Utah booster seat bill

crunchierthanthou

HB 140 – Child Restraint Device Amendments (Cosgrove, T.), is currently on the Reading Calendar of the House Floor. That is good news. However, tomorrow, the Calendar will be wiped clean and a “sifting” of the bills will begin. This means that the bills will all go back to the Rules Committee that will let them out to be placed on the calendar as they see fit.

This is a bill to increase the minimum booster age from 4 to 8 years. I am so frustrated. First it was held up in the Rules committee, then was delayed after they'd promised to let it move onto the Law Enforcement committee. They finally let it out and onto the floor, but there are so many inconsequential bills that it never made it to the top (497 total, this session). Now they're nearing the end of the session and all bets are off. :(

Anyone want to pretend to be a Utahn and write some local representatives? ;)

ADS

mburks26

Im going to ask a stupid question I have a friend in Utah and her dc is 7 in a booster and can not fit into any harness seats but the regent maybe would that new law/bill if passed would be that since the dc is not 8 they have to be harnessed? all kids would need to be harnessed until 8 yrs then they move to a booster? what if the kids can only fit into regent and the regent is not afforable no will fit into the car truck etc?

sb518

Im going to ask a stupid question I have a friend in Utah and her dc is 7 in a booster and can not fit into any harness seats but the regent maybe would that new law/bill if passed would be that since the dc is not 8 they have to be harnessed? all kids would need to be harnessed until 8 yrs then they move to a booster? what if the kids can only fit into regent and the regent is not afforable no will fit into the car truck etc?

This does not mean harnessed seats only, it means until age 8 a child would need to be in an appropriate restraint device, whether it be a booster or a harnessed seat. Here a description of the bill:

This is a bill that would require the operator of a motor vehicle to provide for the protection of a person younger than eight years of age by using an appropriate child restraint device with the exception of children who are 57 inches tall or taller.

Right now it is only 4 years/40 pounds. So by law, parents are not required to use ANYTHING after that point. We want that changed to age 8!!

:)

mburks26

This does not mean harnessed seats only, it means until age 8 a child would need to be in an appropriate restraint device, whether it be a booster or a harnessed seat. Here a description of the bill:

This is a bill that would require the operator of a motor vehicle to provide for the protection of a person younger than eight years of age by using an appropriate child restraint device with the exception of children who are 57 inches tall or taller.

Right now it is only 4 years/40 pounds. So by law, parents are not required to use ANYTHING after that point. We want that changed to age 8!!

:)

oh ok it just said the minium age for booster use 4 to 8 that confused me . here were I am its 5 or under 36 inches which ever comes first regardless of weight if a 2 yr old was 36. something leally could use a belt which sucks. Thanks for clearing that up.

zactayaus

I live in New Jersey and our law is a child must be restrained in a child seat (harness or booster) until they are 8yrs or 80lbs. And recently I have seen both bill boards and commercials in my area that say something like "4' 9" is the magic number, until then kids should be in a child safety seat." I'm glad their putting a height on this issue now because we all know that not all 8yr olds are going to be 80lbs or even tall enough to sit with an adult seat belt positioned properly. I would love to see our law changed to at least 10yrs or 80lbs.

crunchierthanthou

Christine, sorry for the delay. I was on vacation until today. I haven't seen any more updates. Please write or call your local representative and the House leadership and Rules committee and let them know that you support the bill.

House Leadership
Speaker of the House – Greg Curtis gcurtis@utah.gov

Majority Leader – David Clark dclark@utah.gov

Majority Whip – Gordon Snow gsnow@utah.gov

Assistant Majority Whip – Brad Dee bdee@utah.gov

Minority Leader – Brad King brad.king@ceu.edu

Minority Whip – David Litvack dlitvack@utah.gov

Assistant Minority Whip – Carol Spackman Moss csmoss@utah.gov

House Rules Committee

Chair, Steve Urquhart surquhart@utah.gov

Vice-Chair, Greg Hughes greghughes@utah.gov

Jim Dunnigan jdunnigan@utah.gov

Kevin Garn kgarn@utah.gov

Mike Morley mikemorley@utah.gov

Mark Walker mwalker@utah.gov

Jackie Biskupski jbiskupski@utah.gov

Neal Hendrickson nhendrickson@utah.gov

christineka

Thanks! I've done that. My representative already responded and said she was supportive of the bill. I hope we can get this passed. I see so many unsafe kids around here and I wish something was done to get parents to transport their kids safer.

Christine

crunchierthanthou

thanks, Christine. Here's the latest update-

HB 140 was not heard on Friday, February 22 because of time restraints. Although it should be reappearing on the floor again soon. Please contact your legislature and let them know you support HB 140 and they should too! Thanks to everyone who has been sending emails. Even though you may not have received a response back, we have heard numerous times that they have received many, many emails! Good Work. Six days left of legislation. Go get’em!

fingers crossed! :)

N

nathansmom2003

I emailed mine yesterday. Did you see the story on ksl.com? I can't believe some of the comments made by some of the people on there.

Dillipop

I really hope this passes. I cringe every time I go visit DH's family and see all the kids in seatbelts, lap belts, no belts, etc. His family knows that my kids go no where without their seats, but they just haven't gotten it through their heads that it is important. Ugh!

I wish I still lived out there and could write in to support the bill passing the senate!

sb518

I just emailed more people from my work email account. I hope that having "ER" attached to mine will count for something. :whistle:

sb518

I'm going to be watching until I have to leave for school. TWO more to go before ours!!! I really hope it passes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC