Accept you're not goin to hell if you let babe sit on your lap on occasion

L

LoveMyBug

is the quote from this article

"8. Accept that you aren’t going to go to hell if you decide to let the babe sit on your lap and look out the window on occasion."

if you scroll to the very bottom in her list of numbered items. I just wanted to post this here for comments, I came across it on a board I frequent and of course had a comment on the list #8

http://parentingclub.com/resources/articles/3/5/40.html

Just wanted to post this for comments and chit chat. I of course was appalled

ADS
U

Unregistered

I gave a friend and her 6 yr old a ride from one end of a parking lot across and to another one, no real 'roads' involved. I suggested the booster in the back and she said 'oh no, she'll be fine on my lap' and I said 'no she won't'. They almost walked because of the 'hassle'! The 6 yr old ended up sitting in the back seat with just the belt. She is a large kid and so it wasn't as horrible as it could have been but MY kids were horrified!! I still think about that...'on my lap'...!!!!!
The risks were pretty low but WHAT IF someone backed into us and she tipped off her moms lap into the airbag or windshield. That's the way MY brain works!!
Better Safe Than Sorry,
C.

bazanna

Senior Community Member
You guys won't believe this...yesterday my work held a benefit bike ride as a fundraiser. The local (town is pop. 3500) police rode on a leg of the ride to get to a highway that needed their support and guidance while bikes crossed. I was out delivering porta pots and setting up pitstops and I stopped to see what they were up to when I saw them pulled over checking over their bikes....one of them had a flat.

I offered to take him back to my family's farm, which was only half as far as going back to town to get air in his tire. He threw the bike in the back of the pickup, hopped in, and refused to buckle his seatbelt! :eek: :eek:

He said in my "old Chevy pickup" (only 15 years old) that the seatbelts didn't work anymore anyway and it was "kinda restrictive with all this gear on." :rolleyes: Um, don't they wear those kevlar vests all the time, not just on bike rides?!

Well, I admit with all the farm dirt in them, the seatbelt retractors don't work as well as they should but if no one goes leaning forward all the time, they are FINE. Whatta nut.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Over the weekend, before my car boke down, I stopped at the OLDEST gas station I've ever seen - a pick up pulled next to me & although the seats inside were empty the bed was full of young kids & teens ... all laying down of course so as not to get caught @@ Apparently, death isn't as bad as getting a ticket???

Smiles365

Senior Community Member
:eek: YIKES :eek: !!! I don't think that's a good travel tip to be giving other mothers. That's very irresponsible of her, I wouldn't trust her with my kid, that's for sure!
~Sarah~

L

LoveMyBug

ugh I swear people just dont think!

When I was younger, I had a boyfriend that didnt like to wear his seatbelt. He learned quickly in my car you wear one. Every time he'd unbuckle it id pull off and sit until he rebuckled. I was 16. No one is allowed to ride in my car without a seat belt, not then and not now! Ive lost too many people in car accidents to not be careful about it!

Ive always been big on carseats as well. Any time I had to babysit where I needed to take the child somewhere I made sure the carseat was installed properly.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Good for you! It's funny how people are so careless about car safety. Can you imagine how people would have flamed her if she had said, "Face it, you're not going to hell if you let your kid play alone by the pool sometimes" or "Face it, you're not going to hell if you let your kid play with the chemicals under the sink"

Those things are known, accepted, in-your-face dangers, but most people get in the car a thousand times and nothing bad happens to them, so they can't think they will ever have a crash...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC