Reuse of Crashed Restraint - Thoughts?

dhardawa

I have been in deep thought this morning. I have been trying to logic out whether or not my wrecked FPSVD can still be used. Here is what I have come up with.

1. The FPSVD is built on a Decathlon shell so, technically, the replacement criteria for the shell are the same as the Decathlon.

2. The seat was unoccupied at the time of the crash so the harness is fine.

3. The seat was installed using LATCH.

4. The crash did not meet the criteria set by Britax for replacement.

Based on this, I'm unconcerned about the shell or the harness. Since the LATCH connectors are not the same as the ones on Britax seats and, to my knowledge, not part of their crashed restraint program and they haven't been tested after a crash, I have a looming question mark. Are they fine? Maybe, but maybe isn't good enough for me. But, if the seat is installed with a seatbelt from here forward (I'd probably remove the LATCH completely to ensure that it is never used again), I can't think of a reason it couldn't be used.

The reason I'm thinking about this is because my neighbors keep their great-nephew all the time and need a seat. Their car doesn't have LATCH. I really can't come up with a reason why they couldn't use this seat. Obviously, I'd tell them everything, but can anyone find a fault in my logic?

ADS

melniemi

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I've been thinking the same thing about all my seats - which also meet the Britax criteria, but all were occupied. I have been using them now and found out for sure yesterday that insurance will replace them. So I am waiting for the sale - then the check will cover the seats I want. I have been considering giving my 2 week old marathon to my sil, but since I don't want to use it for my baby, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to hers - although I keep thinking it'd still be better than her scenera.

mominabigtruck

Sooo I'm confused:confused: It's your seat and it was crashed but you're not going to use it but you feel comfortable giving it to someone else. I'm not being judgemental I'm just wondering where you're going with this.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole reason that you shouldn't take a used seat was because you can't always see damage cause by an accident that wouldn't make a seat dangerous day to day but could impact in a second accident.

I'm of the belief that a used seat is better then none but I don't think a used, crashed seat would be better then none because you have no idea how it will perform in a second crash.

abacus2

I think that while the FPSVD is based on the Decathlon shell, it is made with a different grade of plastic. At least, the shells of my FPSVD and Decathlon seem different. I wouldn't use it unless Britax says it's ok.

southpawboston

I think that while the FPSVD is based on the Decathlon shell, it is made with a different grade of plastic. At least, the shells of my FPSVD and Decathlon seem different. I wouldn't use it unless Britax says it's ok.

that's an interesting point.

i guess a call to britax can help clarify things.

ZephyrBlue

That's tough. I, too, think it would be better than a Scenera, and it probably is just fine, esp. since it doesn't meet Britax's replacement criteria.

That said, I'd call Britax for an official OK before giving it to someone or using it myself. :twocents:

dhardawa

I have been told by my rep that they are the same shell.

dhardawa

Sooo I'm confused:confused: It's your seat and it was crashed but you're not going to use it but you feel comfortable giving it to someone else. I'm not being judgemental I'm just wondering where you're going with this.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole reason that you shouldn't take a used seat was because you can't always see damage cause by an accident that wouldn't make a seat dangerous day to day but could impact in a second accident.

I'm of the belief that a used seat is better then none but I don't think a used, crashed seat would be better then none because you have no idea how it will perform in a second crash.

Not exactly. I'm not going to use it because I have three Marathons and a Boulevard for one baby as well as the FPSVD. It isn't that I don't think it is safe enough for Max, it is that I have seats with better features (specifically the rear facing tether) coming out my ears.

The reason that I'm even considering it is because it is a Decathlon shell and, according to Britax, the Decathlon can be used after a minor crash. The only non-Decathlon parts on the seat are the tether (wasn't in use), the harness (wasn't in use) and the LATCH attachments (were in use). So, my questions is, if I removed the LATCH so it could only be installed with a seatbelt, would it be safe? I can't come up with a reason why it wouldn't be.

Loves2sing

But.... what if you gave this seat to these people to use for their nephew, and they went out and bought a car with LATCH and used LATCH to install it? It may not be the worst option for now, but it might become a bad idea later. KWIM? I *personally* wouldn't want to use it for anyone. In my humble opinion, an uncrashed Scenera would be better than a crashed anything.:twocents: That being said, you are an educated person who has every right to go ahead and do what you choose, but I though I would add in my thoughts.:)

Sorry, I just caught the part you said about removing latch!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
But.... what if you gave this seat to these people to use for their nephew, and they went out and bought a car with LATCH and used LATCH to install it? It may not be the worst option for now, but it might become a bad idea later. KWIM? I *personally* wouldn't want to use it for anyone. In my humble opinion, an uncrashed Scenera would be better than a crashed anything.:twocents: That being said, you are an educated person who has every right to go ahead and do what you choose, but I though I would add in my thoughts.:)

Sorry, I just caught the part you said about removing latch!

I agree, but I'm not very humble. :whistle:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Have you pulled the seat out into the sunlight and examined the belt path very closely for hairline fractures? I haven't seen that mentioned.

We had an unoccupied carseat in a side-impact crash, and the damage was NOT obvious.

indigoblossom

i agree with others that say an official OK from britax is in order.

also, your reasoning for wanting to pass it along and not keep it yourself is understandable, however, i would really examine whether or not i'd put my own child in it. if not, i wouldn't feel comfortable giving it away. as someone else said, it is probably better than a scenera but a sound, intact carseat is better than one that may have been compromised by an impact.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I know it may not seem like there is damage, but I would not feel safe giving it to anyone to use. They say car seats are designed to withstand 1 crash. It does not mean it would fail in another collision, but it just is not worth the risk.

CandCfam

Personally, I would NEVER give the seat to anyone to use. If I really wanted to give them a seat, I'd give them an uncrashed one, and keep the crashed one myself.:twocents:

HOWEVER, It does make me wonder...

WHAT exactly is the point of the NHTSA's Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes stance, if seats are truly dangerous after a minor crash?:confused:

Why have that recommendation if seats are truly not safe after a minor crash?

Niea

I'm not too familiar with the FPSVD, but I do know the Decathlon. On the Decathlon, the LATCH straps use the same beltpath the as the vehicle seatbelt. So maybe the beltpath itself is damaged? Still dangerous even if the seat is installed with the seatbelt and not LATCH. To me, that's even more dangerous than using a Marathon/Boulevard under the same circumstances.

Lea_Ontario

I wouldn't be able to give away a crashed seat, no matter how good it LOOKED, regardless of how minor the crash was. I just couldn't live with myself.

And *if* I was going to continue using the seat myself, I'd want an official word from FISHER PRICE about it being okay to still use (preferably in writing).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC