tandem or side by side??

Tandem or side by side?

• tandem

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • side by side

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

Misty-Bug

not sure what I should do but I know I need to do something. I liked the looks of the one lovingwaves had posted in her siggy at one point, the one that was on the far left but I also LOVE the BOB and have heard they would be great for all purposes and getting through doors.
Right now I have an old school graco. It was free. It is a tandem. But....it steers to the right so I have to compensate. I have a bad left shoulder and am now finding it start to hurt more now that the kids are older and heavier. Plus it shakes and is ripped and the foot thing in the front is falling off.
I just found out that I will have the daycare boy all summer so that makes me even more eager to get a new stroller cause I want to go out with them.
What is going to be easier on my shoulder? Side by side with weight more distributed or straight out in front. I TOLD my husband I am getting a stroller with the tax return money considering he won't let me get my camera. I need to get something cause I am walking more and wanting to get in shape. There won't be any heavy jogging. MAYBE light.
My interests are the BOB or the Graco (not the duoglide though).
So I guess me research starts here.....lol

ETA:
lots of hits for the side by side. Would it be easier on my shoulder? Input would also be great for me. thanks

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

IMO, the difference between side-by-side and tandem is like driving a Suburban (SBS) vs driving a school bus (tandem). :twocents:

I had a Graco SBS for the boys and LOVED it.

Melanie

I voted side by side, which is funny since I just bought a Graco Quattro tandem.

The side by side will be much easier to push. If you aren't going to frequent small shopping areas you don't need the "skinnyness" of a tandem.

NVMBR02

I think in general side by sides are easier to push. A friend of my have a Jane owertwin and I love that stroller, but the almost $600 price tag is a bit steep for a stroller that has small seats.

lovinwaves

Well, what is your budget?

Have you checked your local Craigslist or something similar?

There aren't many tandems that have air tires.

You said you live in a high-rise, so what about the BJ mini double? Lightweight, easy to take upstairs, folds easier, and smaller than most joggers. The 8inch wheels will be better than the standard smaller wheels you find on strollers.

Misty-Bug

well I am not sure what kind of budget I will have. I told my husband that I am GETTING a double stroller. I am really thinking the BOB stroller. My doorway is 35" wide. Just need to find someone with one so I can get measurments. The cheapest I found it in Canada thus far is $549 on sale from $649.
I would like to get it from the US but it is $529 the cheapest and I will have to pay border taxes. And I heard that can be expensive.

lovinwaves

It will fit through a 35inch door with ease. It is narrow enough to fit anywhere a wheelchair can.

A - Wheel Base
Swivel mode 28.2in (71.6cm) / Jogging mode 34.1in (86.6cm)
B - Overall Length
Swivel mode 51.4in (130.5cm) / Jogging mode 57.3in (145.5cm)
C - Handle Bar Height
40.7in (103.5cm) D - Width
30.8in (78.2cm)
E - Interior Seat Width
13.5in (34cm)
F - Folded Length, wheels on
Swivel mode 38.8in (98.5cm) / Jogging mode 38.8in (98.5cm)
G - Folded Height, wheels on
Swivel mode 19in (48.3cm) / Jogging mode 19in (48.3cm) H - Folded Length, wheels off
Swivel mode 33.7in (85.5cm) / Jogging mode 33.7in (85.5cm)
I - Folded Height, wheels off
Swivel mode 13.2in (33.5cm) / Jogging mode 13.2in (33.5cm)

TXAggieTech

The main reason I said tandem is typically most people that is see pushing side by sides seem to have very poor posture, which makes me think back pain.

Could you buy a nice single and add a caboose bar? It just depends on how you would think your DS and daycare child would do with sitting/standing on the back.

firemomof3

The kids would not do well with a sit and stand or things like that. They like to be together. They are not even 2 yet.

I've had the Phil & Ted which was great but not for older kids (over 3years old) So now I have the Baby Jogger City Series Double stroller. I bought this over the Bob stroller because it will fit through any standard size doorway easily. I've been to the mall with it, even the doctors office and its really awsome. It also has a 100lbs. load limit so you'll have this stroller for years. Its so easy to collapse, beyond easy to steer and maneuver. I really think you should check out this stroller before you buy the BOB.:)

Rosey

I always say tandem if you go out and about alone a lot. The side by sides fit through "standard" wheel chair size doors. So if you walk up to building and say it has a double door entry one door usually isn't wide enough, or you have to somehow get the door all the way open and push the SBS exactly straight through or manage to open both doors with legs wide apart to keep them both open while you back in. Leads to embarrassing moments. Let's just call the above a hypothetical situation ;)

However, I did notice that the Inglesina Swift twin's wheel all swivel. I assume that means if you had to you could turn that baby sideways and push it through a skinny asile or door. I would have checked into that before getting my tandem had I known.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC