I did it!!! (3 across in 2-door Honda Civic)

Lex

We thought that the addition of our third child meant that we could no longer drive as a family in our efficient 2-door Honda Civic. But we were wrong! I have now successfully installed 3 Radians back there. It wasn't easy, but they are solid, and I feel really good about the install (it did require 2 twists to the seatbelt buckle shaft on both of the FF seats). This is the only configuration that will work, so once the little one reaches the RF weight limit, we won't be able to take the civic places anymore. But it could be another year (or more), since he's 26 pounds now at 15 months. It is so cozy to drive around in this car all together (our other car is a Honda Odyssey, which we still plan to use for all highway travel and longer trips).

Here's a picture. One of my sons isn't in it, but you get the idea anyway.

hondacarseats.jpg

ADS

musicmaj

Great job. I bet that once your little one is forward facing you could fit a marathon in there. A forward facing radian and ff marathon puzzle extremely well together and fit better than two ff radians do. Another option might be to buy your older child a ride safer vest and put him in the middle. Then you would be able continue to fit the whole family in the car.

Lex

I tried to see if two radians would fit with a Boulevard in any configuration, but it didn't work. I think because the middle seat of the car is slightly raised as compared to the outboard seats. The Boulevard doesn't puzzle well at all with the Radians in this car. It's really very cramped back there. That said, the RF seat doesn't impact the front seats at all, which is somewhat of a miracle, I think. It would be more of an issue if the RF seat was in one of the outboard positions.

I will add it to the 3 across thread :)

Lex

mburks26

what yr is your civic? just a thought could you put your oldest in a RideSafe Travel Vest in the middle when the youngest is outgrown the weight for rf and have the Radians still outboard if you have tethers in the center? then when the oldest is ready for a booster or just the seat belt move the next oldest to the center with the vest the vest do not expire you can reuse them unless they have been in a wreck.

I am curious about the width of your back seat - would you be able to measure for me top and bottom.
I am just wondering how different the size is to my xtype jag and whether i would be able to get 3 radians across - 2xff and 1x rf but eventually all would need to be ff.
thanks

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
what yr is your civic?

This thread says that her car is a 2001 2-door Civic.

just a thought could you put your oldest in a RideSafe Travel Vest in the middle when the youngest is outgrown the weight for rf and have the Radians still outboard if you have tethers in the center? then when the oldest is ready for a booster or just the seat belt move the next oldest to the center with the vest the vest do not expire you can reuse them unless they have been in a wreck.

She has 5-year-old twins and a toddler. I am not sure if the twins are around the same size, but it seems that they may be. I can see how it could be a tough situation if the twins both need to be switched to vests at the same time.

U

Unregistered

don't suppose you can find a similar site with xtype spec regarding hip and shoulder room??? That would be great for a comparison!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
don't suppose you can find a similar site with xtype spec regarding hip and shoulder room??? That would be great for a comparison!

According to the same site, for a 2006 Xtype:

Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 37.2, rear headroom (inches): 37.5, front hip room (inches): 54.5, rear hip room (inches): 53.7, front leg room (inches): 42.4, rear leg room (inches): 34.4, front shoulder room (inches): 54.5, rear shoulder room (inches): 53.7 and interior volume (cu ft): 90.3

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC