Britax changing LATCH limits to 40 lbs

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
ok I was looking at this page because of another thread. It apears they are lowering the LATCH weight to 40 lbs for the 2008 models. The BV states this on page 2 of the 08 manual. The 08 manual is not here, but you can read it it you go directly to the product and look at it there. It also says 40 lbs. :(

Looks like it is only for 2008 models though.

ETA: Technogranola helped to discover this too.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
And here I am hoping that Britax will up RF limits for Canada and there they are lowering LATCH limits.....GRRRR. Frustrating.

It does not affect me much as I prefer seatbelt installs, but I see this affecting some people. I hope they up your RF limits.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It does not affect me much as I prefer seatbelt installs, but I see this affecting some people.
You know, I do too! A seatbelt is designed to hold hundreds of pounds, so I feel better with it than these anchors that can't hold a child and a car seat after a certain weight. Plus, I find the seatbelt easier to get tight because I can pull on the shoulder belt portion which is easier for me than pulling on the smaller lower anchor strap.

I hope they up your RF limits.
Me too, thanks. :)

PixieEMT

Interesting! Thanks for that link.

I just found out the other day my sister has a 2002 Cavalier sedan. With no lower anchors. :eek: Apparently fleet vehicles don't have the lowere anchors! :rolleyes: She has top anchors on the filler panel but nothing in the bite of the seat! I even checked the manual and there are no visible marks (dots,anchor) on the seats themselves.

Doesn't bother me, I get a rock solid install with the lap/shoulder locking latch plate. :thumbsup:

We learn something new everyday!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Interesting! Thanks for that link.

I just found out the other day my sister has a 2002 Cavalier sedan. With no lower anchors. :eek: Apparently fleet vehicles don't have the lowere anchors! :rolleyes: She has top anchors on the filler panel but nothing in the bite of the seat! I even checked the manual and there are no visible marks (dots,anchor) on the seats themselves.

Doesn't bother me, I get a rock solid install with the lap/shoulder locking latch plate. :thumbsup:

We learn something new everyday!

YW :love:. Her car was on the borderline of requiring them that is probably why she does not have them. The 03 should have them.

PixieEMT

She's looking for a new vehicle . I told her she needs to buy on with headrests b/c I just bought an APEX for her car. :p He's RF in Touriva right now, as soon as he hits the RF limit he's going into the APEX. I couldn't pass it up, they were $80 on albeebaby. :cool:

melniemi

I'm not so thrilled. Seatbelt installs in my captain's chairs are not easy in comparison to latch. Latch is simple, but my buckles are forward of the bight, rigid and angled forward:( Maybe I'll try to replace with 07 models

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
She's looking for a new vehicle . I told her she needs to buy on with headrests b/c I just bought an APEX for her car. :p He's RF in Touriva right now, as soon as he hits the RF limit he's going into the APEX. I couldn't pass it up, they were $80 on albeebaby. :cool:

I hope she finds one that will have everything she needs;)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'm not so thrilled. Seatbelt installs in my captain's chairs are not easy in comparison to latch. Latch is simple, but my buckles are forward of the bight, rigid and angled forward:( Maybe I'll try to replace with 07 models

:( I am sorry. At least you know before you buy. It does not look to affect other models, so Iwould look for 07's

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The way I read it was that you could use LATCH to the vehicle's limits, but if they didn't list anything then assume 40 pounds. So you could use a Boulevard to 60 pounds in a Subaru, or in a Toyota or Nissan which defers to the restraint manufacturer, you could use it to 65 pounds.

That's how I interpreted it.

Wendy

crunchierthanthou

I agree, Wendy. 40 lbs is only for vehicles that don't state a limit.

Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual or contact the vehicle
manufacturer for the maximum weight rating for their
LATCH anchors. Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors) for
installations with children who weigh more than the vehicle
LATCH anchor limit. Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle
manufacturer, assume a 40 pound (18.1 kg.) child is the
vehicle LATCH anchor limit.

another plus is that it does have the 35 lb rf limit in writing. :D

edit: although I don't think that applies to Toyota. They defer to the carseat manufacturer (which would be 40 lbs in this case).

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The way I read it was that you could use LATCH to the vehicle's limits, but if they didn't list anything then assume 40 pounds. So you could use a Boulevard to 60 pounds in a Subaru, or in a Toyota or Nissan which defers to the restraint manufacturer, you could use it to 65 pounds.

That's how I interpreted it.

Wendy

I see whta you are saying, but for vehicles that tell you to refer to the car seat manual they would have to stop at 40 lbs. It only says LATCH to 40 lbs not 65

Chameleon

That's how I read it too. IT's worded how the Regent manual is worded.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
From page 2 of the MA manual:

Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer for the maximum weight rating for their LATCH anchors. Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors) for installations with children who weigh more than the vehicle LATCH anchor limit. Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer, assume a 40 pound (18.1 kg.) child is the vehicle LATCH anchor limit.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
That's how I read it too. IT's worded how the Regent manual is worded.

If you are referd to the the child reastraint manual by the vehicle manual it would be 40 lbs dor LATCH. If your vehicle states a limit you can use it to the vehicle limit. See my quote in the PP :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC