ERF Schooling 101 yesterday

PixieEMT

Sitting in class yesterday the topic of carseats some how came up. A girl about my age (25), sits across from me. She has a little girl 7 months old. We started talking about our children and somehow it got to the topic of carseats. Can't remember how.

Any way, I mentioned my DS is still RFing. The lady that sits next to me is in all 3 of my classes. She is a grandma her children are in their 30s. She all the sudden pipes up real loud "How can your son still RF, there is no possible way?!?" :eek: Ahhhhh....then the famous "He's leg's will break" quote came out. Then I kindly explained I'm a CPST and the real dangers/sheer dynamics of a FF crash and what happens in a FF seat. Shoulders held back by the straps, head thrown forward. Then I explained the difference between a child's skeleton (larger head, non-ossified bones and stretchy cartilage) and an adults. The spine literally gets torn from the base of the skull hence: Internal Decapitation. I cited the real case in NZ that is on stuff.com. I said my son is very comfortable and I'll bring pictures.

So I took in pics today. A CPsafety.com Rear Facing Unmatched safety brochure and my CPST binder with all my news articles and propaganda.

GOOD NEWS: The mother of the 7 month old is now considering a EFTA seat for her DD! I gave her some ERF info to read.

BAD NEWS: A girl in my class (not sure of her situation) has a son(11 months old) is in foster care. She must have over heard us talking and I'm glad. She asked "The foster parents and the CY worker said it's ok for him to FF because he's 20lbs...that's not right is it?" :eek: I said "absoultely not." We have no specific law in Pennsylvania about RF.I gave her an "Unmatched Safety" brochure and the NZ article from stuff.com/nz "long road to recovery for little girl" and my business card.

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Wow I'm glad that news article about the little girl from my country is really helping people! :thumbsup: well done to you!

scatterbunny

Awesome story, Pixie! :thumbsup: I get so irked when I hear of Child Services transporting kids unsafely. It's so hypocritical. They take children from "dangerous" homes for fear of their safety, yet they put them in even more danger (statistically) by driving them around improperly restrained. :mad: I've provided information to our local Department of Human Services office because a friend of mine had two kids in foster care who were being improperly restrained. I still don't know if it made a difference, but the one case worker who was receptive to my information did sign up for the 1 day/8 hour CPS class when it was offered here. :D

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am glad you all happen to be in the same class, so you could inform them of how it is. :love:. I hope other will follow what you have said besides the 1st one. Great job :thumbsup:!

Loves2sing

That's awesome! Who knows maybe that one simple conversation could help a lot of children. If that mother whose child is in foster care gives that pamphlet to the Social worker, and she actually reads it, it could help to get her child turned around, and maybe also get the Social Worker to recommend ERF to other foster parents as well. It's amazing what the trickle down effect does! Good work om being calm, organized and super informative!!!:thumbsup:

PixieEMT

I just printed out info from the K-mart site with the EFTA seat and the Girly print scenera. I know her mother baby sits for her while she's in school. I was thinking they might like a Scenera as a cheaper option for the grandma's car.

She said that DD was 15lbs and 26" at her Dr. appointment a couple weeks ago. She said that her DD was on the top set of slots, shoulders flush with it. I explained torso height to her and told her how to measure it. She thought she could get a whole year out of it. I told her she needs to start looking into a convertible. ;)

louisandheather

Hi,

I am a foster parent and have the best car seats and make sure that all children riding with me are restrained properly. I also agree with the extended rear facing as well. The emergency management here where we live provides car seats to all foster children and car seat training for the foster parents. We happen to like the britax and radian seats better than the graco's that they give out , so that's what we buy. The foster care system here is really fantastic which is not the case in many states. It is a shame to see such neglegence on the states part in this case.

Heather

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC