Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Look At this "thing" found on Ebay!

While searching for pictures of car seats for my research project i came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Childs-Car-Safet...QQcmdZViewItem

Its a pad the child sits on and then wraps the seat belt under a tounge device and concects the shoulder belt to the pad with a plastic clip. I cant believe it passed tests nothing holds it that i can see excpet the childs own weight. Not only does it appear unsafe but i dont think a child could do this themselvs its much easier to use a booster and just check them than trying to use this 'thing'

wow scary.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

I was looking at husky's on ebay and saw someone trying to sell a super elite for 89.00 starting. I went to emial them on manufacter date and to say they are only good for 6 yrs and luckily it was gone. I thought they had also been recalled. Who knows if it was fixed.
    Ebay can be scary.

Senior Community Member
    Actually, I can't say it looked unsafe to me; it's just a different style of booster really. (Nothing holds that but the child's weight and the seat belt, either.) It does look like a pain to use however. It would be hard to get the lap belt tight enough I think. It also is only approved for Europe.

Julie

I'm glad it's not approved here - I can just imagine the improper use of it....
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    No Super Elites are old enough to be expired yet, but since they are ALL getting broken by the recall "fix" they are all having to be returned to Britax...I'm glad you emailed them, anyway (maybe they can get a free Husky from Britax and sell it NIB, lol)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    True a booster is held by the wieght of the child and the belt but the belt its looped thru this clip and under this thing and around here.

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing the thing go in crash tests...it's intriguing.
    YES I am a certified CPS Technician...Internet advice is never the same as having someone actually look at your seats, your kids, and your car. Have your seats CHECKED by a Technician.

I'd like to see how the child's femurs fare!

It's difficult to explain, but in a crash it certainly looks like the child's going to "straighten out" at the hips in a crash, which seems like submarining could be an issue. As we all know, the pelvis is normally held down by the lap portion of the belt. Are the femurs stronger than the pelvis? Just thinking about how tight those belts get in a crash really makes me wonder about this product. Seems like it'd snap the bones. Ugh...

That was another thought I had (in addition to the lap belt being threaded through that thingy wrong) ... my dad is a past president of the American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists - he's made lots of sockets/braces for kids who've been in accidents & based on the fact that about 50% of amputees reinjure their stumps immediately after surgery, often times leading to broken femurs & even reamputation, my guess is that the femur is more at risk of injury than the pelvis (considering that he rarely had need to work on peoples' pelvic areas) ... however, of course, O&P isn't the same as crash scenarios, but I'm just thinking out loud *SHRUG*
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Unregistered

Speaking of Ebay...

What are your thoughts of buying a seat on Ebay? I'm looking for a third seat which is harnessed for a 40+lb 3 yr old. Looks like I could get a used Husky for a great price. The Super Elite is recalled? Think it would be worth bidding on one (there are 2), then calling Britax for the fix/replacement? Obviously you have to put faith in the seller that they are telling the truth about it not being in an accident...

Basically it would be like trusting the live of your child to a stranger. I wouldn't take the chance unless it was an authorized dealer. I also don't know about the warranty. Second party might negate it.

Knowing how irresponsible people, including friends, are with their kids and car seats, I would only accept a car seat from a couple of them.

I don't know if I would even trust buying new on ebay just to save $20. After you add in shipping it isn't much of a savings. I have been watching the husky too. Are most ebay one's not authorized dealers?

I wouldn't trust the used one because you don't know how rough they were with it, how many times it was taken in and out, and how they treated it when it was out of the vehicle. I know mine always tend to get banged around more than I would like moving from car to car.

I only have probably a few friends I would take a car seat from.

There are some deals on Husky at babycatalog.com. They are clearancing them for the new Regent release.