novel reason for ERF...

singingpond

and, no, it's not another safety message ;).

After almost 7 years of having a RF seat outboard in our vehicles, I am close to turning DS#2 FF (3 y. 3 mo. old, weighing close to 33 lbs. now). DD (almost 11 m.o.) will remain RF in the center, since that's how the seats fit best, and how the three children tolerate each other best, LOL.

Anyway, I'm realizing that my nice junk storage space under/behind that outboard RF seat is about to disappear. Where am I going to put the: several pairs of spare adult and kid shoes, several sections of pool noodles for potential seat installs, extra bottles of oil (my car has >160,000 miles, and needs regular sips), pairs of work gloves, empty supermarket shopping bags awaiting re-use, roll of paper towels, box of crackers in case someone is starving after preschool, etc., etc. ???

After 7 years, I've gotten used to this extra cargo area :D. Maybe an ERF selling point, for parents who don't seem to care about safety statistics :rolleyes: ??

Katrin

ADS

skipspin

I thought that fact that I liked it when DD was Rfing because I could get ice cream and not share was a good one... One day she busted me plaing with a toy with a hand mirror on it. Let's just say that toy is no longer in the land of the living...

You could always get a soft cooler to put under your DS#2s feet to put junk in. It makes a nice footrest and stores lots of stuff...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, totally! I bought my Britax Verve stroller just because it fit perfectly behind my RF seats in the van (so I wouldn't have to truck around to the rear door and open that beast just to put a stroller in!).

Yup, excellent reason (I hope Leah takes 2 more years to hit 35 pounds, lol).

Mama!

I thought that fact that I liked it when DD was Rfing because I could get ice cream and not share was a good one... One day she busted me plaing with a toy with a hand mirror on it. Let's just say that toy is no longer in the land of the living...

You could always get a soft cooler to put under your DS#2s feet to put junk in. It makes a nice footrest and stores lots of stuff...

OMG LMAO, she busted you with a hand mirror?

Kabes

I bought a single plastic storage drawer to put in that spot. It corrals all the stuff so it doesn't become a projectile in an accident, and allowed my preschooler to climb up into the seat herself/himself (depending on which kids was using it at the time).

minismom

Do you all have minivans or what? I'm confused, I don't have some much room there! Specially with the RF tether, I can only put small low things on the floor, even the diaper bag would interfere with the tether...

singingpond

Do you all have minivans or what? I'm confused, I don't have some much room there! Specially with the RF tether, I can only put small low things on the floor, even the diaper bag would interfere with the tether...

Definitely not a minivan in my case -- an older Corolla. I suppose all the stuff I have there is small and low, but all the separate objects do add up, despite their modest size individually. I'm definitely sad to see my convenient storage space disappearing. I may try the box or cooler idea, but it has to be something sturdy enough for the 3 y.o. to tromp around on top of it :).

The tether straps don't seem to get in my way, and I have two of them running through that space -- one from the outboard seat to the outer track on the driver's seat, one from the center seat to the inner track on the driver's seat. Gee, I just realized I'll actually have to put my snowbrush back in the trunk area now, rather than having it conveniently at hand under the children :D. And the back hatch handle is semi-broken... Hey, did I mention the car has 160,000+ miles... but no plans to replace it any time soon.

Katrin

libranbutterfly

That is the home for my diaper bad and other baby stuff. I would be so sad to see it go.

:yeahthat: I love only having to open one door. When we stop, I turn around and unbuckle Kamille. I get out, grab the bags from under the RF seat, Get Lexi as Kamille climbs under Lexi's seat. I have tons of room for all the girls daycare stuff (3 bags on Mondays/Fridays.)

niccig

DS has been FF since January - and I agree, now there's no room to put anything. It was diaper bag storage area. I like the idea of the plastic storage drawer or a soft-sided bag to help corral some things.

twom

So how does all this work as far as projectile hazards? I thought that anything not strapped down that you wouldn't throw at your child's head was a really bad idea?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Having things on the floor compartmentalizes them. They cannot move forward or back, they simply will go up and then down. And if you have a RFing seat in the space above that then the stuff can't even really go up.

Compartmentalization is how buses work. The kids can't go forward or back without hitting padding. Just up.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC