below a lot this winter. Will the onyx be cold in cold weather? Or hot in hot weather? Ds2 is a sweater.

I was planning to get the huntington, but if I can save $20 each, I may go with onyx. The boys would probably think black seats are cool, but I like the huntington - and it matches my van:whistle:

Thanks!!

Also wanted to mention that my son is a sweater too, he can get away with wearing summer jammies to bed when it's -20C and still be warm.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I just helped a friend install hers and felt that the onyx was colder in the bum area then the more plush ones. And it is cold where I am (when I helped her it felt like -36.6F) cold enough for the belly pad to freeze stiff on the regular plush seats :rolleyes: Her ds didn't complain and I don't think it would really make a big difference.

melniemi

I'm torn:eek:

I think I want huntington because I love the plush covers and it matches my tan interior, but saving $30-40 sounds nice too!! Maybe I'll wait and see what the other sites have for prices before I order.

Thanks for the input!

Kabes

I had an onyx MA for four years and none of my 3 kids who rode in it ever had a problem with hot or cold. We live in Virginia. When I had to replace it due to an accident I got 2 Regents in onyx because I liked the cover, its gender neutral, and it matches the Radians I got.

Synchro246

I'm torn:eek:

I think I want huntington because I love the plush covers and it matches my tan interior, but saving $30-40 sounds nice too!! Maybe I'll wait and see what the other sites have for prices before I order.

Thanks for the input!

Go for matching!

melniemi

lol - that's what I am leaning toward - with a croc or tan swirl ma for baby and a cappuccino true fit for dd1! To swap out w/brooke and monet when I need a dose of pink:D

HEVY

I chose the Huntington for plushness as well as matching, I found out later the madison was also a bit plush and is really cute for girls but it didn't match my car. I go for matching.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Good thread - I'm in the same boat, trying to decide b/t Onyx vs Taylor (Diplomat). The Onyx will match DS's Manhattan Radian in DH's Black Jeep. :eek: DD won't ride in there nearly as much as in my van, so maybe we'll go for it.

FYI, the black fabric on the Onyx is polyester while the plush covers are nylon which is why I don't want it as DD's *primary* seat. I really didn't care for the Onyx on a Regent when I was considering that for DS's primary seat for that reason. The fabric bothers me - not the slick part but the other part. Feels... cheapy? I'm sure others will disagree but that's just my opinion so I thought I'd toss it out there. :twocents:

Synchro246

Good thread - I'm in the same boat, trying to decide b/t Onyx vs Taylor (Diplomat).. . . The fabric bothers me - not the slick part but the other part. Feels... cheapy? I'm sure others will disagree but that's just my opinion so I thought I'd toss it out there. :twocents:

The taylor is so pretty. I agree that the plain black plush isn't as nice as the other micro-texture plush covers. It's directional. The other ones you rub back and fourth and it's constantly smooth, the onyx you rub back and fourth and it's more like petting an animal-- smooth, not-smooth, smooth, not-smooth.
Does that make sense?

USmominOz

I have the Onyx Regent and if my car will be parked in the sun then I have to cover it w/ a towel because it gets way too hot and dd will not sit in it. I did buy the Huntington cover and she will not use it.

BudgieStew

We have an Onyx cover on for the winter and yes the middle feels colder then the plush covers do or the sides.

DD does say cold when I strap her in and I assuming its because her butt is cold.

But it covers up the dirt so well for the winter for a RF child.

Emily'sMom

I snapped up an Onyx (to save a few bucks) during the Amazon sale a few months back.. It was $169 after the $30 savings for opening the cc. I really did not like it. DD didn't either.....she sat in to please me, but would have no part of getting strapped into it! I should have spent the extra few bucks.
I sent it back. The good thing about buying directly from Amazon is the return. Select "did not meet my expectations" and they pay the return cost.
My Madison is on it's way from BU, and I got to use that $30 credit for opening the card! (thanks to your little alert).
I say go for the Huntington. Your gonna live with this choice for 6 years.

steph

Ryan gets hotter in the Onyx than the Park Avenue. He doesn't complain though because he can't really express himself like that yet:p!!! Ryan sweats anytime he falls asleep.

I much prefer the Park Avenue over the Onyx - the plush part on the onyx is too plush and I don't like the "windbreaker" feeling of the center fabric!!!

I say go for the one that you want.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC