Safest mid-sized sedan?

twom

Looking to the future, I really want to get a different car a year or two from now, hopefully by the time my oldest is coming out of a booster. I'd like to stick with a mid-sized sedan, and safety is a huge priority. I absolutely want head support and 3-point belts in every seating position, as well as side-impact protection (SAB and body structure, hopefully). Money is a big issue, so I know it won't be something top-of-the line. I don't care who makes it or what it looks like or how fun it is, it just needs to be safe, dependable, and affordable. I've been looking at the Hyundai Sonata, 2006 and newer, as they get great frontal and side-impact crash test scores, and it looks like they have adjustable head rests in all the positions. It gets pretty good reviews on edmunds too. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me? What else should I look for while doing research?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sonata is a great choice. The new Taurus/Sable is also top of the line, but not sure if it is considered mid or full size these days. It should also depreciate nicely by the time you buy. Some used Camry and Accord years are also very good choices for safety, but they usually command high resale prices.

A Subaru Legacy like the 2.5i Limited can be equipped with optional stability control and would also be a good choice.

twom

I did look at the Taurus, but they all had low seat backs in the back. It looks like the '08 model does have head rests. It's hard to tell if the middle one is able to be raised or not though. I really want to make sure that every seating position is usable for anyone. I'll keep it in mind though, and maybe see one in person when the time actually comes to go shopping. I'm afraid an '08 is going to be out of our price range though. Thanks for your thoughts!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I did look at the Taurus, but they all had low seat backs in the back. It looks like the '08 model does have head rests. It's hard to tell if the middle one is able to be raised or not though. I really want to make sure that every seating position is usable for anyone. I'll keep it in mind though, and maybe see one in person when the time actually comes to go shopping. I'm afraid an '08 is going to be out of our price range though. Thanks for your thoughts!

In two years, a base level 2008 Taurus will depreciate quite a bit... Not as cheap as a 2006 Sonata, but quite possibly cheaper than a 2006 Accord or Camry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC