Need Help on Research Project

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hehe, we've got a few college students among our carseat obsessed ranks... you should get certified! Looks great on a resume ;)

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Cute sig pic, shellebelle....I keep meaning to ask you about graphics for a different project, it reminds me.... ;)

Anyway, I thought retailers were NOT allowed to resell returned seats when the box had been opened...? Am I dreaming that up?

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
bazanna said:
Cute sig pic, shellebelle....I keep meaning to ask you about graphics for a different project, it reminds me.... ;)

Anyway, I thought retailers were NOT allowed to resell returned seats when the box had been opened...? Am I dreaming that up?

Why, thank you :) I worked hard on Captain Clip.

At my last checkup event we got a Triumph (the saga was detailed in another thread here), but SOMEONE had messed with it and it was not safe for use. I don't think Evenflo QA would let it out the door like that, so we were all left wondering if the seat had been returned when the owner couldn't put it back together (why they were disassembling a brand new seat was beyond me). Scary as it seems, it does appear to happen :(

Michelle

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
joolsplus2 said:
Hehe, we've got a few college students among our carseat obsessed ranks... you should get certified! Looks great on a resume ;)

As good as that would look my parents already think i'm nuts for looking at car seats on the interent for hours after class (Which taught me to always tell them when i'm do research as they freaked thinking i was pregnant :eek: )

I think i will become cerified at some time later in life but not now we have a few really good techs at our local fire depos so our town is covered if they take them. I've been to 2 with my boyfriends sister when she had her car seat installed in her car, or in my car, or her mothers car (she doesnt trust herself to do it) I've met several and they all seem to know what they are talking about and get a rock solid install everytime.

I actually intend on being an engineer for a car seat manufactor, i had intended on designing the frames of cars but changed my mond and car seats it is. (more money and more important)

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Dreaming_of_Speed said:
As good as that would look my parents already think i'm nuts for looking at car seats on the interent for hours after class (Which taught me to always tell them when i'm do research as they freaked thinking i was pregnant :eek: )

I think i will become cerified at some time later in life but not now we have a few really good techs at our local fire depos so our town is covered if they take them. I've been to 2 with my boyfriends sister when she had her car seat installed in her car, or in my car, or her mothers car (she doesnt trust herself to do it) I've met several and they all seem to know what they are talking about and get a rock solid install everytime.

I actually intend on being an engineer for a car seat manufactor, i had intended on designing the frames of cars but changed my mond and car seats it is. (more money and more important)

Good for you :) Keep in touch, we'll give you suggestions as to what features seats need and then you'll be the hero of the company when the product you worked on sells out!

I have a few family members who think I'm a little loopy for caring about car seats (I'm a college student myself and have no kids). But y'know, they can go sit in a puddle and cry about it. They have their own little hobbies that I don't give them any trouble about and my hobby has the potential to save lives.

Missing a week of work and pay to get certified was totally worth it, I love what I do!

Michelle

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
shellebelle said:
Good for you :) I have a few family members who think I'm a little loopy for caring about car seats (I'm a college student myself and have no kids). But y'know, they can go sit in a puddle and cry about it. They have their own little hobbies that I don't give them any trouble about and my hobby has the potential to save lives.
Michelle

I may have an obsession, last week i parked next to a girl in a brand new kia and happened to notice she had a OLD car seat (we're talkin' metal frame, twisted straps, overhead shield-obviously expired years ago also it was FF and had the straps in the lowest slots so it had to be a little kid)

I wrote a quick little note that her car seat was unsafe and expired and she needed a new seat. I wrote it nicely. Then next time i attended that class (tuesday and thrusday only) i came out to find a note on my car saying it wasnt her baby and thats what the parents gave her to use and she couldnt afford a new car seat and if i would give her a seat she'd use it but its the only way she was going to get a new seat. I happened to have a break for 2+ hours and a target very close by :) I went over to the local walmart with the plan to buy the touriva, they only had overhead shield ones but they had the Alpha Omega on clearance for 30 bucks. I bought 2, went back and went to put the 1 i got for her down next to her car when she came out of the building, she traded me the old metal frame (perfect for my project) for both seats (she babysits 2 kids 1 infant 1 4 years old who has no booster). She asked for help installing it so i made my first install attempt without a tech there. We installed one rear facing on the pass side and 1 FF on the drivers side. I had a tough time getting a tight install with the RFing seat but finally got it after playing with it.

Without you girls i wouldn't have had a clue that she needed a new car seat, let alone that the baby should have RF.

I decided to go buy the last Alpha Omega the store had in stock on clearance for my project since it is a 3 in 1 i thought it was a good aid. and now i wont have to move my nephews Triumph DLX when i baby sit him which is nice since my car is a tough install (no LATCH, leather sport seats, long seat belt buckles, non locking seat belts.) honestly the easiest install in the passenger seat (no airbags) but i just can put him there and feel comfortable regardless of if the tech says its ok.

Yes definatly let me know what seats need when i'm designing them. 'course i may have a few ideas of my own i intend on having 4 kids! :eek:

Sorry this is so long i have too much time on mondays!

U

Unregistered

Shellebell and Dreaming:

So good to hear of other "carseat freaks" that are in college with no kids.

Some of my family and friends think that I'm nuts, but luckily my boyfriend is as crazy about carseats as I am :)

I am a full time nanny though so I always have kids in my car, and even the parents of those kids think I'm crazy for keeping the little girl RF, long after they have already turned her around.

My "freakiness" was also helpful though when convincing my SIL to keep my then 3 year old niece harnessed instead of going to a booster full time. She ended up buying a MA and now at 4.5 years old, she still has another year or so left in it :)

I'm waiting for the new Fall CPS Training Schedule to come out because its at the top of my priority list, so hopefully I'll be certified soon.

I'm just glad to see there are other college-aged car seat freaks out there!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Man, I would so love to get certified! Alas, my foster parenting & childbirth education certification is taking precedence - since 1 is free & the other is getting paid for by someone else :eek: But, my new guy is aware that when we start growing our family I am going to quit working for my parents & squeeze CPS tech certification into my life! :p

shashoo

I just wanted to mention that I also do not have any kids and am carseat obsessed. I get so irritated when I see kids running around the back of the car unrestrained. My bf thinks I am nuts along with the parents of the kids I watch. I would loved to get certified so I could have an excuse for my "problem". I'm glad to see other people on the board that don't have kids and are also college students. We should start our own club :D lol.

Shellebelle - I keep forgetting to put this on your website for good CPS items. You should make a post-it like pad that has carseat check points and CPS websites on it. That way we can write notes on them when we see expired seats in parked cars and don't have to put all that information on there.
And possibly put the state laws on there too! Just an idea!

Char

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Rut-rohhhhhhhh.........90 clams out the window, 60 of it on a perfect stranger....you got it bad, babe. *snort* ;)

I have a tech friend who regularly shells out about 1100 a month :eek on her personal obsession and addiction, which of course is getting kids into appropriate, properly installed seats. And she works for a fire dept as a paid CPS tech! LOL!

Go get certified, quick, so somebody doesn't sue you for a mistake......

Sincerely, baz, who has two kids under 6 years and has owned, oh, perhaps 12...13(?) carseats...I've honestly lost count :eek: :p

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i needed a seat anyway fot my nephew and it would have cost me 90 bucks for his seat had i not gone to that particular walmart and bought it on clearance so really i didnt lose any money. And knowing my sis in law eventually she will want to pay for the seat and wont bother to ask what i spent, she'll just write a check for what she thinks i probably paid and if i refuse it just makes her mad. so technically it all balances out somewhere.

I have 2 seats at the moment, not including the metal frame one i got from the girl at school, and a base for snugride i used with my nephew. I have the Alpha omega and an old discovery i bought when i pregnant but never got the chance to use it (one day i'll get rid of it, i never use it b/c its a 3 pnt. but its something i cant just throw away) So i'm a long way away from 12. One day maybe i'll have 12 (i hope not) and i dont intend on buying anymore strangers seats, she asked for help and i gave it to her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC