Look At this "thing" found on Ebay!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
While searching for pictures of car seats for my research project i came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Childs-Car-Safety-Seat_W0QQitemZ7708666149QQcategoryZ100990QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its a pad the child sits on and then wraps the seat belt under a tounge device and concects the shoulder belt to the pad with a plastic clip. I cant believe it passed tests nothing holds it that i can see excpet the childs own weight. Not only does it appear unsafe but i dont think a child could do this themselvs its much easier to use a booster and just check them than trying to use this 'thing'

wow scary.

ADS

hkrok

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

I was looking at husky's on ebay and saw someone trying to sell a super elite for 89.00 starting. I went to emial them on manufacter date and to say they are only good for 6 yrs and luckily it was gone. I thought they had also been recalled. Who knows if it was fixed.
Ebay can be scary. :eek:

j4m4d8

Actually, I can't say it looked unsafe to me; it's just a different style of booster really. (Nothing holds that but the child's weight and the seat belt, either.) It does look like a pain to use however. It would be hard to get the lap belt tight enough I think. It also is only approved for Europe.

Julie

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No Super Elites are old enough to be expired yet, but since they are ALL getting broken by the recall "fix" they are all having to be returned to Britax...I'm glad you emailed them, anyway (maybe they can get a free Husky from Britax and sell it NIB, lol)

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I'd like to see how the child's femurs fare!

It's difficult to explain, but in a crash it certainly looks like the child's going to "straighten out" at the hips in a crash, which seems like submarining could be an issue. As we all know, the pelvis is normally held down by the lap portion of the belt. Are the femurs stronger than the pelvis? Just thinking about how tight those belts get in a crash really makes me wonder about this product. Seems like it'd snap the bones. Ugh...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
That was another thought I had (in addition to the lap belt being threaded through that thingy wrong) ... my dad is a past president of the American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists - he's made lots of sockets/braces for kids who've been in accidents & based on the fact that about 50% of amputees reinjure their stumps immediately after surgery, often times leading to broken femurs & even reamputation, my guess is that the femur is more at risk of injury than the pelvis (considering that he rarely had need to work on peoples' pelvic areas) ... however, of course, O&P isn't the same as crash scenarios, but I'm just thinking out loud *SHRUG*

U

Unregistered

Speaking of Ebay...

What are your thoughts of buying a seat on Ebay? I'm looking for a third seat which is harnessed for a 40+lb 3 yr old. Looks like I could get a used Husky for a great price. The Super Elite is recalled? Think it would be worth bidding on one (there are 2), then calling Britax for the fix/replacement? Obviously you have to put faith in the seller that they are telling the truth about it not being in an accident...

bake1856

Basically it would be like trusting the live of your child to a stranger. I wouldn't take the chance unless it was an authorized dealer. I also don't know about the warranty. Second party might negate it.

Knowing how irresponsible people, including friends, are with their kids and car seats, I would only accept a car seat from a couple of them.

hkrok

I don't know if I would even trust buying new on ebay just to save $20. After you add in shipping it isn't much of a savings. I have been watching the husky too. Are most ebay one's not authorized dealers?

I wouldn't trust the used one because you don't know how rough they were with it, how many times it was taken in and out, and how they treated it when it was out of the vehicle. I know mine always tend to get banged around more than I would like moving from car to car.

I only have probably a few friends I would take a car seat from.

There are some deals on Husky at babycatalog.com. They are clearancing them for the new Regent release.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC