thinking ahead

wildeyes

i am looking to buy a used car in a year or two, so i was looking at whats new now.
i have.. 2 kids in cr's, one planned for in the future (maybe 3 years from now.)
an apex 65, and an EFTA. i would like to not buy new seats, as getting a car will be expensive enough.
i would like a smaller suv, as long as the backseat is big enough.
i REFUSE to drive a minivan.. ever...
i can spend about $23,000
i really like the look of the murano. but i'm open to suggestions in the style dept :D
whatcha got??

ADS

In a year or two?

Murano is fun to drive and has tons of technology now, but I dunno if this new one increased room much.

New Honda Pilot is coming out, altho it's styling takes just as much getting used to as the Murano.

New Highlander is out. It's exterior dimensions are nice if the big Tahoe type vehicles are a bit too large for your area to park.

Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave are hot right now. I like the looks of all.

Mazda CX-9 (not the 7, the 9).

Ford Edge was hot, but seemed to have hit a wall right now.

The new Lexus RX suv is about to pop out any day now too. Should be like the Highlander, but more stylish.

Oops. Noticed I'm shooting way over $23,000 for some vehicles.

Toyota Rav-4 might be the hottest compact SUV right now. CR-V is always popular, but I'd rather get the Toyota even tho I'm a Honda fan. In 2009 model year, the Ford Escape will finally get updated drivetrains ( currently like 8 yrs old tech ), but the reported specs still seem lacking to me.

wildeyes

yeah the tahoe-sized vehicles are a little too big for my taste, plus the gas milage sucks. thats not my biggest concern, but it is a factor somewhat.
i just want to keep my seats i have now. :) and since i have two pretty big seats i figured i would need a bigger car. i have an elantra now, and although its not a bad car, its just too small.
i looked online at the murano, and the seatbelts come out at the seat bight...
thanks for the help!! i figure i cant afford to buy now, but when i am going to buy the models coming out now will be what i have to pick from.

Synchro246

If you're curious what the safest new cars are I'd probably suggest running down the IIHS "top safety picks"

Top Safety Pick 2008 award winners
Large cars
Audi A6

Cadillac CTS

Ford Taurus with optional electronic stability control

Mercury Sable with optional electronic stability control

Volvo S80

Midsize cars
Audi A3

Audi A4

Honda Accord 4-door models

Saab 9-3

Subaru Legacy with optional electronic stability control

Midsize convertibles
Saab 9-3

Volvo C70

Small car
Subaru Impreza with optional electronic stability control

Minivans
Honda Odyssey

Hyundai Entourage

Kia Sedona

Midsize SUVs
Acura MDX

Acura RDX

BMW X3

BMW X5

Ford Edge

Ford Taurus X

Honda Pilot

Hyundai Santa Fe

Hyundai Veracruz built after August 2007

Infiniti EX35

Lincoln MKX

Mercedes M class

Nissan Murano:)

Saturn VUE built after December 2007

Subaru Tribeca

Toyota Highlander

Volvo XC90

Small SUVs
Honda CR-V

Honda Element

Subaru Forester with optional electronic stability control

Large pickup
Toyota Tundra

This link is to the 2007 & 2006 top safety picks :)
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/tsp_archive.html

firemomof3

I'm in the same spot as you, kinda. I have an 03 Kia Sedona now but looking to upgrade next summer. Unfortunately, we have a German Shepard, Great Dane and 3 kids, so I have no choice but a minivan (actually a small school bus would be better :ROTFLMAO:) But, we did look at the Ford Taurus X and it was really nice. Its bigger than a car but not a minivan. And it gets pretty good gas milage;
16 city/24 highway (Front-Wheel Drive) 15 city/22 highway (All-Wheel Drive)
I mean, lets face it, 4 wheel drive is not really a necessity. I live in the northeast where we have about 3ft. of snow on the ground and my front wheel drive minivan does just great with snow tires!

firemomof3

Do you love it? Ours has been pretty good, but with our next van I would really like to get 3 across the 2nd row to leave the back for the dogs. I think you can with the Honda & Toyota, but they are so expensive!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC