Does anyone own a pre-2001 Caravan/Grand Caravan?

agurlsride

If so, do the seat belts lock? I checked a 2000 Grand Caravan out today and could not figure out how to lock the seatbelts..I thought this would be standard in a car of this year. I pulled the belt all the way out and nothing happened..it snapped back in like I had just pulled it out a little...which brings me to another concern..I yanked and yanked on the belt and it never locked...what would happen in an accident?? Would they allow the passenger to fly forward? Are these belts defective? Someone with this car please enlighten me. I have to make a decision (after I test drive it...it wasn't ready yet because the dealer had just gotten it) by Monday. Also...has anyone had major mechanical problems with these cars? It has 82,000mi on it which seems great for the age of the vehicle.
All opinions are welcome!
TIA

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We have a '99 Caravan. It has locking latch plates for installing carseats - the shoulder won't lock except in an accident.

HTH!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
They are perfectly safe. They are lightweight locking latchplates that keep the lap portion of the belt tight when buckled. It works by keeping the lap/buckle/shoulder portions all parallel to each other which locks the belt.

The shoulder portion will still move freely. The lap portion stays tight keeping the child restraint in it's correct position. In a collision, the ELR seatbelt will kick in and lock the shoulder portion.

It's very similar to using a locking clip, only there's no locking clip... generally these are the easiest types of seatbelts to install carseats on... which just means they are the most idiot proof for new parents who haven't read their manuals (not saying you do this, just that they work well for parents that don't read the manual). :)

unityco

Thanks!
How do you lock the latch plates and how safe is this?

I believe they are as safe as the ones that lock at the shoulder - they're just different. (Just to assure you, I think you'll find that no driver's position belts lock at the shoulder either. Locking belts are for child restraints.)

You don't need to do anything special to lock them. Just tighten them up and they should hold their place. If they're not, the latch plate may be pressed against the carseat, causing the belts to be misaligned. The belts going in and coming out of the latch plate must be parallel to keep from slipping. If they're not, the belt comes loose. If this is happening to you when you try to install a restraint there are a couple of things you can try.

If you have long buckle stalks (which ours does not,) you can try twisting them up to three times so the latch plate is moved further away from the carseat and doesn't cause the belts to be at a wrong angle.

You can also tighten the belt, then unbuckle it, flip the male end (the end with the latch plate) a 1/2 twist (180°) and then buckle the belt back up. This will stop the belt from slipping.

You can use both of these techniques at the same time if you're having belt slippage problems.

What seats are you planning to put in this Caravan?

HTH!

agurlsride

I believe they are as safe as the ones that lock at the shoulder - they're just different. (Just to assure you, I think you'll find that no driver's position belts lock at the shoulder either. Locking belts are for child restraints.)

You don't need to do anything special to lock them. Just tighten them up and they should hold their place. If they're not, the latch plate may be pressed against the carseat, causing the belts to be misaligned. The belts going in and coming out of the latch plate must be parallel to keep from slipping. If they're not, the belt comes loose. If this is happening to you when you try to install a restraint there are a couple of things you can try.

If you have long buckle stalks (which ours does not,) you can try twisting them up to three times so the latch plate is moved further away from the carseat and doesn't cause the belts to be at a wrong angle.

You can also tighten the belt, then unbuckle it, flip the male end (the end with the latch plate) a 1/2 twist (180°) and then buckle the belt back up. This will stop the belt from slipping.

You can use both of these techniques at the same time if you're having belt slippage problems.

What seats are you planning to put in this Caravan?

HTH!

Thanks for the tips!
I plan on having 2 Parkways and either 2 Nautilus' or 1 Nautilus and 1 Radian.

agurlsride

They are perfectly safe. They are lightweight locking latchplates that keep the lap portion of the belt tight when buckled. It works by keeping the lap/buckle/shoulder portions all parallel to each other which locks the belt.

The shoulder portion will still move freely. The lap portion stays tight keeping the child restraint in it's correct position. In a collision, the ELR seatbelt will kick in and lock the shoulder portion.

It's very similar to using a locking clip, only there's no locking clip... generally these are the easiest types of seatbelts to install carseats on... which just means they are the most idiot proof for new parents who haven't read their manuals (not saying you do this, just that they work well for parents that don't read the manual). :)

Thanks...the fact that they are easy to use makes me feel much better!

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Does the van have bucket seats or a bench for the second row? I have a 2000 grand caravan with a bench for the second row and it's one of the easiest cars I've ever put a seat into. The buckles have no stalk to worry about getting in the way. It's great!

agurlsride

Does the van have bucket seats or a bench for the second row? I have a 2000 grand caravan with a bench for the second row and it's one of the easiest cars I've ever put a seat into. The buckles have no stalk to worry about getting in the way. It's great!

Yeah, this one has a bench seat in the middle row, looks easy to install seats. Have you ever had problems with the Gen3 buckles?

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I've never personally had problems. I am aware of the issues some people have had and it does worry me a little but I don't believe that the risk is great enough to worry about getting rid of it or not using it.

unityco

Thanks for the tips!
I plan on having 2 Parkways and either 2 Nautilus' or 1 Nautilus and 1 Radian.

You're welcome! I just had our Radian in there last week (we don't use the Caravan much.) It initially installed really well on the 2nd row bench in the middle, but then loosened up overnight. I haven't had the Radian back in there to check, but I'm hoping flipping the latch plate will help it hold tight.

Last edited:

agurlsride

Your welcome! I just had our Radian in there last week (we don't use the Caravan much.) It initially installed really well on the 2nd row bench in the middle, but then loosened up overnight. I haven't had the Radian back in their to check, but I'm hoping flipping the latch plate we help it hold tight.

Thats good to know...I'm not really sure what convertible/combo seats to get, I wanted the Radian because initially we were going to have it in a Jeep Cherokee (3 across situation). If I get this Caravan I might opt for the Nautilus' but none of them go with tan interior...grrr...

agurlsride

I've never personally had problems. I am aware of the issues some people have had and it does worry me a little but I don't believe that the risk is great enough to worry about getting rid of it or not using it.

Yeah I checked out the seatbelts today (got to test drive it the car) and it seems really easy to unbuckle the belts...I just tapped them with my knuckle and they unlatched. I'm not worried about the kids in harnessed seats but during the summer I will have to have 3 in a row with a stepson who is 10 and out of a booster..he is not very careful about where he puts himself or how he moves around..I get worried that he will accidentally unbuckle someone.
I think if I put him in the third row on the driver's side it would solve the problem since he wont be near anyone's buckle but his own.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Yeah I checked out the seatbelts today (got to test drive it the car) and it seems really easy to unbuckle the belts...I just tapped them with my knuckle and they unlatched. I'm not worried about the kids in harnessed seats but during the summer I will have to have 3 in a row with a stepson who is 10 and out of a booster..he is not very careful about where he puts himself or how he moves around..I get worried that he will accidentally unbuckle someone.
I think if I put him in the third row on the driver's side it would solve the problem since he wont be near anyone's buckle but his own.

Mine are actually quite difficult to unbuckle compared to some buckles I've seen. It only worries me because the button sticks up so far.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC